Match Thread Derby v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ****ing hate the constant turmoil of being a city fan, and stability is something I really want, but this slide is beyond alarming.

This is beginning to rival the slump we had after going out of the FA Cup to Wycombe Wanderers

It all depends who they bring in, doesn't it? I think removing Pearson is justified but not for the likes of Roy Keane or Paolo Di Canio. I don't think this lot are that savvy when it comes to securing managers. There isn't a chance that Pearson was their first choice last time round. I've no doubt they wanted O'Neill.

An excellent point. Not sure who we could bring in. Mcdermott?

I like him as a person but the last time he was here I grew to hate his 45 minute sides who could only ever compete for half a match.

This post gives me hope that we'll compete in the second half.

It all depends who they bring in, doesn't it? I think removing Pearson is justified but not for the likes of Roy Keane or Paolo Di Canio.

I'd agree. Pearson is a dead man walking but there's no point giving the job to someone who's not going to take us forward. I think it's going to be incredibly hard to tempt any manager to leave their current club at this late stage of the season if we're not going to go with anyone who's currently unemployed.

Dyer wood and Nugebt have seen almost none of the ball - despite our possession. This formation needs to change to give us some kind of an attacking threat!

I like him as a person but the last time he was here I grew to hate his 45 minute sides who could only ever compete for half a match. I never wanted him back.

I wanted the manager appointed to be given a decent innings, I think he's had it. He knew his number would be up if he didn't achieve promotion.

I'll be as amazed at promotion as I will by him still being here next season.

This is why I'm torn. I think based on results for the resource he has been allowed he should be sacked. But I like him as a bloke and there's nothing I'd like more than for us to move up the leagues in a planned and sustainable way, like West Brom or Stoke. Or us in the late 1990s.

Now that seems contradictory. I'm either willing to be patient of I'm not. The problem being that I just don't see Pearson taking us up. Ever. I think he has hit his ceiling. On balance he has been good for the club but I think his time is up.

Pretty much the only fanciable candidate.

I agree with you Jeff about it being done now, but something tells me there may be a little get out clause in Nigel's contract making it easier and cheaper for the board to sack him if promotion isn't achieved.

I'd agree. Pearson is a dead man walking but there's no point giving the job to someone who's not going to take us forward. I think it's going to be incredibly hard to tempt any manager to leave their current club at this late stage of the season if we're not going to go with anyone who's currently unemployed.

Really? Let's not forget we're still top 6 and anyone who comes needs to win probably 4/5 games + playoffs to be managing in the premiership next season.

Really? Let's not forget we're still top 6 and anyone who comes needs to win probably 4/5 games + playoffs to be managing in the premiership next season.

I don't mean that we're in a bad position, I just think it's harder to bring in someone from another club at this point in the season, for most teams, not just us.

This is why I'm torn. I think based on results for the resource he has been allowed he should be sacked. But I like him as a bloke and there's nothing I'd like more than for us to move up the leagues in a planned and sustainable way, like West Brom or Stoke. Or us in the late 1990s.

Now that seems contradictory. I'm either willing to be patient of I'm not. The problem being that I just don't see Pearson taking us up. Ever. I think he has hit his ceiling. On balance he has been good for the club but I think his time is up.

I think, generally speaking you and I have the same approach to things football related...and this is exactly where I am.

Get with the times grandad we all hate Vardeh now.

I'm not sure anyone here has blamed everything upon Wellens.

Maybe you're listening to a different record.

I actually think Wellens has been one of our better players. Drinkwater and Morgan have been toss

Last edited:

Quite. I know we are on a terrible run, but we are still in contention. If we were adrift in mid-table, then getting rid now might make sense.

Ooh, Schlupp for Wellens.

McDermott would be fine if we are willing to be patient. He didn't have immediate success with Reading. I'd be going all out to sort out whatever Adkins' problems with Southampton are and getting him in before others can pounce in the summer. Beyond Adkins I'd have McCarthy, McDermott and Warnock on the shortlist.

I think we need to look at managers who can demonstrate experience of getting out of this league in the automatic places. Sooner or later our financial situation will bite us if we stay at this level. We shouldn't be in that position financially, but that's a whole different debate.

Nice to see NP isn't predictable. I said Wellens would come off after an hour for an attacker. I was 15 mins early with that one.

A good point. I'm hesitant to write Pearson off because we had a slump around this time when we won league one. I'm not saying we're about to storm the championship but that did turn around.

I also think with less than 10 games remaining a manager change could be very damaging indeed, but that might be optimistic in terms of the hope we have of going up this season.

That said, I can't think of many people who would say no to Mick McCarthy at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669