Credit Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe that either.

And to Rhydal's point I did the same. I got lucky with my mortgage because it was portability and higher arrangement fee that I went for over the better rate but I was aware of the difference in collar. Though at the time I had no idea that interest rates would drop so low. Not to understand how your biggest monthly expenditure will behave seems ridiculous.
In fairness, unless you fix for the full 25 years, no-one can be sure which way their repayments will go.
I took a punt on a building society tracker which rewarded loyalty (the percentage above the base rate decreases after five and ten years and company profits are shared amongst members) at a time when the rest of Europe was entering the Euro. I took the view that we would follow, and interest rates would have to fall in line with European ones which, back then, were considerably lower.
Didn't pan out that well at first, but current rates are a huge bonus.

In fairness, unless you fix for the full 25 years, no-one can be sure which way their repayments will go.

Nobody knows how interest rates will behave but you should be aware of how your mortgage is affected by them and what happens at the end of any fixed period.

and also...these people getting repossessed... one of them had bought a £40k house and owed £120K on just cos he was hen-pecked into remortgaging to redecorate all the time cos she loved the house

and i was surprised by how many people missing mortgage repayments have cars and smoke! er...priorities

And the geezer with £120k mortgage was a builder as well! And none of them thought about renting out their places and moving to cheaper accomodation either but if they weren't being evicted they wouldn't have been on the programme.

And the geezer with £120k mortgage was a builder as well! And none of them thought about renting out their places and moving to cheaper accomodation either but if they weren't being evicted they wouldn't have been on the programme.

and the ones in Lincoln...there was a quote "even the (wifey name) has had to get a part time job at a sausage factory"

oh **** off, you miss three months mortgage and THEN the wife thinks about a part-time job?

the kids are grown up...get a job if you're short of money. no wonder they lost the house

oh and he had a really crappy job...selling mortgages cold-calling from home...urk...how did he arrive at that *career*

I have a friend who works for an admin company. They are currently looking at winding up Focus.

UK export slump drives trade deficit to record level
Tuesday January 13 2009
By David Milliken and Matt Falloon

LONDON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Britain's goods trade gap with the rest of the world grew to record levels in November as the global economic downturn pummelled demand for UK exports beyond the EU, despite a big fall in the value of the pound.
A slump in exports to the United States made up half of the drop in demand for British goods abroad, as the trade deficit with non-European Union countries rose to its highest level since the data series began in 1998.
The Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday that Britain's goods trade gap with the rest of the world widened to 8.330 billion pounds ($12.46 billion) in November from 7.631 billion in October, the biggest since records began in 1697.
Economists had forecast a deficit of 7.5 billion pounds.
The goods trade gap with non-European Union countries jumped to 5.304 billion pounds from 4.437 billion in October.
Sterling fell against the dollar after the figures added to evidence of a worsening economic outlook.
"One thing is for sure, the UK can't rely on the global economy or the fall in the pound to drag it out of its deepest recession since the early 1980s," said Paul Dales, an economist at Capital Economics.

GLOBAL DOWNTURN
The deteriorating trade balance adds to a plethora of factors dragging Britain's economy further into the red in the final quarter of last year.
Policymakers and analysts expect official GDP figures next Friday to confirm Britain is in its first recession since the early 1990s and there are fears that the downturn could be prove to be severe and prolonged.
After a decline in GDP of 0.6 percent in the third quarter of 2008, the National Institute of Economic and Social Research estimates the economy shrank 1.5 percent in the final quarter -- which would be the sharpest drop since 1980.
The Bank of England, which has slashed interest rates to 1.5 percent from 5.0 percent since October, had been hoping that a weaker pound would support British exports and rebalance the economy away from its dependence on domestic consumption.
There has been little evidence so far of any boost, although economists say there is a lag between a fall in the value of the currency and any benefits to the trade balance.
November's export figures make for particularly grim reading. Total exports fell 6 percent and, while exports to Britain's main trading partner -- the EU -- were virtually unchanged on the month, exports to the rest of the world tumbled 12.5 percent.
Exports to the United States fell 645 million pounds -- around half of the overall fall in exports.
"You have to remember that these are volatile figures and it will take a while for the effect of sterling's depreciation to come through," said George Buckley, an economist at Deutsche Bank. "Nevertheless, it's hard to see how Britain's export performance can improve when its trading partners are suffering so much."
Economists have been treating British trade data with caution in recent years due to the effects of import-export sales tax fraud within the European Union, but the ONS says that the effect is now greatly reduced. (Editing by David Stamp)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/13/barclays-job-cuts

The pace of job losses across the economy showed no signs of easing today as Barclays announced it would shed more than 2,000 jobs in the City.
The news followed reports that jobs would also be lost at Merrill Lynch and that Bank of America would shed around 1,900 British staff. Bank of America bought Merrill at the height of the banking turmoil last autumn and wants to cut costs.
Barclays, one of the few banks to shun the government's bank recapitalisation scheme, aims to cut around 7% of its workforce. The bulk of the job losses will be at the bank's investment banking division, Barclays Capital, run by Bob Diamond whose personal earnings regularly top £20m.
A spokesman for the firm said: "We can confirm that we have begun a consultation process to reduce headcount across some parts of IBIM [Investment Banking and Investment Management] to ensure that we are appropriately sized given the current market conditions."
He said the job cuts would be global and figures for UK redundancies were unavailable. But he added that Barclays' retail arm, which includes commercial banking and Barclaycard, would not be affected by the cuts. "We will continue to hire selectively across those parts of the business that are growing," he said.
About 500 jobs will reportedly go at the bank's wealth management division and some at its Barclays Global Investors business. The jobs are premium ones and their loss is likely to have knock-on effects on spending in London and the home counties.
The cuts come on top of 3,500 late last year following the acquisition of parts of the US operations of the collapsed US investment bank Lehman Brothers.
The City directly employs about a third of a million people and job losses are estimated to be heading for the tens of thousands this year as the Square Mile bears the brunt of the losses resulting from the credit crunch, now nearly 18 months old.
House prices are now said to be falling faster in London than in other parts of the country as a result of the damage done to the City and unemployment in the capital is rising fast.
Across the wider economy more than 50,000 job losses have been announced since Christmas and 27,000 Woolworths employees joined the dole queues last week.
Upmarket cooker maker Aga added 400 to that total yesterday and building materials group SIG laid more people off.
Unemployment on the broadest measure rose by about 250,000 last year to just under 1.9 million at the end of October. The Bank of England monetary policy committee's labour market expert, David Blanchflower, has estimated that the total will have risen to 2 million by December and 3 million by the end of 2009.
The damage is now affecting all parts of the economy. Shares in the Real Hotel Group were suspended today amid uncertainty over its financial position. The group, which operates 40 hotels in the UK, made the request a day after revealing sales had slumped by a third in the first seven days of this month.
Real Hotel runs its own brands, Purplehotels and Stop Inns, as well as Comfort Inn, Quality and Clarion hotels which are licensed from Choice Hotels International, and the New Connaught Rooms in London.
On Sunday, earth moving equipment group JCB announced 700 job cuts and retailer Land of Leather said 850 jobs were under threat. Marks & Spencer last week announced 1,200 job cuts while Waterford Wedgwood has called in the administrators, putting 2,300 under threat.
This week began with an awful set of economic surveys from the British Chambers of Commerce, British Retail Consortium and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, all of which showed record lows and suggested the economy had entered a violent downward spiral.
Retailers are suffering as consumers cut their spending in the face of rising unemployment, the housing market is still in freefall because of the lack of mortgage availability and industry is suffering from collapsing markets abroad and at home.

just wait til the Lloyds TSB HBOS merger goes ahead...it will cap them all

Im not surprised Melts they havent really done a lot since Hocus Pocus.
:icon_bigg.............I saw it Lazzer, but a bit before my time though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who works for an admin company. They are currently looking at winding up Focus.

They've been on the way out for some time now. Our local store shut some time ago as part of a slimming down operation.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/finance/union-3-800-jobs-at-risk-at-grattan-$1260877.htm

Union: 3,800 jobs at risk at Grattan

Wednesday, 14 Jan 2009 15:54
job-hunt-square-$7005362$180.jpg
Up to 3,800 jobs could be lost at catalogue firm Grattan according to shop workers union

Up to 3,800 jobs could be lost at catalogue firm Grattan, according to the shop workers union.

Usdaw said its members had been left "totally shocked and distressed" by the news.

David Johnson, Usdaw national officer, said a business review by the Bradford-based firm had yielded the drastic plan.

"No one could have predicted the scale of this announcement putting up to 3,800 jobs at risk," he said.

"I have been told that this decision is not due to the economic downturn but reflects restructuring and repositioning in the traditional catalogue home shopping sector that has seen a steady decline in recent years," Mr Johnson continued.

"Many of the staff have worked for Grattan for a long time and also there are many different family generations who work for the company. They are a very hardworking and extremely loyal workforce.

"It really is a bitter blow to Bradford and the surrounding area."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00