Euros 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's pathetic to say this but we should definitely have had a penalty when Sterling's foot was trodden on. VAR didn't even check it.

Did they not check it? I assumed it wasn't given as sterling seemed to go down due to clipping his own heel more than their player's touch. He previously kicked his own foot or the floor and won pens before for some reason....maybe helps make the dive more convincing?

Did they not check it? I assumed it wasn't given as sterling seemed to go down due to clipping his own heel more than their player's touch. He previously kicked his own foot or the floor and won pens before for some reason....maybe helps make the dive more convincing?

ITV said it wasn't even checked.

Which is mind blowing really. The VAR use in the tournament has been better than the PL use of it, but surely any penalty appeal should be checked?

Definitely looked a penalty to me. There was definite contact. Maybe a bit of a Vardy special, but imo Sterling had no where else for his leg to go, he hit the Scottish defenders foot because it was directly where his foot was going.

Which is mind blowing really. The VAR use in the tournament has been better than the PL use of it, but surely any penalty appeal should be checked?

Definitely looked a penalty to me. There was definite contact. Maybe a bit of a Vardy special, but imo Sterling had no where else for his leg to go, he hit the Scottish defenders foot because it was directly where his foot was going.

I've only seen it last night but at the time it looked like sterling's foot clipping his own heel is what sent him. Surprised by VAR not checking unless there's a boy who cried wolf rule. Fairly sure he's gone for pens by kicking the floor or his own foot previously. Against Chelsea (no pen) and i think Bournemouth (got the pen with no defender near him). It can't be an easy skill to master so fair ****s to the lad.

It was exactly the sort of bollocks challenge that gets penalties in the PL and it drives me mad.

I was very pleased to see the officials not even consider it. Because nobody should ever get a penalty for such minimal contact.

It was exactly the sort of bollocks challenge that gets penalties in the PL and it drives me mad.

I was very pleased to see the officials not even consider it. Because nobody should ever get a penalty for such minimal contact.
His foot was trodden on and there was no attempt to play the ball. How is that not a penalty?

His foot was trodden on and there was no attempt to play the ball. How is that not a penalty?

Football is still a contact sport. That contact shouldn't be a foul for me. Throughout the bits of this tournament that I've seen, refs have been sensible about this. In the PL, refs are fecking idiotic about it.

Hence you have that attitude about a minimal accidental contact in what was a deliberate attempt to prevent a cross/shot. Our final goal of the season was a perfect example. Vardy went down under minimal contact and got a very soft penalty. I think that's no good for the game.

So, I agree that it would have been a penalty in the PL. It isn't a penalty in the Euros though and I think that's a good thing. There are different ways to apply the rules than we do in England. And some of them are a lot better.

As I understand it all decisions are checked. The ones that look contentious are flagged as being checked, the rest are looked at quickly and discounted.

Not sure why anyone isn't surprised how shit England are it's not like they haven't got a track record of bizarre starting 11's that always fail, the press hype England up at every tournament and at every tournament England play negative poor football and lose, England haven't beaten a decent team in a competitive fixture of meaning in over 50 years.
I'm watching Belgium as 1) they stand a good chance of winning it and 2) because of the Leicester players.

France's display in that match perhaps puts things in perspective a bit. Of course there's no reason to expect england to win the thing but tournament football is unpredictable and there's always a few turgid results.

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone isn't surprised how shit England are it's not like they haven't got a track record of bizarre starting 11's that always fail, the press hype England up at every tournament and at every tournament England play negative poor football and lose, England haven't beaten a decent team in a competitive fixture of meaning in over 50 years.
I'm watching Belgium as 1) they stand a good chance of winning it and 2) because of the Leicester players.
Leicester didn't win the premier league this year and there's some unlikeable people in the squad, so instead of supporting my hometown club, next season I've decided to support Chelsea. They have a good chance of winning trophies and they have former Leicester players in their squad.

How might that statement go down in here I wonder?

Leicester didn't win the premier league this year and there's some unlikeable people in the squad, so instead of supporting my hometown club, next season I've decided to support Chelsea. They have a good chance of winning trophies and they have former Leicester players in their squad.

Not everyone supports their home town club, and choose who to support. It seems bizarre that you feel somebody should be beholden to a national team due to an unfortunate accident of geography.

Not everyone supports their home town club, and choose who to support. It seems bizarre that you feel somebody should be beholden to a national team due to an unfortunate accident of geography.
Shut up and put your crusader fancy dress outfit on.

Completely missed my point which was England have failed in every single competition since 1966 so why all of a sudden are they going to win anything or at least play good football. Its like the press are stuck in groundhog day.
I can't get any enthusiasm for watching the Euros due to the amount of football that has been shown on t.v the last year and the predictable that England will be knocked out by the 1st decent side they play, rinse and repeat for Qatar 2022.
The only interest I have is watching Leicester players and arguably Belgium will play better football and play more games than any other team that involves a Leicester player.

That's the point of football, it's about community. You're free to support Real Madrid and France but in my opinion you won't experience football as it should be experienced. I've supported Leicester through some awful times and I would keep supporting them if we got relegated to league two. I'll do the same with England as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566