DJ off to Blackpool on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think they were calling him because they know what he could do for us and has actually shown it this season albeit in a league below.

I generally think theres 2 kinds of booing.

one where we can quite clearly see they are capable but not pulling their weight ie Howard last season.

and

one where we can plainly see that they are not good enough. ie campbell full stop.

Trevor Benjamin was the prime example of the last one and he eventually became a cult figure down there and it turned from boo's to laughter cus he was so bad.

A word of caution.....

I have known professional sportsmen who have looked as if they weren't trying, but a complete lack of confidence was the root cause of ot, not lack of desire or effort.

It is just possible Howard's confidence was shot to pieces after his stint in the Prem with the Sheep and then with Hooloway's management of the players subsequently.

With DJ I just think he has had the mardies since Allen was booted out and is not trying, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Trevor Benjamin was the prime example of the last one and he eventually became a cult figure down there and it turned from boo's to laughter cus he was so bad.

Not quite true for me. Trev was always a trier and did score some key goals for us in the promotion year. IMO he gave the team a lift when it was starting to falter at the end of the year. I think thats why he earned his cult status despite being a pretty crap player.

Not so sure about that last bit.

When we bought DJ two summers ago, Championship strikers were going for 5 million plus (Chopra, Kenwyn Jones). League 1 and 2 strikers were going for the same sort of money DJ cost, and largely failed in the Championship (Billy Shitpants, Eastwood, Varney).

Who could we have got for 1.6m that would have been so much better?

or worse?

Not quite true for me. Trev was always a trier and did score some key goals for us in the promotion year. IMO he gave the team a lift when it was starting to falter at the end of the year. I think thats why he earned his cult status despite being a pretty crap player.

I think he gave the crowd a lift which in turn gave the team a lift. i dont disagree with you on trev. I loved the bloke just cus he was crap. i'd quite happily have him on the team just for morale. not denying he scored a couple of goals towards the end of that season but one swallow doesn't make a summer. all in all he was crap but fans learnt to love him. never doubted his effort either. him and akinbiyi could never be accused of not trying. just plainly not good enough at the time

Anyone who saw him score the winner in the League Cup tie at Hillsboro and his goal celebration will remember him fondly, as well as him "trying" sometimes with comical effects

Scored more important goals that promotion season. :icon_bigg

.......akinbiyi .............. not good enough at the time

Do you not wonder why players like this and DJ were ok for other clubs before and after but not good enough here?

Not so sure about that last bit.

When we bought DJ two summers ago, Championship strikers were going for 5 million plus (Chopra, Kenwyn Jones). League 1 and 2 strikers were going for the same sort of money DJ cost, and largely failed in the Championship (Billy Shitpants, Eastwood, Varney).

Who could we have got for 1.6m that would have been so much better?

Shitpants just needs time to settle, he'll come good in time.

I reckon he will do well there, another decent enough player before he came to this club that was ruined by the fans after he didn’t score 20 goals in his first 15 appearances in our worst season in history. Good Luck DJ.
:038:

Lambast the regular starters (Fryatt, King, Howard) and give free passes to the players that can't get in the side?

Seems strange.

Lambast the regular starters (Fryatt, King, Howard) and give free passes to the players that can't get in the side?

Seems strange.
Not sure who that was aimed at, but I'll respond anyway.

I wasn't clapping Leroy for his point about DJ Campbell, but for for his point about the fans ruining players.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, but I'm only going on what I see and hear myself, but it seems to me that fans decide if they like or dislike a player before he has even kicked a ball for us.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what criteria is chosen for liking or disliking a player before they kick a ball, but some players certainly appear to have to try harder to gain popularity than some of the others do.

Can't disagree with you there Melts that many fans are quick to judgment on players before perhaps giving them sufficient time to bed in. I would also say that there is a lack of patience for younger players, which bothers me more.

It's long been the case that players have come in with something to overcome, Oakley and Howard, for example, had to shake off the shaggers smell. But they seem to have done so based on their performances.

I would say that it is possible for these players to get past that...play well. Something young Dudley has failed to do.

Last edited:
I would say that it is possible for these players to get past that...play well. Something young Dudley has failed to do.

In order to do that though, they need to get a good run in a team that's full of confidence and playing well. Something else that DJ has failed to do.

Not sure who that was aimed at, but I'll respond anyway.

I wasn't clapping Leroy for his point about DJ Campbell, but for for his point about the fans ruining players.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, but I'm only going on what I see and hear myself, but it seems to me that fans decide if they like or dislike a player before he has even kicked a ball for us.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what criteria is chosen for liking or disliking a player before they kick a ball, but some players certainly appear to have to try harder to gain popularity than some of the others do.

Simon Grayson springs to mind. I am sure there are many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669