FFS, what next

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I can cope with the story of the 3 little pigs not being given an award, it really won't affect me in my day to day life. :icon_conf

Can we have some perspective here please...

All that's happened is that a CD rom has been excluded from winning an award. The CD is still available, kids will still be able to see it, it will still be available to schools.

Thats all very well for people like you, but for the majority of the Brittish public who put time and effort into voting in this very important award, it is merely a kick in the teeth, and comparable to removing Manchester Utd from the title race.

I for one am offended at the removal and shall revoke my interest in the awards in future years.

if they wanna bring their life over here, they have to accept thing, its like me going to the middle east, building a christian church, and telling allah to go **** himself

if they wanna bring their life over here, they have to accept thing, its like me going to the middle east, building a christian church, and telling allah to go **** himself

'They' who?
Islam isn't a nationality, there are many muslims that have lived in the UK for generations and are as British as Bill Oddie's boxer shorts.

Why is everyone bothered about a shite story, dont see what all the fuss is about? 3 little pigs and a wolf that does a lot of puffs, ahhh right, its starting to make sense......

Last edited:
'They' who?
Islam isn't a nationality, there are many muslims that have lived in the UK for generations and are as British as Bill Oddie's boxer shorts.

Is there still a British hosiery industry left to supply these?

The only comments I've seen from muslims regarding this are they think it's ridiculous, muslims aren't the problem.

Exactly. Most of the time it is white, anglo saxon, christian (ha!) bleeding heart liberals who are the cause of much of the idiocy that causes ill feeling.

I find it remarkable that no-one has thought about the pigs or the wolf in all of this? These poor souls are being marginalised and I think they should be allowed to build and knock down poor quality housing should that be their requirement.

I find it remarkable that no-one has thought about the pigs or the wolf in all of this? These poor souls are being marginalised and I think they should be allowed to build and knock down poor quality housing should that be their requirement.

......but it would mean bringing the bloody builders in, and they are feeling equally as marginalised at the moment.

'They' who?

I'm going to take a slight digression from the main issues of this thread and pick up on the above quote, it's a potentially interesting area I hope...

I've gotta disagree with you here Macky. Let's move away from ethnic minorities (not just muslims, all of them - including me) who have been here for 'generations' and deal with the much more prevalent 2nd and 3rd generations (that's where I am placed for a start). These, plus of course 1st generation immigrants, are the ones impacting on British society now and are the topic of discussion over the matters raised by this thread and will be the people we are talking about for a good many years to come over similarly contentious issues. Because of my ethnic background I have mixed intimately with not only my own 2nd generation ethnic minority people (for want of a better term) but with very many asians from school onwards who I felt a special kinship with. Not one, I repeat not one including myself, would say they are as British as anyone else (or Bill Oddies and his boxer shorts). We all feel slightly ambivilent and slightly we are 'outsiders' in some way. Having said that, in my case all of my cousins and siblings of my age, I have found that we do most certainly owe our loyalties to this country, suport its institutions and way of life (and when the world cup comes around, support England to boot). When I say we support its insitutions and way of life, I have to say that it has predominantly been asians whose religion was hindu and Seikh (sp). In my own personal experience from a long way back, and before the current troubles, I always found Muslims more exclusive and harder to get to know. The few that I did, I often found more hostile and contemptuous of the host community. A small sample perhaps but given recent events perhaps an indicative sample. But my main point is not to sidetrack onto 'muslims' but to say, we are not as British as TBers born and raised here for generations. We are different.
The wider point is though to mix with all and sundry regardless of background, to be tolerant, not to beome 'haters' at the easiest so-called provocation and to respect the values of the host society.

Last edited:
The wider point is though to mix with all and sundry regardless of background, to be tolerant, not to beome 'haters' at the easiest so-called provocation and to respect the values of the host society.

Agree. Integration not multi-culturalism IMO.

Agree. Integration not multi-culturalism IMO.

Hence the first generation IMO has been reasonably successful integrated in British society, the Curry is now a national dish, on Middle-class white families from Berkshire dinner plates on a Wednesday night. A Chinatown in a city is common and every weekend is packed with people eating at a restaurant.

However, the Muslim community has always been recultant to integrate, this born on the nature of religion in terms no alcohol, no gambling etc. Both of these activities are part and parcel of Britain. With the latest rage, it's just opened up the exisiting tensions. How do we deal with it? Hard to say. We must accomdate (sp?) but not compensate.

I've gotta disagree with you here Macky. Let's move away from ethnic minorities (not just muslims, all of them - including me) who have been here for 'generations' and deal with the much more prevalent 2nd and 3rd generations (that's where I am placed for a start). These, plus of course 1st generation immigrants, are the ones impacting on British society now and are the topic of discussion over the matters raised by this thread and will be the people we are talking about for a good many years to come over similarly contentious issues. Because of my ethnic background I have mixed intimately with not only my own 2nd generation ethnic minority people (for want of a better term) but with very many asians from school onwards who I felt a special kinship with. Not one, I repeat not one including myself, would say they are as British as anyone else (or Bill Oddies and his boxer shorts). We all feel slightly ambivilent and slightly we are 'outsiders' in some way. Having said that, in my case all of my cousins and siblings of my age, I have found that we do most certainly owe our loyalties to this country, suport its institutions and way of life (and when the world cup comes around, support England to boot). When I say we support its insitutions and way of life, I have to say that it has predominantly been asians whose religion was hindu and Seikh (sp). In my own personal experience from a long way back, and before the current troubles, I always found Muslims more exclusive and harder to get to know. The few that I did, I often found more hostile and contemptuous of the host community. A small sample perhaps but given recent events perhaps an indicative sample. But my main point is not to sidetrack onto 'muslims' but to say, we are not as British as TBers born and raised here for generations. We are different.

In fairness consty, you've disagreed with me by using some sweeping generalisations, based upon your own experience, I'm sure, but generalisations non the less.
This thread hasn't focused on any specific 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations of any community and my point still stands.

Sausage sandwich anyone?

Only if it's vegetarian

Or badger

Either is acceptable to all Brits/semi Brits/pretend Brits/Brits who don't want to be Brits/ and Brits who should just feck off to where they came from Brits

Only if they are made with pork from alcoholic pigs

In the case you want Adnam's pigs, which are fed on the waste from the brewery. As it says on the back of their delivery lorries " Adnams pigs are happy pigs ".:icon_wink

In fairness consty, you've disagreed with me by using some sweeping generalisations, based upon your own experience, I'm sure, but generalisations non the less.
This thread hasn't focused on any specific 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations of any community and my point still stands.

I see what you're saying Macky... Many arguments like mine, in the end, have to be vunerable to the 'generatlisation' critique if one is talking about society-wide issues. Sure, I used my own experience but if I just referred to society at large the same critique would probably have been levelled. However I'm saying current events, general knowledge, the work of some academics & sociologists and respected newspapers (leaving out the immigrant-hating Daily Mail etc) I think have pointed to ethnic minorities certainly feeling that they are 'outsiders' to an extent. This does not ofcourse mean (we have no argument on this I'm sure) that any of them needs necessarily be utterly alienated or hostile to British society. However I think where I did disagree with you was where you say that ethnic minorities are as British as anyone/Bill Oddie etc... I believe they do not feel they are as British as anyone - and that applies to all from 1st generation to 3rd generation...

Last edited:
...I think where I did disagree with you was where you say that ethnic minorities are as British as anyone/Bill Oddie etc... I believe they do not feel they are as British as anyone - and that applies to all from 1st generation to 3rd generation...

But that isn't what I said.
I said that there are many Muslims that are, and consider themselves to be, British and that point was being made to demonstrate that ethnicity isn't at issue in response to another poster who seemed to be a member of the 'ship-'em-all-home' brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Chelsea510
3Arsenal410
4Newcastle410
5Liverpool49
6Aston Villa49
7Brighton48
8Nottm F48
9Brentford46