Favourite City Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than repeat good suggestions that other people have made I will add something different. I really enjoyed the last few minutes of the game against Brighton in 2003. It was clear that we were going to be promoted and the crowd were singing "Ten more minutes to the Premier League".

There was another enjoyable moment - and absurdly I cannot even remember who we were playing against. We had let in six goals to Portsmouth shortly before and Sousa had just been sacked. Chris Powell and Mike Stowell were in charge. Martyn Waghorn scored and someone near me shouted at Chris Powell "Hey Powelly thats what happens when you play Waghorn in his proper position." Powell looked at us with a great grin and gave a thumbs up. I knew then that we would soon be out of the relegation zone.

Rather than repeat good suggestions that other people have made I will add something different. I really enjoyed the last few minutes of the game against Brighton in 2003. It was clear that we were going to be promoted and the crowd were singing "Ten more minutes to the Premier League".

There was another enjoyable moment - and absurdly I cannot even remember who we were playing against. We had let in six goals to Portsmouth shortly before and Sousa had just been sacked. Chris Powell and Mike Stowell were in charge. Martyn Waghorn scored and someone near me shouted at Chris Powell "Hey Powelly thats what happens when you play Waghorn in his proper position." Powell looked at us with a great grin and gave a thumbs up. I knew then that we would soon be out of the relegation zone.

In relation to the last part, I believe it was Scunthorpe at home. We won 3-1 and Franck Moussa was another of the scorers that day.

I was at all of the playoff finals - Walsh, Claridge, etc. - but my very, very favourite moment as a City fan was not a goal, but the final whistle at Hillsborough. We've WON A ****ING CUP!!! Pure, unadulterated joy. One of the best moments of my life.

Closely followed by the two Matt Elliot goals at Wembley against Tranmere. My brother was recovering from a severe stroke (aged 24) in the London Spine Clinic and we phoned his room so he could hear the atmosphere after each goal. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...

Leatherhead in the cup. Big Steves last minute clincher against dirty leeds . Mattys two goals at wembley are treasured memories but all time it has be Silence of the Rams doubt it will ever be surpassed.

1. In the 1990 season, Tony James scoring the winner against Oxford to guarantee survival.

2. Matt Elliott's headed winner versus Villa in the semi-final of the league cup. Great atmosphere at Filbo that night.

3. Not games that I attended but listening to the 5-0 play-off win versus Cambridge and the 3-3 draw with Arsenal.

Also...

beating Leeds 4-3 at Filbo in the 1989 season. I think they won division 2 that season with the likes of Strachan, Sterland, Dorigo et al. We managed to scrape survival.

Liverpool 1 Leicester 2 1980-81 season.

Liverpool hadn't lost at home for three years (85 games or something) and Leicester were to be relegated. I did everything possible to avoid hearing news about the game as I expected Liverpool to win by at least five goals. When my dad, against my wishes, burst into my room and told me the score I couldn't believe what was going on. Totally wierd and wonderful.

And we did the double over them that season. And got relegated.

5-2 v Shrewsbury, 1982 FA Cup
2-2 v Leeds Utd, 1973/74. Leeds had gone something like 20 games unbeaten at the start of the season and we were 2-0 up in the first half an hour or so (Worthington and Birchenall's cracker for 30 yards out0
1-0 Fulham, 1983. An important away victory at our promotion rivals with 10,000 City fans at Craven Cottage
2-0 v QPR, 1974 FA Cup. Two goals from Jo Waters and classic commentary from Barry Davies -' I don't think he can possibly believe it.'
3-1 v Everton, 1985. Lineker's first game for Everton. Two cracking goals from Mark Bright

Standing at the back of the main stand at Filbert Street right in front of the Press Box as the players did a lap of honour following the 5-0 victory over Cambridge in the 1992 playoff semifinal second leg.

Seeing it again brings back some fantastic memories of the night we secured out place at Wembley for the first time since 1969.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ormandroyd, Ormandroyd flying down the wing,
Ormandroyd, Ormandroyd strange looking thing
Pass him the ball, gosh he is tall,
Ormondroyd, Ormondroyd, Ormondroyd.

Great to relive a few memories.

All the great Prem and Cup games of the late 90s might not have happened if not for Claridge at Wembley. I couldn't speak for days after that, and the drive back up to Leicester was great, exhausted though from celebrating hard.

No specific matches (maybe Leeds?!) but those cup games at Filbert St where they all seemed to go to penalties and we won quite a few in a row. I remember Pegguy in particular being a bit of a hero in the shoot-outs.

I also have a soft spot for the equaliser Taggart scored against Atheltico.

I remember the otherwise reticient woman behind us grabbing me and giving me a kiss. Filbo was as loud as I'd ever heard when the ball hit the back of the net.

In the memorial programme for Filbo I have it down as my favorite game, I am fan number 991.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669