Gandhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having a statue too;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melton Mowbray Council

Melton Mowbray Council are today pleased and proud to announce plans to build a commemorative statue to one of it's heroes and idols to the people of our wonderful town.

The Bernard Manning Memorial will stand in full pride in the Market Place as of March 2009 we can now reveal. Although not officially from Melton, and only ever having appeared here on a handful of occasions, he has inspired many a Melton youth in their quest to keep the area a "traditional" colour.

"Mr Manning was an inspiration", "Bernard was my idol" and "He hated them darkies, didn't he?" were just some of the moving comments from Melton folk upon hearing the news.

In a fitting tribute, the Mayor of Melton added, "If any of them ****ing darkies try to complain, they can just **** right back off back to the boat they came in on"

The plans for the Adolf Hitler bench and flower bed have now been placed on hold until 2010
Slow day at the office? :102:

Re: Ghandi

I think alliteration was more important than visitation.

Then 'Obnoxious of Oadby' would have been more apt :icon_wink

IME Market Harborough is the new home of the rabid rightwingers.

I reckon the planners will flip-flop over this decision.

its really stupid in this day and age, that there are still racist people around, as a gujrati i do partly agree with the statue but then i do agree a local hero of the city should rather have a statue in the city, being a city like Leicester very mixed in culture it is very good for our city but a debate like this will always go on.

but then i do agree a local hero of the city should rather have a statue in the city

But not of someone still living. I mean, what if Gary becomes a mass murderer anytime soon :102:

But not of someone still living. I mean, what if Gary becomes a mass murderer anytime soon :102:
when i said a local hero it doesnt mean it has to be gary, it could be anyone that has done something great, i was thinking more like Keith Vaz :icon_cool

when i said a local hero it doesnt mean it has to be gary, it could be anyone that has done something great, i was thinking more like Keith Vaz :icon_cool

But he's not from Leicester....and he's a ****

won't the pikeys have it away after a few days anyway?

If the photo in todays sun is anything to go by, the last thing on Gary Linekers mind is a statue. :icon_eek:

If it's in Belgrave, a statue of Ghandi would be fine. If it's in the city centre, I would want a local boy/girl made-good.

"If you follow the notion of an 'eye for an eye', the whole world will go blind"
Ghandi

From 'Only Fools and Horses' (quoted roughly from memory)
Del Boy "There were a lot of one hit wonders such as..... (examples given)"
Trigger "and Ghandi.."
Del Boy "Ghandi???"
Trigger "Yes, he made one good film and you never heard of him again".

No disrespect intended. I think he was a great man, and deserves his moniker of 'Mahatma'. I like the genuine quote I supplied above & his inspirational example of the power of non-violent protest. That said, I'm not a pacifist and do believe in armed struggle - as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669