Speculation Danns to Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ, if it's not over the top lambasting of players for one missed pass, it has to be Stringer instead.

He is a ten fold improvement of the previous commentary team as he is passionate and a genuine fan who actually gets excited when we come close or score as opposed to the other team which is how it used to be. Also, much like we are Leicester City and won't be able to get players like Messi & Ronaldo, we listen to the games on Radio Leicester, a tin-pot local radio station which has no chance of competing with the big national stations to get the best commentators so we have to make do with what we've got and I think he is perfectly good enough.

I thought I was a miserable bastard but some of you lot make me feel like I'm with Mandy & Charlie all the time given the amount of negativity that gets posted on here!

Yeah, I really don't think Stringer is that bad! As you say, it's local radio.

Alan Young on the other hand...

Jesus Christ, if it's not over the top lambasting of players for one missed pass, it has to be Stringer instead.

He is a ten fold improvement of the previous commentary team as he is passionate and a genuine fan who actually gets excited when we come close or score as opposed to the other team which is how it used to be. Also, much like we are Leicester City and won't be able to get players like Messi & Ronaldo, we listen to the games on Radio Leicester, a tin-pot local radio station which has no chance of competing with the big national stations to get the best commentators so we have to make do with what we've got and I think he is perfectly good enough.

I thought I was a miserable bastard but some of you lot make me feel like I'm with Mandy & Charlie all the time given the amount of negativity that gets posted on here!

There is a difference between being a poor quality local radio presenter, which he is, and just making up crap to sound like you are informed and have a story. I have no real issue with the dire performance him and Young offer because I choose not to listen. But when his drivel in the paper and on the phone in starts to influence the more believing members of our fan base, often at the detriment of the club (some fan) then I take umbridge.

You really need to stop getting yourself so worked up over other human beings possessing a different opinion to yours.
Offering an opinion on an Internet forum about a truly appalling commentator isn't being a "miserable bastard", it is just people being honest. Where's the problem in that?
As was proven in the preseason matches, there are others available that can do a far better job of it than Stringy. Being pashunert means ****all when he spends most of the match talking like a **** and it's particularly galling when you have to pay for the privilege of listening to the commentary.

Last edited:
You really need to stop getting yourself so worked up over other human beings possessing a different opinion to yours.
Offering an opinion on an Internet forum about a truly appalling commentator isn't being a "miserable bastard", it is just people being honest. Where's the problem in that?
As was proven in the preseason matches, there are others available that can do a far better job of it than Stringy. Being pashunert means ****all when he spends most of the match talking like a **** and it's particularly galling when you have to pay for the privilege of listening to the commentary.

"City are on the attack and Nugent is through with an empty net... but Former Leicester City Striker Alan Young, what pie did you have when we stopped in that tailback on the A52?"

Ah, the quality.

I suggest you read what I posted again - it was not an attack on Stringer, merely a question as to his media qualifications (or lack thereof).

I suggest you read what I posted again - it was not an attack on Stringer, merely a question as to his media qualifications (or lack thereof).

I think Stringers ok - I don't know what having a few qualifications would add to my listening experience? I don't find myself drawing on my degree very regularly.

I think Stringers ok - I don't know what having a few qualifications would add to my listening experience? I don't find myself drawing on my degree very regularly.

It's not the listening experience that is in question here.

I find him painful listening; therefore I dont listen.

The thing that annoys me about Stringer is his constant need to create a 'story' out of nothing.

He will be expected to maintain a certain output so maybe he doesn't have much choice.

He could do some real journalistic work, or simply sit and think of reporting something from a different angle

RL do a post match interview with Pear Son and a couple of the players after the game, and then use extracts from those in their sports bulletins for the remainder of the week in the pretence of 'news'

They may provide cvoverage of every match, but the effort they put in for the rest of the week is truly woeful

Ian Stringer could be worse. Be thankful we have not got Colin Gibson from Radio Derby with his rumours from unnamed players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THYB_fTQf70

Don't forget we did have a Colin Gibson of our very own...

Post retirement Colin Gibson was a commentator on BBC Radio Leicester for the live coverage of Leicester City matches. After news of the sacking of Craig Levein, he declared his interest in the manager's job live on air. Caretaker manager Rob Kelly was eventually given the job on a permanent basis.

Springer is a shit stirring wanker IMO.

The BBC Humberside commentator (who Stringer called a good friend live on the phone in on Monday) reported on his twitter that..."Been suggested to me that if Leicester lose to #hcafc today then Big Nige will be getting his cards and it ain't his birthday!". Does make me wonder where he got that little nugget from.

He could do some real journalistic work, or simply sit and think of reporting something from a different angle

RL do a post match interview with Pear Son and a couple of the players after the game, and then use extracts from those in their sports bulletins for the remainder of the week in the pretence of 'news'

They may provide cvoverage of every match, but the effort they put in for the rest of the week is truly woeful

True but there's not always the access. They'll get time with Pearson and/or players after a game and then on the media day beforehand. That isn't a great deal.

Working on local radio where one football club is the interest, has its problems. When Sir Alex fell out with the BBC, they could report 91 other football clubs. Should any Radio Leicester reporter rock the boat, it would be likely to lead to him/her being axed. I seem to remember a situation occurring during Nigel Pearson's last tenure - and I am sure that every manager, when faced with the awkward question, reminds the local reporter of their insecurity.

Working on local radio where one football club is the interest, has its problems. When Sir Alex fell out with the BBC, they could report 91 other football clubs. Should any Radio Leicester reporter rock the boat, it would be likely to lead to him/her being axed. I seem to remember a situation occurring during Nigel Pearson's last tenure - and I am sure that every manager, when faced with the awkward question, reminds the local reporter of their insecurity.

I think BBC Leicester miss a trick in having a sports reporter for all three main city sports to be honest. They would have to hire a commentatory team for each Tigers/City game but would be a cost-effective move which see the local reporter extend his 'talent' across the day.

If you look at Stringer's twitting, he just doesn't seem to associate himself with journalists. If you look at most reasonable journalists (even bloggers), they are in dialogue with each other passing stories etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566