General Election June 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to edit my previous post to replace the word "bigot" with the less offensive word "extremist." but ran out of time. People usually object to being called bigots while finding excuses to use the word about the other side. If Mr Owen Jones and Mr Kelvin Mackenzie are members of this forum (and they may well be) I hope they will accept the word "extremist" rather than "bigot".

It is counterproductive to criticise other peoples intelligence while using adolescent language.
Tone policing bullshit. How dare you imply anyone else is adolescent while you sit there complaining about swearing? It is counterproductive to concentrate on the tone of someone's comment rather than the content.

An interesting post. Obviously there are too many right wing bigots who are racist. Equally there are too many left wing bigots who regard any concerns about multiculture or immigration as racist.
You should not confuse cultural sensitivity or opposition to your opinion with bigotry. That way madness lies (1).

(1) "That way madness lies" is part of a line from the Shakespeare play King Lear. The parallels will be obvious if you check this line via your Google machine.

What BM should you say if you are not a racist but are accused by some Guardian version of Mr Dick (1) of being racist.
Perhaps just stop saying racist things. Are you so privileged that you believe the worst aspect of racism is the threat of being considered to have said something racist? If so, might I suggest a surgical extraction of your head from your arse?

(1) Mr Dick is an obsessive character in David Copperfield. Whatever the subject he brings the subject round to King Charles head. Dickens would have written wonderfully on the bigots of left and right.
Thanks.

Tone policing bullshit. How dare you imply anyone else is adolescent while you sit there complaining about swearing? It is counterproductive to concentrate on the tone of someone's comment rather than the content.
You should not confuse cultural sensitivity or opposition to your opinion with bigotry. That way madness lies (1).
(1) "That way madness lies" is part of a line from the Shakespeare play King Lear. The parallels will be obvious if you check this line via your Google machine.
Perhaps just stop saying racist things. Are you so privileged that you believe the worst aspect of racism is the threat of being considered to have said something racist? If so, might I suggest a surgical extraction of your head from your arse?
Thanks.

Rest assured BM You are not the only one who fails to read a post carefully before commenting.

I had assumed wrongly that Pork Pie Fox had used adolescent language when talking to the person he disagreed with and that would be counterproductive. Pork Pie Fox has corrected that assumption. He did not insult them to their face.
Anybody reading your post might imagine that I called PPF "adolescent". I did not. PPF is one of the better members of the forum. I called the language "adolescent".

It is difficult to take a comment on "tone" seriously when it includes "How dare you". Anybody reading this might get the impression that I commented on the tone of PPFs post. I did not mention "tone" I pointed out that insulting people does not convince them. PPF clearly and wisely agrees.

Now to reply to the serious part of your post. If you had read on you would have seen that I withdrew the word bigot in favour of extremist and was careful to include both sides of the political spectrum. I do not regard anybody who disagrees with me as a bigot. I am a Labour supporter who admires the 1950s Conservative governments of Churchill (1951-55) and Macmillan (1957-63) I like political opponents such as Priti Patel and Jacob Rees Mogg for different reasons. I am sure you have political opponents that you like.

You thank me for the Mr Dick note. Thank you for the King Lear quote which I knew but had forgotten the context. So cheer up BMe and remember anyone who likes both Shakespeare and Dickens has a lot going for them.

Where's my popcorn? ****, that twat Homer has taken it to the bloody Trust thread. What a bloody wanker, now I've got nothing to ****ing nibble on. ****ing arsewipes. ****ing bollocky shitbiscuits.

David and BM discuss the use of the word "adolescent" and then we have that.

Rest assured BM You are not the only one who fails to read a post carefully before commenting.

I had assumed wrongly that Pork Pie Fox had used adolescent language when talking to the person he disagreed with and that would be counterproductive. Pork Pie Fox has corrected that assumption. He did not insult them to their face.
Anybody reading your post might imagine that I called PPF "adolescent". I did not. PPF is one of the better members of the forum. I called the language "adolescent".
I knew very well what I was objecting to. The suggestion that any language is 'adolescent' is objectionable.

It is difficult to take a comment on "tone" seriously when it includes "How dare you". Anybody reading this might get the impression that I commented on the tone of PPFs post. I did not mention "tone" I pointed out that insulting people does not convince them. PPF clearly and wisely agrees.
I'm inclined to agree. However, the purpose of an insult is certainly not to convince another of one's argument. I recommend the following article: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/12/tone-policing-and-privilege/

Now to reply to the serious part of your post.
All of my post was serious. I do wish you'd cease the condescending ****wittery, though given your record I think that wish might be in science fiction territory.

If you had read on you would have seen that I withdrew the word bigot in favour of extremist and was careful to include both sides of the political spectrum.
Are you familiar with the term "middle ground fallacy"?

I do not regard anybody who disagrees with me as a bigot. I am a Labour supporter who admires the 1950s Conservative governments of Churchill (1951-55) and Macmillan (1957-63) I like political opponents such as Priti Patel and Jacob Rees Mogg for different reasons. I am sure you have political opponents that you like.
I certainly do, but none of them are self-serving kleptocrats like Rees-Mogg.

You thank me for the Mr Dick note. Thank you for the King Lear quote which I knew but had forgotten the context. So cheer up BMe and remember anyone who likes both Shakespeare and Dickens has a lot going for them.
Shakespeare was shit.

Shakespeare was shit.

Apologies for being excessively adolescent, but that bit did make me chuckle

The suggestion that any language is 'adolescent' is objectionable.

the purpose of an insult is certainly not to convince another of one's argument.
I think there's a **** on the forum who might need this explaining to them through the medium of pictures and sock puppets.

*Not David, to whom my highest positive conditional regard is reserved.

Answers:
1) I didn't use that language with him. I just didn't engage.
2) I was unaware of that, until Jeff pointed it out. I wasn't born until '76, so it was before my time.

I fear you have made a fatal assumption, Mr G. Wise :icon lol::icon lol::icon lol:

[QUOTE="Blue Maniac, post: 1300846, member: 3040"How dare you
It is counterproductive to concentrate on the tone of someone's comment rather than the content.

.[/QUOTE]

condescending ****wittery

.[/QUOTE]

My original comment was not about BM but about a post from Pork Pie. It is worth remembering that PPF reacted with calm and maturity.

To return to the subject of the thread. I cannot see how the mathematics can work out. The Conservatives will find it very difficult to work with the DUP. Even if Labour have the support of the LibDems and SNP I don't think they can actually form a government.
The rational answer would be another election. However, the public seemed to have election fatigue and the party treasurers will certainly not want one.
If I was a Conservative I would not want to go into an election with Teresa May as leader and yet would not want to change leader during the Brexit negotiations.
On the other hand Labour seem no closer to winning Scotland back and until they do it is difficult to see them winning 320 plus seats.

Acumen? Witty? Japes? Never.
People who know me would say that BMs description of a condescending ****wit is far more accurate.

A condescending ****wit maybe but you're still worth a thousand of one of those people attacking you.

The rational answer would be another election.

"We will have another election and another election and keep on having elections, until the people get it right!!"

NO - as with the referendum, the people have spoken as they intended to speak; it is now up to the politicians to get on with their jobs.

"We will have another election and another election and keep on having elections, until the people get it right!!"

NO - as with the referendum, the people have spoken as they intended to speak; it is now up to the politicians to get on with their jobs.

They spoke and said that May must form an alliance with the DUP. As with the referendum the people have shown they are idiots.

Nice to know that in a country where austerity is continuing to be imposed despite clear evidence of its failure, the government can reach into their backpocket and instantly find a billion pounds to bribe another party into helping them stay in power. Stay classy, Teresa.

Nice to know that in a country where austerity is continuing to be imposed despite clear evidence of its failure, the government can reach into their backpocket and instantly find a billion pounds to bribe another party into helping them stay in power. Stay classy, Teresa.

I'm sure the Northern Irish are part of the UK.

Maybe you'd prefer that the other parties that less people voted for put together a coalition government.

Or maybe another election (and then another) until it's a party that you'd prefer?

The people, under first past the post, don't have anything like that kind of control over 'what they say'.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469