Post Match Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also point out that, since the thai stuff picked up, what I have seen on the pitch has not resembled what I have heard in the commentary.

Of course, football is about opinions and Young is more qualified than I on discussing the hustle and bustle of professional football. No denying that. So maybe I'm the ****?

As you know, I think Yakubu was absolutely superb every time I watched him and his stat line supported my opinion. If I had based it on the radio, I wouldn't have that view. How he couldn't see Yak for what he was I found bizarre and driven by forces beyond what he saw on the pitch.

Similarly, it's all well and good having a soft spot for Steve Howard and all his old-school trappings...but surely it's plainly obvious the game has passed him by?

Oh well.

Last edited:
I'd also point out that, since the thai stuff picked up, what I have seen on the pitch has not resembled what I have heard in the commentary.

Of course, football is about opinions and Young is more qualified than I on discussing the hustle and bustle of professional football. No denying that. So maybe I'm the ****?

As you know, I think Yakubu was absolutely superb every time I watched him and his stat line supported my opinion. If I had based it on the radio, I wouldn't have that view. How he couldn't see Yak for what he was I found bizarre and driven by forces beyond what he saw on the pitch.

Similarly, it's all well and good having a soft spot for Steve Howard and all his old-school trappings...but surely it's plainly obvious the game has passed him by?

Oh well.

It's his insistence on trying to seem humorous by referring to Howard as "Frankie" every week that annoys me the most.

I agreed with Young about Yakubu. I disagree about Bamba but I can see where he's coming from, as for Beckford he's yet to convince me that Young is wrong.

I agreed with Young about Yakubu. I disagree about Bamba but I can see where he's coming from, as for Beckford he's yet to convince me that Young is wrong.

Yeah that damn Yakubu, going around scoring goals. What a useless twat.

I don't think he is a racist, he just dislikes any player who is a bit flash (Bamba) or who doesn't work hard enough (Yak/Beckford for not tracking back). Its pure coincidence that some of the players in our squad who have those characteristics are black. I'm sure he would be slating Mills if he tried what Bamba did too.

Not so much that Bamba is flash, he just takes him to task for taking unnecessary risks in his own area.

Against Palace he was extremely critical of Mills for various reasons - nothing to do with his skin colour.

Where did we finish last season? Whereabouts in the table are Blackburn? Why were Everton so keen to get rid?

And that is Yakubu's fault? Look where Bristol and Doncaster are, would you not want Maynard or Sharp? What about Holt or Grahams? Norwich and Swansea aren't going to finish that high. What a stupid argument.

Not so much that Bamba is flash, he just takes him to task for taking unnecessary risks in his own area.

Against Palace he was extremely critical of Mills for various reasons - nothing to do with his skin colour.

He has made it clear that he wants the defenders to be hoof it clear types.

He has made it clear that he wants the defenders to be hoof it clear types.

No he hasn't. But if that clears the danger rather than conceding a goal, what's the problem?

Last edited:
No he hasn't. But if that clears the danger rather than conceding a goal, what's the problem?

I have heard him say several times that he prefers players who get their heads stuck in and get the ball clear. You may have missed it.

I'm sorry, I thought I was making a valid point. I'm going to sit in the corner and think about my actions.

How is the teams position in the league a relevant indication of the quality of a player?

Last edited:
When Yakubu could be bothered he was brilliant, no doubt about that. The goal he scored against Derby is the best goal I've seen a city player score. The trouble was he could only be bothered about 1 game in 3. I saw too many times last season when we were attacking on the edge of the opposition box and Yakubu was just jogging up in the centre circle. When Nugents not scoring he's still contributing to the team, chasing lost causes, tracking back.

When Yakubu could be bothered he was brilliant, no doubt about that. The goal he scored against Derby is the best goal I've seen a city player score. The trouble was he could only be bothered about 1 game in 3. I saw too many times last season when we were attacking on the edge of the opposition box and Yakubu was just jogging up in the centre circle. When Nugents not scoring he's still contributing to the team, chasing lost causes, tracking back.

He's a striker. He's paid to score goals. He scored more goals than any of our strikers we replaced him with.

Put it this way, Yakubu has scored one less goal this season than Rooney. If Rooney played for Blackburn, would you not want him?

We never won enough games last season. It wasn't totally Yakubu's fault but he was part of it. I can put up with players not being world beaters as long as they make an effort, I didn't feel Yakubu did on enough occasions.

Last edited:
We never won enough games last season. It wasn't totally Yakubu's fault but he was part of it. I can put up with players not being world beaters as long as they make an effort, I didn't feel Yakubu did on enough occasions.

but Nugent makes an effort but we're still not winning games.

We'll have to see where we are at the end of the season, but if we're not good enough this season that doesn't prove that Yakubu is the answer.

I'm not saying he is, but he's better than anything we have now. My initial shock was with your using a teams position as showing whether or not a striker is any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669