Credit Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many TBers have been or will be made redundant in the coming months?

Wouldn't really tell us much considering most of them are lazy layabouts anyway.

The current Mrs Jeff works for the council and has been told she's getting a wage cut along with hundreds of other people there.

She works directly for the council? Or under some sort of sub-contract?

If the former, I would be surprised if the unions will let it happen.

She works for the council. it was only announced a couple of days ago and seems to be part of a reorganisation of the pay structure rather than a response to the recession. The result seems to be that people who are towards the bottom of the pay scale will be worse off, but those at the top will benefit.

She works for the council. it was only announced a couple of days ago and seems to be part of a reorganisation of the pay structure rather than a response to the recession. The result seems to be that people who are towards the bottom of the pay scale will be worse off, but those at the top will benefit.

Sounds familiar

If a council worker has a job reassessed/regraded downwards, their current salary level should be protected until their new lower grade "catches up".

I presume that Unison (or other appropriate union) are getting themselves involved.

no surprise that its the workers on the 'shop floor' who get shat on but managers/bosses seem immune to it

The current Mrs Jeff works for the council and has been told she's getting a wage cut along with hundreds of other people there.

None of the managers have been asked to take a cut though, and some are getting increases. So obviously that's really helped the morale of the staff :icon_roll

It's the job evaluation scheme which has was agreed back in 1997 with the London councils and the trade unions agreed with the plan way back then.

It's been rolled out at a number of councils, some agreed, others (Staffs) managed to kick it out, whilst we're in the middle of the situation - it spent a year in development before everyone was sent the wrong grades and now it's back on the backburner.

Basically councils use pay grades, this is a re-jig of the pay grades.
For 'fairer' pay apparently - instead it's geared to the managers hence no support in the management ranks.

If a council worker has a job reassessed/regraded downwards, their current salary level should be protected until their new lower grade "catches up".

I presume that Unison (or other appropriate union) are getting themselves involved.

The union was apparently involved in it, and there will be a ballot to decide whether to accept it next month, and any pay cut won't come into effect until next year.
A council spokesman has said lower paid people will benefit, but I think it's mainly those who work outside who will be better off, not the lower paid office workers.
It seems that those office workers who have been there a long time (20+ years in Diane's case) and have taken on a lot of extra responsibilities during that time don't get the recognition for this and they're still on the same level as newcomers who just do menial stuff.

They've all agreed. I am trying to find the stuff on our intranet but it's been cleared off now as they are relaunching the process.

Basically we spent a load of dough on overheads but now we have a new shopping centre and a silly campaign to leak money, so we'll give it a rest for now.

http://www.unison.org.uk/localgov/gettingequal/singlestatus.asp
There's Unison's feeling. They are supportive of the scheme on the grounds of discrimnation but unhappy with the conduct of the system.

i know this is slightly off topic but ill throw it out anyway, can a company force its workers to take a day off (due to them not wanting to open - this was on fri jan 2nd) and take it off their alloted holidays days for that year without even asking them first???

i know this is slightly off topic but ill throw it out anyway, can a company force its workers to take a day off (due to them not wanting to open - this was on fri jan 2nd) and take it off their alloted holidays days for that year without even asking them first???

Check on the ACAS website or give them a call. They offer impartial advice so will give you the answer you need.

This has been happening for a while now. I know of quite a few school support staff who have had their jobs evaluated. Some have lost up to 10 grand a year !!!

This has been happening for a while now. I know of quite a few school support staff who have had their jobs evaluated. Some have lost up to 10 grand a year !!!

Same here, although I don’t know of anyone that has lost quite that much. 3K a year was the figure on the largest re-evaluation I had heard of.

I don't know any school support staff who earn as much as 10 grand a year. I must be doing something wrong :icon_conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00