Germany V England

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never mentioned Lampard, who had an outstanding season last season.

All this saying our players simply aren't good enough happens after every tournament. It's just an easy cop out, a lazy excuse that sees that nothing gets done, apart from just bring some "fresh blood" in.

Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole and Ferdinand (who ok was injured) have been the star players for 4 or 5 of the top teams in Europe for several years now. There is something inherently wrong with English football that needs sorting out, with the way we train players and the type of players we are producing and our archaic tactics. I'm sorry, but simply saying the players aren't good enough is a kop out that means nothing will change for years and years to come. We have much, much better players than the USA and Algeria and we should have beaten them easily.

Last edited:
He never mentioned Lampard, who had an outstanding season last season.

All this saying our players simply aren't good enough happens after every tournament. It's just an easy cop out, a lazy excuse that sees that nothing gets done, apart from just bring some "fresh blood" in.

Rooney, Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Ashley Cole and Ferdinand (who ok was injured) have been the star players for 4 or 5 of the top teams in Europe for several years now. There is something inherently wrong with English football that needs sorting out, with the way we train players and the type of players we are producing and our archaic tactics. I'm sorry, but simply saying the players aren't good enough is a kop out that means nothing will change for years and years to come. We have much, much better players than the USA and Algeria and we should have beaten them easily.

Rooney, yes
Gerrard has had a shit season
Terry has had a poor season by his normal standards and his personal problems. Plus he is very slow, same as Rio
Lampard can't argue with, but he never has performed for England
Cole has only just come back from injury.

Who out of the England squad do you think would get into the Spain/Brazil/Argentina/Germany or even Portugal squad?

Who out of the England squad do you think would get into the Spain/Brazil/Argentina/Germany or even Portugal squad?

It's not as simple as that though. Zanetti or Cambiasso could probably get into any team in the world but were dropped by Maradona. Alf Ramsey dropped Johnny Haynes going into 66 despite him being one of the best players in the country. It's not just about who has the best individual players, that is not what the problem is. The more we convince ourselves that, like we do after every tournament, the more we convince ourselves that it's fine and some players will come along shortly, they won't and even if they do we'll use them incorrectly and play them in some bizarre fashion they are not used to playing in, like we have done with Gerrard, one of the best midfielders of his generation, for years and like we did with Scholes before him.

Very few of our players would get into those squads because we don't produce the type of players the top international teams use.

There is not, for example, a single decent defensive midfielder who is English, not one. Rooney is the only decent player who can play as an attacking mid or in the hole and it's far from his preferred position. The type of slow lumbering centre back we produce would not be at home aside a small intelligent centre-back like Puyol and target men, "chalk on boots, cross it in" style wingers like Milner, Beckham and Lennon wouldn't either. Target men like Heskey or Crouch or poachers like Defoe wouldn't be anywhere near a modern Brazil or Argentina or Spain side no matter how good they were.

Our players are so much better than the USA's or Algeria's. Teams like Mexico, Paraguay, Japan, South Korea all looked so much better than us, showed great passing ability than us, great cohesion than us, better than us in virtually every way, despite having clearly much worse squads.

I'm sorry, but you can't use not having good enough players as an excuse for not beating sides like that and being outshon by teams like that. Our style of play is outdated, the type of footballers we produce from youth level onwards is outdated. The players are good enough and will always have the potential to be good enough, there are few, if any, countries that has as many kids playing football as England which gives us a pool as big as anyone of players who could possibly make it, we are just years behind other countries in youth development and tactical analysis and importance.

It always makes me laugh when Motson always goes on about how "tactically naive" African side are, as England are about as tactically naive as they come.

Saying the players aren't good enough is never going to sort out the real issue here, which is that England is years behind the rest of Europe and South America.

Last edited:
I dont think the huge influx of foreign expensive players to the premiership has helped... home-grown talent isnt getting the chance to come through (if they exist that is).

I dont think the huge influx of foreign expensive players to the premiership has helped... home-grown talent isnt getting the chance to come through (if they exist that is).

It's not the problem IMHO. It's not helped Italy who have the highest percentage of the main leagues for home-grown players. It should really make them better players. There is a case that not having enough English players play abroad IMHO though.

There is a case that not having enough English players play abroad IMHO though.

Agrred, but are they not good enough or too over-priced / too highly salaried to play on the continent?

there are few, if any, countries that has as many kids playing football as England which gives us a pool as big as anyone of players who could possibly make it, we are just years behind other countries in youth development and tactical analysis and importance.

I agree that the way kids are coached and the way kid's teams and leagues are managed is a huge problem, but to say that few, if any, countries have as many kids playing football is baseless nonsense.

I agree that the way kids are coached and the way kid's teams and leagues are managed is a huge problem, but to say that few, if any, countries have as many kids playing football is baseless nonsense.

We do however have fewer qualified coaches than the other bigger european countries, by a factor of 10. Trevor Brooking has been banging on for ages about the lack of technique in players coming through, the FA should be built around his plans if we're to have any hope in the future.

We do however have fewer qualified coaches than the other bigger european countries, by a factor of 10. Trevor Brooking has been banging on for ages about the lack of technique in players coming through, the FA should be built around his plans if we're to have any hope in the future.

To be fair though, you don't need to be a qualified coach just to encourage or facilitate kids playing football for fun. Not to win trophies or leagues, just for inclusive fun.

A kid kicking a ball around the street will develop technique, even if he or she never actually plays in a match in their life.

To be fair though, you don't need to be a qualified coach just to encourage or facilitate kids playing football for fun. Not to win trophies or leagues, just for inclusive fun.

A kid kicking a ball around the street will develop technique, even if he or she never actually plays in a match in their life.

And that comment, ladies and gentleman, is why England will never win the world cup again (no overstatement). If we leave kids to work it out for themselves, while eveyone else is showing them how to do it, we are going to be miles behind in the technique department.

And that comment, ladies and gentleman, is why England will never win the world cup again (no overstatement). If we leave kids to work it out for themselves, while eveyone else is showing them how to do it, we are going to be miles behind in the technique department.

Because that is what he said

They're actually on the same point. Coaching of organised football needs to be improved and at the same time, there needs to be the installation of fun at the heart of it all. One of the reason technique is so good abroad is down to the amount of time kids aren't in organised drills or sessions. Playing a game of heads/volleys or wally teaches technique yet hitting a ball on your preferred foot in a straight line whilst being lined up doesn't. Kids in Spain, France and Brazil work out on themselves to a degree - they don't have organised competitive football/coaching until 14/15.

I coached a group of lads for 6 years. From when they were 7 years old.
Having played for over 40 years I wanted to give back to the sport I love.
Looking back, there wasn't many free weekends in that time.

I don't regret the time spent coaching, but what people don't realise is the time and effort put into helping youngsters improve their game normally comes at substantial cost both time and financial w*s* to the indivdual.

I coached a group of lads for 6 years. From when they were 7 years old.
Having played for over 40 years I wanted to give back to the sport I love.
Looking back, there wasn't many free weekends in that time.

I don't regret the time spent coaching, but what people don't realise is the time and effort put into helping youngsters improve their game normally comes at substantial cost both time and financial w*s* to the indivdual.

Indeed it does and is great of those that do it, but don't you think you and the kids would have gotten more out of it if you had the option to be trained and know more about how to get the best out of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669