Gandhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghandi

I wouldn't blame you, I'd blame the nationals and tv news which uses the term 'city centre' very loosely.

If it was to be bang in the middle, it'd be a bit shit really.

Lech Walesa would be more appropriate in this day and age. :icon_wink

I doubt if there'd be much Solidarity for that idea

Lee Ingram, a Leicester resident who set up the first petition, said he felt there were more deserving local figures of note. "Gandhi is a historical figure connected to India. He has no connection to English culture or the English, therefore a statue of him would be more suitably erected in India. This would be yet another symbol of segregation in Leicester and it would be something else for the Asian community. We have local heroes here, Lineker or the writer, Joe Orton. In the local paper, I read letters which say Gandhi was a more controversial figure than some believe."

But Samanwaya Parivar, the charity behind the plan for the 12ft bronze structure, is confident its planning application will be accepted by Leicester City Council, the Eastern Eye newspaper reported. Jitendra Acharya, the charity's general secretary, said it would fund the project at a cost of up to £20,000, and that they had overwhelming support from the community.

"It is good the issue is being debated," he said. "We have never said that there should not be any other statues in Leicester. This particular statue of Gandhi will be entirely funded by our charity as a gift to the city."

Campaigners want the statue to be located in the corner of Doncaster Road and Belgrave Road, the epicentre of Asian cultural and business life in Leicester.

The campaign is led by Jitendra Acharya, a functionary of charity organisation Samanvaya Parivar. "It would become a permanent reminder of his life and what he stood for. We felt Belgrave would be a better home for the statue than London because of the close links the city has with Gujarat, where he was born," he said.

Last edited:

Maybe they should split the difference and have a statue of Richard Attenborough (sp?) in a pose of him directing the Ghandi movie.
Everybody happy.

Or why not a statue of Ghandi as planned but put him in a City shirt instead of the traditional dhoti? sort of hands across the divide approach.:023:

"Campaigners want the statue to be located in the corner of Doncaster Road and Belgrave Road, the epicentre of Asian cultural and business life in Leicester."

I'm going to donate a bronze pile on shit to celebrate Leicester City FC. I hope the council grant me some land for it.

Agree with both

Because they are all misinformed cnuts who think it's going to be alongside the Clock Tower.

Wouldn't personally mind if it was city centre, it would be much better than the shitty bronze thing celebrating our sporting "heroes", not that IS embarrasing!

Small minded bigots are great aren't they?
Especially when they start misconceived campaigns, just brilliant.

Anyone know if the council are planning another statue. I'm still sure I read something about one being added to Gallowtree Gate when the regeneration is finished.

They were asking for ideas from people and Gandhi was one mentioned along with others, the article I read certainly never said anything about it being donated or it being in Belgrave.... maybe that has caused the confusion.

Or maybe I'm an idiot and haven't been paying attention.

Anyone know if the council are planning another statue. I'm still sure I read something about one being added to Gallowtree Gate when the regeneration is finished.

Rustie Lee's a strong contender apparently

What the feck has Gandhi got to do with Leicester? We may as well have a statue of Mother Teresa........

What the feck has Gandhi got to do with the largest Hindu community outside of India? We may as well have a statue of Rusty Lee........

Well quite...:icon_roll

Last edited:
I think we should have one of Diana, she was the peoples princess^

I am starting a petition for a statue of Daniel Lambert conversing with John Merrick in the city centre.

Would you all back it?

We are having a statue too;

Melton Mowbray Council said:
Melton Mowbray Council are today pleased and proud to announce plans to build a commemorative statue to one of it's heroes and idols to the people of our wonderful town.

The Bernard Manning Memorial will stand in full pride in the Market Place as of March 2009 we can now reveal. Although not officially from Melton, and only ever having appeared here on a handful of occasions, he has inspired many a Melton youth in their quest to keep the area a "traditional" colour.

"Mr Manning was an inspiration", "Bernard was my idol" and "He hated them darkies, didn't he?" were just some of the moving comments from Melton folk upon hearing the news.

In a fitting tribute, the Mayor of Melton added, "If any of them ****ing darkies try to complain, they can just **** right back off back to the boat they came in on"

The plans for the Adolf Hitler bench and flower bed have now been placed on hold until 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669