Favourite City Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a soft spot for the equaliser Taggart scored against Atheltico.

I remember the otherwise reticient woman behind us grabbing me and giving me a kiss. Filbo was as loud as I'd ever heard when the ball hit the back of the net.

In the memorial programme for Filbo I have it down as my favorite game, I am fan number 991.

Taggart scored against Red Star Belgrade. We lost 0-2 at home to Athletico Madrid.

I also have a soft spot for the equaliser Taggart scored against Atheltico.

I remember the otherwise reticient woman behind us grabbing me and giving me a kiss. Filbo was as loud as I'd ever heard when the ball hit the back of the net.

In the memorial programme for Filbo I have it down as my favorite game, I am fan number 991.
When was that???

Taggart scored against Red Star Belgrade. We lost 0-2 at home to Athletico Madrid.

That's the kiddie. Excuse my faux pas. Couple of beers down me.

In my defence they both play in red and white and are dirty, dirty foreigners.

One things is for sure, this thread has made me realise why the atmosphere is so shite at the KP, we have had nothing like any of this to enjoy for many many years, all those cup semi games and european nights at Filbo were different class.

This thread has made me realise how much we need something to really celebrate at Leicester, although I am not so sure it would be the same as these past occasions?

For the first time i genuinely felt like Leicester had a great team, in my mind we were going to challenge for the title, i thought we would be unbeatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
One things is for sure, this thread has made me realise why the atmosphere is so shite at the KP, we have had nothing like any of this to enjoy for many many years, all those cup semi games and european nights at Filbo were different class.

This thread has made me realise how much we need something to really celebrate at Leicester, although I am not so sure it would be the same as these past occasions?

As a general comment, I agree about the atmosphere at the KP, but there have been times when it has been very noisy and exciting there. Super Steve scoring against Leeds has been mentioned, and I also remember it going mental when we opened the scoring against Southampton (was it Sir Les?) in our first match back in the Premier. Both times when the stadium literally bounced (a little strange, but welcome nonetheless). All I mean to say is that the KP can produce an atmosphere, and it will again when we're back in the Prem.

The day Homeywomeypants and I sit together and watch a game on warm and comforting seats.

Whilst I preferred FS, I think you'll always struggle to have any sort of great atmosphere at the KP without it being 90%+ full. It's just not the same.

That's the kiddie. Excuse my faux pas. Couple of beers down me.

In my defence they both play in red and white and are dirty, dirty foreigners.

At 8.40 in the morning? Are you in a different time zone or just getting started early c-f?

Last edited:
...All I mean to say is that the KP can produce an atmosphere, and it will again when we're back in the Prem.

But isn't it true that many of the occasions that people have mentioned above are not Premier League events? Why do you now say that the Premier League can bring back the atmosphere? And what makes you certain it will?

Really good thread that hasn't been sidetracked into in jokes and pedantry...
So many great memories of the game mentioned - for years my favourite game was the 5-2 against Shrewsbury but I think it has to be the Palace playoff for me.
I was really disappointed when McGhee left - thought Walker was better than O'Neill...thought Corica was a big loss and was totally unsure about signing Izzet and Lennon!
But that day was the start of a fantastic period of football for me - seeing City win at Old Trafford, Anfield several times, 3League Cup Finals, European nights - all seemed to start that day...

But isn't it true that many of the occasions that people have mentioned above are not Premier League events? Why do you now say that the Premier League can bring back the atmosphere? And what makes you certain it will?

For the simple reason that I think it's likely to be full in the Prem and it has been shown that it won't be full if we're not in the Prem. As someone has already stated in this thread, it's tough to create a very good atmosphere in a non-full ground.

Additionally, really good atmospheres occur for many reasons, one of which is over-achievement. If a club is doing better than they are expected to do, or has the potential to do so (e.g. cup ties against higher opposition, most matches in the Prem etc), then that creates more excitement if and when things go well, manifested in a good atmosphere at the ground. Expectations at our club are currently so high that essentially no Championship game has this ingredient, which is one of many reasons why I think the atmosphere has not been good recently.

When you combine a somewhat empty ground with a slight apathy borne from the expectation that we should win, it's never going to be a raucous / intimidating / noisy / whatever-adjective-you-want ground.

For the simple reason that I think it's likely to be full in the Prem and it has been shown that it won't be full if we're not in the Prem. As someone has already stated in this thread, it's tough to create a very good atmosphere in a non-full ground.

Additionally, really good atmospheres occur for many reasons, one of which is over-achievement. If a club is doing better than they are expected to do, or has the potential to do so (e.g. cup ties against higher opposition, most matches in the Prem etc), then that creates more excitement if and when things go well, manifested in a good atmosphere at the ground. Expectations at our club are currently so high that essentially no Championship game has this ingredient, which is one of many reasons why I think the atmosphere has not been good recently.

When you combine a somewhat empty ground with a slight apathy borne from the expectation that we should win, it's never going to be a raucous / intimidating / noisy / whatever-adjective-you-want ground.

Thanks for your reply, though I have to say it doesn't give me much hope. I understand what you are saying about a full ground - but there have, in the past, been plenty of full grounds when not in the Prem - and plenty of atmosphere too. It seems that to fulfil your hopes, it will be necessary not only for us to be in the Prem but also to be doing well in the Prem - a very tall order.

I think you correctly identify the real problem as being over-expectation. How ever did that happen? Why have people been so easily fooled?

I think that's a pretty good post.

The argument that a full ground equates to a good atmosphere is certainly not true.

I have been to the KP so many times where various promotions have been ran and bumped the attendance up to 26/27000 and the atmosphere has been so much worse than when the hardcore 18000 are there.

It is certainly not the case that numbers will equal atmosphere and I dare say that after 10 games in the top flight the fans will not see winning at home as over achievement and will infact come to expect it, such is the nature of the support.

One thing I remember as a young lad on the way to Wembley was the hundreds of people and banners draping the M1 all through Leicestershire and beyond, as strange as it seems, it is this imgage that reminds me how much football has changed, I certainly don't think this would happen today.

I think there is an intangible element that has been lost amongst supporters these days, making it hard to understand or nail down exactly what it is.

The world is getting smaller, most of the games are televised and so people have more choices as to who to support.

Plenty of youngsters in my family have grown up to be Chelsea, Arsenal, or Man U fans. I don't approve, but I see how it happens.

The argument that a full ground equates to a good atmosphere is certainly not true.

I have been to the KP so many times where various promotions have been ran and bumped the attendance up to 26/27000 and the atmosphere has been so much worse than when the hardcore 18000 are there.

It is certainly not the case that numbers will equal atmosphere and I dare say that after 10 games in the top flight the fans will not see winning at home as over achievement and will infact come to expect it, such is the nature of the support.

One thing I remember as a young lad on the way to Wembley was the hundreds of people and banners draping the M1 all through Leicestershire and beyond, as strange as it seems, it is this imgage that reminds me how much football has changed, I certainly don't think this would happen today.

I think there is an intangible element that has been lost amongst supporters these days, making it hard to understand or nail down exactly what it is.

I think that's a pretty good post. And I mean that sincerely.

I think you correctly identify the real problem as being over-expectation. How ever did that happen? Why have people been so easily fooled?

On my neutral travels, you see this at every level. Even the likes of Yeovil who are far beyond their historical tier of playing football. The best atmosphere have often be situations where a club is unexpectedly playing well (Dagenham & Accrington).

I can think three recent-ish situations where our support has been excellent; at Norwich in the cup, where the away support adopted a siege mentality given the ticket farce and revelled in the underdog role. The evening Birmingham game where at 1-0 down, the crowd got behind a set of dreadful players in a bid to get a result and a few weeks later we went to Barnsley, won 1-0 in a do or die game. Those two games it was if the support realised we were in deep shit and needed to give some support.

You find at the KP these days it takes a red card or a rash tackle from the opposition to get some noise going. Newcastle for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570