Football Manager 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try the Swedish lower leagues - there's very little difference in quality between the second and fourth tiers, and if you get a reasonable squad together from the regional divisions it's relatively easy to bag successive (or at least fairly quick) promotions. Just hope you don't go up to the top flight too quickly because you'll doubtless get murdered on a weekly basis.

What team are you managing?

Finished 12th and lost to a last-minute goal versus Villa in the Cup Quarters.

Got a decent side developing for next season. Surman, Begovic, Spurr, Porter all signed up. Beat Hinckley 13-0 in a friendly.

Piteå. Almost impossible to pick up wins at the start - took over at the tail end of the 2008 season. Two consecutive promotions in 2009 and 2010 though, plus a couple of decent cup runs.

Piteå?:icon_bigg Nice, it's 50 miles from my town so I've seen them loads of times. Drop some names, players you haven't got rid of?

Piteå?:icon_bigg Nice, it's 50 miles from my town so I've seen them loads of times. Drop some names, players you haven't got rid of?

Did a bit of an overhaul at the end of 2008 because most of the squad were pretty awful. Survivors into the third season were limited to Nils Rautio, Alexander Lindahl and Joel Öhman, but they weren't getting much playing time in the end so they left at the end of their contracts in 2011. All my original squad gone now, which is a little sad but entirely necessary.

Did a bit of an overhaul at the end of 2008 because most of the squad were pretty awful. Survivors into the third season were limited to Nils Rautio, Alexander Lindahl and Joel Öhman, but they weren't getting much playing time in the end so they left at the end of their contracts in 2011. All my original squad gone now, which is a little sad but entirely necessary.

Ah, good choice. I'd say Alexander Lindahl is the best of the three in real life, his brother Andreas played for my local club Skellefteå FF last season so I know him a bit.

Here's a tiny picture of Kvarnvallen:

http://www.pitea.se/Sidmappar/31946/KF_sport&sim_sport.jpg

Ah, good choice. I'd say Alexander Lindahl is the best of the three in real life, his brother Andreas played for my local club Skellefteå FF last season so I know him a bit.

Here's a tiny picture of Kvarnvallen:

http://www.pitea.se/Sidmappar/31946/KF_sport&sim_sport.jpg

In addition to my ongoing project (see link) I'm planning to do a bit of a Euro tour. The challenge is to hit every league on a set list in a certain amount of time (given the size of the list, I think five years is a fair time frame). Of course, the top four tiers of Swedish football are on there, which means I'll have to do several visits. That looks a decent place to include on the list :icon_bigg

Finished the season in League One in really good form - only lost two after christmas i think. Almost made it into 2nd place but a draw on the last day of the season ended hopes of automatic promotion.

Won the play-offs on Penalties against Scunny.

When i next get on my home compluter i will list my signings..........

These were the summer signings for my assault on the championship:
Paul Rachubka, GK, Blackpool, Free
Ben Foster, GK, Man Utd, Free

Sandor Varga (Hungarian, 18), DC, Debrecen, £16k
Andy Dawson, DL, Hull, £85k
Stephen Kelly, DR, B'ham, Free
Eric Marester (guadaloupian, 25), DR, ESTAC, £70k

Keith Southern, DM, Blackpool, Free
Damjan Trifkovic (Slovenian, 22), AM LC, Maribor, £160k

Denis Alibec (romanian, 19), ST, Farul, £45K
Leroy Lita, ST, Reading, Free

Sold: A King (£750k to B'ham) L Dyer (£325k to Bristol City) Wesolowski (palace, £100k)

Didn't start the season very well in the end, went down to 17th place after 9 games. Struggled to score goals (I was hoping that Leroy Lita would solve that problem but he's far too inconsistent).

Tried to solve the goalscoring issues in January. Bought Daryl Murphy from Sunderland for £675k and loaned Marlon Harewood. Sold Stephen Kelly to Wigan for £1.1mil despite getting him for free in the summer, and Eric Marester has turned out to be a brilliant purchase.

We hovered around 9th and 11th for the middle part of the season (up to 30 games in). We'd win a few then lose a few - inconsistency again! Neither of the new strikers have really made an impact yet.

A 5-game winning streak has seen us rise to 6th Place with 35 games played. Back-to-back promotions on the cards?

The team looks like this at the moment:

Foster
Marester, Kisnorbo, Tunchev (c), Dawson
Gradel, Matabuena, Southern/Romao, Mattock
Murphy, Lita

Matabuena and Mattock have been brilliant, both into double figures on the scoring charts. None of the strikers are! Marester is easily the best signing this season. I'm surprised that Tunchev has stayed focused despite constant interest from top division clubs.

Last edited:
Last game of the season, league table as follows:

6th Leicester 74 +28
7th Leeds 74 +6
8th Ipswich 72 +19
9th Nottm Forest 72 +4

All i have to do is beat Watford at home to get into the play-offs. Lots of injuries though so i'm not confident.

QPR have won the league and the other play-off teams will be between Reading, Southampton, Fulham & Bristol City.

Back-to-back promotions would be a first for me (i've jinxed it now!).

And...

a 2-0 win has done it!
Up against Fulham in the semis, though...

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can get a database update to nowish?I have patch 9.3.0 but that still has us in league 1

The only problem with that update is that you still start in July 2008, so it is effectivley a year out of date

I managed to grab a player called Salva on a free, he's 33 but is tearing the division up next to Fryatt. He's got 11 goals in 14 games so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566