EU referendum

• Remain

• Leave

• Undecided

• Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Fryatt you have posted a video showing that somebody who gets his money and his status from studying Britain and the EU wants us to stay in - well he would wouldn't he.

Professor Michael Doughan is an expert. I have noticed certain things about political experts
(1) They are just as prejudiced as anybody else but are good at using their knowledge to back up their prejudice
(2) They believe their subject is highly important which in Michael Doughan's case is true
(3) They are very good at explaining what happened but are no more accurate at saying what will happen than anybody else.

When the result comes in some people are going to be jubilant and some are going to be bitterly disappointed. In fact we will never know what would have happened if the other side had won. The leaders of both sides would be better mending fences with their opponents and feeling a sense of shame at the unsavoury campaigns they have run.

I see The Guardian regards David Beckham backing Remain as a big story; at least he has not threatened to leave the country since he seems to have already done so. In 1997 Andrew Lloyd Weber threatened to leave Britain if Labour won the election - Labour poll numbers the following week rose sharply.

Avoids up to £1million in taxes but now wants to think about the country's best interests. **** off, Beckham.

The thing that irks me most about this rubbish debate is rich tax dodgers telling the poor what's in their best interests. Screw you celebrity ****s - maybe if you'd paid your fair ****ing share local communities wouldn't be so upset about immigration because their hospitals, surgeries and schools would have been adequately funded. This goes for the ****s on both sides of the debate, disingenuous wankers the lot of them.

I see The Guardian regards David Beckham backing Remain as a big story; at least he has not threatened to leave the country since he seems to have already done so.
Man goes to country where his or his wife's job is shocker! That will be denied to many Brits if we vote to go out, as those jobs won't be open to us.

Man goes to country where his or his wife's job is shocker! That will be denied to many Brits if we vote to go out, as those jobs won't be open to us.
Me working in South America for six years had **** all to do with the UK being in the EU.

Right, that's it. I'm changing to Remain because someone said so . . .

CleemUdWMAEcV0U.jpg

How can anyone think of voting Brexit now? Neil Lennon says that it'll mean the end of sport!!!

"We need to continue to invest in talent at the grassroots and, for the thousands of young people starting out in their sport, every last penny is vital. At the moment, EU funding promotes UK sport at the local level and funding for school sport is essential too, and this is at risk if we decide to leave."

How can anyone think of voting Brexit now? Neil Lennon says that it'll mean the end of sport!!!

"We need to continue to invest in talent at the grassroots and, for the thousands of young people starting out in their sport, every last penny is vital. At the moment, EU funding promotes UK sport at the local level and funding for school sport is essential too, and this is at risk if we decide to leave."
You seem a bit worked up, BN.

Nobody can accurately predict the outcome of an out vote.

So just for the hell of it that's my vote sorted.

He's actually correct - it's one the many genuinely positive things that the EU fund directly

But don't let that get in the way of your point

He's actually correct - it's one the many genuinely positive things that the EU fund directly

As you well know, the EU don't fund anything directly. They give grants and loans to a whole host of projects from the money we give them in the first place. It's akin to you giving me £10 and I give you £5 back as long as you spend it on what I tell you to.

However, in a genuine attempt to see if you're right about their funding of UK sport, I've just spent the last half hour trying to find out what we get.

The only programme I can find is something called Erasmus+. This is a seven year programme of grants spread throughout the entire EU. If we assume an even split of this money, it's worth 1.35m euros per year to UK sporting projects.

Funding for UK sport comes from a combination of government spending and the national lottery. The national lottery alone paid out £350m to sport last year.

Sport appears to be a great example of how overblown the EU contribution to things actually is. What am I missing?

If this was a vote to decide whether to join the EU, would people vote the same way in the current climate?

Me working in South America for six years had **** all to do with the UK being in the EU.
I was more thinking of my nephew, who would have to try to be allowed to work in the Netherlands if we leave the EU, as his business based here will go down the pan, and three clients of mine who currently work in Geneva who feel sure they will have to leave ( Switzerland has free movement of labour with the EU ).

http://newsthump.com/2016/05/31/vot...te-pits-stephen-hawking-against-wetherspoons/

Voters torn as referendum debate pits Stephen Hawking against Wetherspoons
May 31, 2016
Written by Smithy
Voters in the EU referendum have been left torn this morning after weighing up the arguments of Professor Stephen Hawking against a chain of pubs that does a pie and a pint for a fiver.

As Wetherspoons announced it had printed 200,000 pro-Brexit beer mats just a day after Hawking said Brexit would be a ‘disaster’ for the country, many voters have said they just don’t know which of them to believe.

Political analyst Denise Matthews told us, “We’ve reached that point in the campaign where each side is rolling out their intellectual heavyweights – it’s getting serious.”

“We’re talking about trusting either; one of the greatest minds of the last hundred years, a man so intelligent he has been able to unravel many of the mysteries of the universe – or a guy who targets alcoholics in denial who ‘just happen to like a beer with their breakfast’.

With these two major new voices now joining the EU referendum debate, many voters have said they actually feel more confused than ever before.

Voter Simon Williams told us, “I just don’t know which of them is right?

“I get that Stephen Hawking is quite clever, but he does have American accent, so can we trust a foreigner on this?

“Whereas Wetherspoons do Happy Hour Jägerbombs, but they also tend to smell quite strongly of vomit.

“I think I’ll just wait and see what my horoscope says on the day.”

...Sport appears to be a great example of how overblown the EU contribution to things actually is. What am I missing?

Probably one place to start looking is Euro 2016, most of the stadium redevelopment there is financed either wholly publicly funded or public-private partnerships, EU funding being a large part of that, particularly in areas of industrial decline - Lens and Lille former coal mining and steelmaking areas most obviously are being supported by regeneration and redevelopment grants (Structural Funds) which come down from the EU to member states. This has been much the case for every Euro since 2000 (The grounds in England then benefiting most from sites regenerated with EU money, Riverside and Stadium of Light not being ready in time for Euro96), particularly Portugal 2004 and Poland co-hosting 2012.

It's more fuzzy in the UK, both because of the tradition of clubs owning their own grounds and the habit of successive UK Governments to shove all their EU funds into a single treasury pot and trying to spend them on other stuff which general taxation should cover. Most of the support has been in cleaning the derelict sites on which grounds are then built and the surrounding areas spruced up, (such as Bede Island in LCFC's case) - the big one at the moment being the many millions of EU funding going into the Anfield regeneration, admittedly an expensive way to soften the blow that their team is doomed to underperform in perpetuity, for which I expect someone, somewhere is blaming the EU as I speak.

I was more thinking of my nephew, who would have to try to be allowed to work in the Netherlands if we leave the EU, as his business based here will go down the pan, and three clients of mine who currently work in Geneva who feel sure they will have to leave ( Switzerland has free movement of labour with the EU ).

So you're saying that an organisation that threatens people's livings, including those in two non-EU countries, is a good thing?

People can and will be able to live and work wherever it makes economic sense for both parties as happens around almost the entire world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669