Germany V England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed it does and is great of those that do it, but don't you think you and the kids would have gotten more out of it if you had the option to be trained and know more about how to get the best out of them?

Yes, I do. I took my coaching badges when I was in the forces. I was allowed the time off, and the cost was subsidised.

On "civvy" street it is a different matter. Some clubs will pay for level 1.
However, the system is not very "user friendly" to those that want to further their skills.

And that comment, ladies and gentleman, is why England will never win the world cup again (no overstatement). If we leave kids to work it out for themselves, while eveyone else is showing them how to do it, we are going to be miles behind in the technique department.

And that comment, ladies and gentleman, is why jb5000 is guilty of overly dramatic histrionics, without actually reading and comprehending what somebody has posted (no overstatement).

And that comment, ladies and gentleman, is why jb5000 is guilty of overly dramatic histrionics, without actually reading and comprehending what somebody has posted (no overstatement).

Nice. I knew you'd beat him, I didn't expect such a forearm smash though!

Can we get rid of one possible future manager for a start. The FA will never appoint Harry Rednapp while he has got a court case looming over him.
The FA are people who found Alf Ramsey difficult to work with and found Bobby Robson too assertive.Their ideal candidates were Steve Maclaren and Ron Greenwood -"lovely man wouldn't say boo to a goose" (Brian Clough). Sadly neither ideal candidate was as successful as Capello.

I agree that the way kids are coached and the way kid's teams and leagues are managed is a huge problem, but to say that few, if any, countries have as many kids playing football is baseless nonsense.
There are more kids playing soccerball over here than in Britain. There are more kids playing soccerball over here than there are kids playing baseball, the supposed national sport.

There are more kids playing soccerball over here than in Britain. There are more kids playing soccerball over here than there are kids playing baseball, the supposed national sport.

I haven't seen any kids playing in the UK for at least 20 years, never mind playing football.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any kids playing in the UK for at least 20 years, never mind playing football.
That's the bottom line. When I was a kid we used to kick a ball around in the street and the local park all the time. In the late 80s the council put up signs saying "no ball games" on one of the places I used to play, so that was that.

It's easy to blame computers and TV but even though plays a massive part, it goes deeper than that. You do still see a few kids playing in the street here, in the society that championed the couch potato age.

That's the bottom line. When I was a kid we used to kick a ball around in the street and the local park all the time. In the late 80s the council put up signs saying "no ball games" on one of the places I used to play, so that was that.

It's easy to blame computers and TV but even though plays a massive part, it goes deeper than that. You do still see a few kids playing in the street here, in the society that championed the couch potato age.

Personally, I think that's bollocks. All we (as in post 1980s kids) did at lunchtime at primary school was play football, still at college age like I am now, loads of people still just play football at lunch. I see kids playing football in my local park pretty much every time I walk past there. I don't think less kids are playing it at all.

Bar the managerial spell and tactical brilliance of Alf Ramsey we have been about where we are now in the world since the 1950s. Even in 1990 we got through to the semis only due to a piss easy draw, which we squeezed through by virtue of a wonder goal in the second round and two dives in the quarter finals.

We are not a declining football nation, just a stagnating one.

Last edited:
Perhaps England could take a leaf out of Nigeria's book. The coalition government want us to come forward with ideas for changing the Law - well Mr Cameron how about action over England's poor performance

Nigeria's president has suspended his nation's football team from international competition for two years after a poor showing at the World Cup.

Perhaps if Nigeria start playing in the next 2 years without any of the World Cup squad Adebadbye might get another cap

I appreciate your post was probally not entirely serious however Nigeria are now likely to face sanctions from FIFA because of the political interference. The same could happen to France although less likely.

Personally, I think that's bollocks. All we (as in post 1980s kids) did at lunchtime at primary school was play football, still at college age like I am now, loads of people still just play football at lunch. I see kids playing football in my local park pretty much every time I walk past there. I don't think less kids are playing it at all.
I think you're on thin ice there Prof. I'd be amazed if anyone older than college age thought there were as many kids out in the streets and parks playing football as there used to be. I'd go and find the numbers relating to the amount of time kids play inside compared to outside these days, as they are genuinely shocking. But I can't be arsed.

loads of kids are playing football nowadays

on the ps3

you can't play on the street, it's full of paedos

loads of kids are playing football nowadays

on the ps3

you can't play on the street, it's full of paedos

Playing on the computer is much better, there are no paedos on the internet! :icon_wink

I think you're on thin ice there Prof. I'd be amazed if anyone older than college age thought there were as many kids out in the streets and parks playing football as there used to be. I'd go and find the numbers relating to the amount of time kids play inside compared to outside these days, as they are genuinely shocking. But I can't be arsed.

Things have certainly changed in a massive way since I was a kid.

You just have to look at the number of kids being dropped off at school to see how things have changed. That rarely happened when I was a kid - I don't think I ever had a lift to school.

From the age of five I was walking to school by myself and out on the streets playing with my friends. Apparently sometimes I went to the park instead of school, but can't remember doing it.

Children get mollycoddled now, they get lifts everywhere and everything is supervised. They're not allowed to take risks or use their initiative.

Parents are just far to worried, not just about kids being abducted, or assaulted, but of the danger from traffic etc. But it's creating a generation of young people who have had everything done for them. I'm sure that must cause problems when they're older and expected to fend for themselves.

Things have certainly changed in a massive way since I was a kid.

You just have to look at the number of kids being dropped off at school to see how things have changed. That rarely happened when I was a kid - I don't think I ever had a lift to school.

From the age of five I was walking to school by myself and out on the streets playing with my friends. Apparently sometimes I went to the park instead of school, but can't remember doing it.

Children get mollycoddled now, they get lifts everywhere and everything is supervised. They're not allowed to take risks or use their initiative.

Parents are just far to worried, not just about kids being abducted, or assaulted, but of the danger from traffic etc. But it's creating a generation of young people who have had everything done for them. I'm sure that must cause problems when they're older and expected to fend for themselves.

From the limited time I've spend in school so far I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's understandable though to some degree. I refuse to believe there are more sexual deviants out there now than there used to be, however the media frenzy nowadays is so much that it seems they are on every corner and in every internets.

I know it's morbid but I would be interested to see the suicide rates of adults that grew up as children in th 70s-early 80s and those that grew up in the 90s where competition was not encouraged at school as much. I think that if you coddle a child and never let them lose or fail then the first time they ever do fail will be at something important, like applying for Uni/job or getting fired, and then it will hit harder.

Absolutely bang on.

Interestingly, while I have no personal issue with Rosso, I seem to disagree with his posts on most issues, in particular the comments in this thread.

The England team IS limited in ability that's not an excuse, that's a fact. Only Gerrard*, Rooney and possibly Lampard would get a sniff in the Spain side and the likes of Heskey, Crouch, Wright-Phillips, Upson, Carrick, Carragher, any of the goalkeepers, and Defoe (amongst others) would struggle to get in any of the top international squads. The sooner the media and fans understand that the sooner the expectations level can be adjusted and the sooner the england side can play with less crippling pressure. The truth is the England side is equivalent to an upper mid-table premiership side. Maybe.

As for youth playing sports. If you think the onset of video games and telly in the last 15 years hasn't led to a DRAMATIC decrease in physical play from kids you're a nutter. Couple that with the decreased presence of PE in schools, ballooning serving portions and food injected with countless additives and you are in the midst of a disregard for physical health on an almost epidemic proportion.

*edit: and Ashley Cole.

Last edited:
Used to be all fields round here, and you could leave your door open all day long

Last edited:
My mum walked me to school on my first day, from then on I walked, often dribbling a football all the way. Hence my incredible ball control now. :icon_cool

Anyway, enough of my performance in the sack, back to football...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669