EU referendum

• Remain

• Leave

• Undecided

• Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of an exceptionally interesting post. In terms of Putin you may find Tsar Nicholas I who ruled from 1825 to 1855 is especially interesting.

Mr Wave suggests that the British are inferior to the continentals and he may be right. The answer to that is more integration - maybe be a campaign to get British men to breed with young Italian women. . .
I am not qualified to suggest which continentals English women should integrate with - perhaps we could get an answer from Cate or as Brown Nose would call her Catherine the Great

I think I had better return to the football.

I'm slightly concerned at what you are inferring there Mr G.

Haven't checked the credibility of this, but seems to be in line with what I've seen...View attachment 12964
The problem is, most of those are no more better informed than we are really. I'm in the remain camp but I've no idea if it's the right or wrong decision. We shouldn't be having a referendum, we elect leaders to make big decisions so he should do that; none of us are remotely qualified to make it.

The problem is, most of those are no more better informed than we are really. I'm in the remain camp but I've no idea if it's the right or wrong decision. We shouldn't be having a referendum, we elect leaders to make big decisions so he should do that; none of us are remotely qualified to make it.
Completely agree that we shouldn't be having a referendum. And there's a great article from 2010 about why here...
http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/12/13/why-referendums-should-be-banned/

However, we are having one. Therefore we should consult any senior figure from a variety of areas to ascertain their views on whether, in their experience, they think that it would be good or bad for their sector. They appear to be pretty unanimous.

I fear you're being slightly hypocritical when you say that all of these experts are no better informed, and yet want to rely on Cameron et al.

Completely agree that we shouldn't be having a referendum. And there's a great article from 2010 about why here...
http://sluggerotoole.com/2010/12/13/why-referendums-should-be-banned/

However, we are having one. Therefore we should consult any senior figure from a variety of areas to ascertain their views on whether, in their experience, they think that it would be good or bad for their sector. They appear to be pretty unanimous.

I fear you're being slightly hypocritical when you say that all of these experts are no better informed, and yet want to rely on Cameron et al.
I said most, not all. I would expect politicians to have an idea but David Attenborough? Really?

. . .
I am not qualified to suggest which continentals English women should integrate with - perhaps we could get an answer from Cate or as Brown Nose would call her Catherine the Great

I'm slightly concerned at what you are inferring there Mr G.

Cate I am not suggesting that you have personally "integrated" with men from all 28 EU countries. I have learned from long experience that all ladies are virtuous and beyond reproach..

However, all ladies of discernment will have spotted that the gentlemen of Aylestone Village are particularly sophisticated, elegant and virile. I thought you might have spotted "integrating material" almost as good among the continentals.

There is a precedent for Mr Wave's idea. New Zealand Prime Minister Robert Muldoon was questioned about people moving from New Zealand to Australia. He replied that it was a good thing as "it raises the intelligence levels in both countries."

I wouldn't take it seriously. Brown Nose is missing for one

I couldn't care less which politician/economist/celebrity supports either position. I hate the idea of people voting a certain way because somebody else has advised it. Furthermore, we should all be especially wary of people that are paid to have opinions.

A referendum is different to any other vote. We are not selecting a person or political party. We are being asked to answer a question about our countries future. So everyone should consider that question and then answer it for themselves. The future should include regular and routine referendums. Technology is sufficient that we really shouldn't need to only vote for someone or something as irregularly as we do.

British people to tend to like other people to do their bidding for them. It is a country built upon deference. Last week, I found it very sad to see images of people with brains of their own sitting in the rain to celebrate the birthday of some rich old woman they don't know. But it was typically British.

It may well be true to say that were Nigel Pearson to come out and declare for one side or the other, half the people on this site would follow him. But I'm proud to say that I'm not one of them.

Haven't checked the credibility of this, but seems to be in line with what I've seen...

Seems that the originator of that list has chosen to leave out two high profile 'leavers', namely Richard Branson and James Dyson.

Lists like that are meaningless as they are deliberately biased in favour of the originators own views.

I couldn't care less which politician/economist/celebrity supports either position. I hate the idea of people voting a certain way because somebody else has advised it. Furthermore, we should all be especially wary of people that are paid to have opinions.

A referendum is different to any other vote. We are not selecting a person or political party. We are being asked to answer a question about our countries future. So everyone should consider that question and then answer it for themselves. The future should include regular and routine referendums. Technology is sufficient that we really shouldn't need to only vote for someone or something as irregularly as we do.

British people to tend to like other people to do their bidding for them. It is a country built upon deference. Last week, I found it very sad to see images of people with brains of their own sitting in the rain to celebrate the birthday of some rich old woman they don't know. But it was typically British.

It may well be true to say that were Nigel Pearson to come out and declare for one side or the other, half the people on this site would follow him. But I'm proud to say that I'm not one of them.
That's a pretty arrogant way to finish a post :D

I couldn't care less which politician/economist/celebrity supports either position.

There is little evidence that celebrities help a cause; although popular politicians like Harold Wilson and Jim Callaghan may have influenced the vote in the Labour heartlands in 1975. Neither Cameron nor Corbyn have that kind of clout or deserve it.

You may be an independent thinker Brown Nose but these are rare.
Usually if you tell me which way your parents voted I will take a guess at which way you vote.
Tell me which way your friends and colleagues vote and my guess will be very good.

In 1972 Richard Nixon was re-elected with an overwhelming majority. Pauline Kael the liberal film critic of the trendy New Yorker magazine questioned the result on the grounds that she did not know anybody who had voted for Nixon.
She had ignored my favourite quote on politics which comes from Hannah More:
In men this blunder still you find
All think their little set mankind.

... In 1972 Richard Nixon was re-elected with an overwhelming majority. Pauline Kael the liberal film critic of the trendy New Yorker magazine questioned the result on the grounds that she did not know anybody who had voted for Nixon.

I'd hazard a guess that a year on from a Brexit win, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone admitting having voted for it. What's more certain is that everything will still be blamed on the EU.

In 1972 Richard Nixon was re-elected with an overwhelming majority. Pauline Kael the liberal film critic of the trendy New Yorker magazine questioned the result on the grounds that she did not know anybody who had voted for Nixon.

I'd hazard a guess that a year on from a Brexit win, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone admitting having voted for it. What's more certain is that everything will still be blamed on the EU.

Off topic Ike but I think I did not make my point clear enough. Paulene Kael questioned the result straight after the election; it was not because of the Watergate Scandal. She mixed with American liberals and did not realise how unrepresentative of the country they were. .

Just because our politicians are a bunch of worthless, self-serving dummies doesn't mean that we should be scared to hand them the responsibility to do what we've paid them to do.

A vote for Brexit doesn't change our government. It just gives them the ability to make more decisions and therefore be held more accountable for those decisions. Over time, that will change our political landscape for the better because we can affect that change.

I'm prepared to concede that a Brexit vote might create some economic uncertainty for a year or two. Nowhere near as much as is being peddled by the Remain idiots pontificating from one scripted interview to another, but some.

However, this is a vote for generations. For decades of economics and social policy. The personalities or policies or short term effects of a decision should have nothing to do with the way you vote.

A year on from a successful Remain vote is the status quo. Just a slightly more diluted, dreary and distant status quo. And so on until some other countries in Europe have the balls to do what we could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669