Credit Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, whether you use FTE or pro rata, I still find it incredible that there are any school support staff that have had their salary cut by 10k p.a.
For many teachers that'd be about a third of their salary.

TBH, whether you use FTE or pro rata, I still find it incredible that there are any school support staff that have had their salary cut by 10k p.a.
For many teachers that'd be about a third of their salary.

10k pro rata...they work about 10 weeks a year 9 til 3

;)

Why don't people just deal in what they get paid? I don't give a bollocks about pro rata, in my bank balance I get £30k a year, I won't benefit in anyway by working out the pro rata

Why don't people just deal in what they get paid? I don't give a bollocks about pro rata, in my bank balance I get £30k a year, I won't benefit in anyway by working out the pro rata

That 30k is not your salary though, that's your net pay. Your salary will be more than that.

That 30k is not your salary though, that's your net pay. Your salary will be more than that.

But I don't care is my point, that is what I get paid (it's obviously not my actual figure, just for representative purposes only) so that's all that concerns me

But I don't care is my point, that is what I get paid (it's obviously not my actual figure, just for representative purposes only) so that's all that concerns me

When looking for a new job or just reveiewing your current employment, it's usually very important to know what you actually earn. You cannot compare your net pay with the advertised 'going rate'.

When looking for a new job or just reveiewing your current employment, it's usually very important to know what you actually earn. You cannot compare your net pay with the advertised 'going rate'.

But surely what I acutally earn is what is being paid into my account every month? Or at least the amount before they take tax and NI?

The amount you earn is what you are paid before stoppages, ie your salary as in a job ad or your contract of employment (although the latter is likely to show a salary grade rather than an amount). What is paid into your account is your take home pay, which is not what you earn.

The amount you earn is what you are paid before stoppages, ie your salary as in a job ad or your contract of employment (although the latter is likely to show a salary grade rather than an amount). What is paid into your account is your take home pay, which is not what you earn.

But what has that got to do with pro-rata? My original point was that I am only concerned with what I get paid (whether take home or "salary") not what I would earn pro-rata.

The Credit Crunch has hit me. :icon_conf :icon_sad: I have to take a 4% pay cut. :mad:

But what has that got to do with pro-rata? My original point was that I am only concerned with what I get paid (whether take home or "salary") not what I would earn pro-rata.

Quite a bit as some job ads will quote a salary of say £30k pro rata, this will mean that the actual salary will be a percentage of the salary scale for that post depending on your hours.

The council tend to do that a lot. £50,000k pro rata but the job is only an hour a week. Never quite undertand why they scale it up instead of just telling it like it is.

Last edited:
A lot of jobs are attached to a particular salary scale, especially in the public sector, so they then just pro rata that down as necessary. I thought that they also had to include an actual salary figure in ads as well, but I have seen some that don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00