Holloway Staying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nalis has been released. Not a replacement for Kis mind you,

Nalis is nearly of French pensionable age.

He was too slow and somewhat ineffective when he was here before - living off his goal against Leeds - I realise that we don't have the sharpest knife in the draw as manager, but I can't see him returning here.

And now I finally understand the bizarre events of this week:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/qpr.championship?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Dowie relishes challenge ahead after returning to QPR'I'm very privileged to have been given the opportunity'

Jeremy Campbell guardian.co.uk, Wednesday May 14 2008

QPR today announced the appointment of Iain Dowie as their new first-team coach. The 43-year-old has signed a two-year deal with the club where he ended his playing career. Dowie takes the position vacated by Luigi de Canio, the Italian manager who left the club 'by mutual consent' last week, after the Championship club ended the season in 14th place.

Dowie left his job as Coventry manager in February, with differences between himself and the club's ownership cited as the reason for his departure. He has been without a club until this appointment.

"This is a very exciting long-term project," said Dowie. "I'm very privileged to have been given the opportunity under the new ownership to return to the club where I served my managerial apprenticeship. I've been thoroughly impressed by the new investors and their fresh, aggressive and innovative approach to all sporting matters, as well as the marketing and commercial aspect of this football club. QPR is a fantastic club, with a steep and successful history and I'm going to relish the challenge that lies ahead."

QPR's sporting director Gianni Paladini added: "Iain Dowie has a proven track record in the Championship and we're delighted to have him on board."

Dowie ended his playing days with QPR in 2001 after signing for the club three years earlier, and during that time he briefly became caretaker manager following Ray Harford's dismissal. He put himself forward as a permanent candidate for the job, but the board instead plumped for Gerry Francis

Last edited:
i agree homer i think thats the only reason holloway is still here purely because dowie didnt want to come here

on reflection, i can see that Holloway staying will perhaps enable us to more quickly get the squad focussed on repaying their debt to the fans.

Holloway will be able to play on the loyalty factor to get certain players to stay. Chopping and changing hasn't worked for us. And a manager who underestimates the depth of the predicament will have just the disadvantage that Holloway has been undone by.
Holloway will also already know who he can cash in onto raise funds for new players, and will be able to sell Leicester as a 'big club' to the sorts of strikers that can make hay in League One.

Gradel will be a big player for us next year. He's an exciting pacy, end product sort of winger with two feet, after Sam Vokes he was Bournemoth's best player and should add some good League One nouse for Leicester, even at a young age. Him and Bell should be given a shot on Left and Right.
I can see Sappleton perhaps being chucked into the mix aswell.

I believe we'll lose McAuley, Kisnorbo (when fit), Mattock and Stearman and there will be bids for Hume, Campbell, Howard, Oakley and Clemence.
Who stays will really depend on who feels the most responsible for repaying the fans.
I can sort of see Hume, Clemence, Oakley and Howard being keen to stay, for a combination of feeling guilty and having good contracts. I wouldn't think the young players will be advised to drop to League One, particularly Mattock who is on an upward trajectory that doesn't match Leicester's.

Two things are for sure: We need to treat this, mentally, as another championshiop season and look to play superior football to the rest of the division, just as we would do in a regular championship season.
And the club must ensure that costs are right for the fans to keep attendances over 20,000. A 15,000 average attendance will mean that we've got no atmosphere and bugger all home advantage.
A few succesive 3-0's or big wins will remind the fans that they just like to see leicester win.

COME ON THE FOXES!!!

Agree that MM wanted Dowie for sure and I think he was pretty much lined up according to press rumours - I actually think he would have come, until this better offer from QPR came along.

Last edited:
I'm surprised QPR have appointed Dowie, I was expecting them to get a big name manager - especially seeing as when Dowie did have big money to spend (at Charlton), he flumped it on useless shite.

Seems obvious to me.Holloway is here because Dowie chose QPR over us.If QPR had shown no interest in Dowie he would now be Manager of LCFC.Of course some people couldn'tt understand why a big club with all their finance would want Dowie,seems they were wrong.

Me included - I'm astonished to be honest, but there you go

It explains everything this week - if MM really wanted Holloway he would have come out and said so, instead of this twaddle 'business as usual' nonsense. It's just not his style

Plus there's this bizarre talk of 'taking it to the other Directors' - as if Mandaric could give two fecks about that. It all stinks to high heaven

So I suppose we must 'live with' having our manager decided by default - unless Mad Mandy can con someone else into taking it......

Last edited:
Has Mandric actually come out and backed Holloway,saying 'he is the man for the job' etc ?

Has Mandric actually come out and backed Holloway,saying 'he is the man for the job' etc ?

Nope - that would be his 'normal' style if he really wanted him here, but we've had no mention of that whatsoever

Seems obvious to me.Holloway is here because Dowie chose QPR over us.If QPR had shown no interest in Dowie he would now be Manager of LCFC.Of course some people couldn'tt understand why a big club with all their finance would want Dowie,seems they were wrong.

Good point H.

QPR are the richest club in the Championship, and they appoint Dowie.But we still have fans that think ID is shit and would be no good for our club. No wonder we end up with the dregs.

Theres still hope for us who want IH out. If when all the shuffling of managers has calmed down, i can see MM/or chairmen at the time, kick the tw&t out and appoint............................ive no fecking idea :081:

I guess if he said that he would be making a rod for his own back,be interesting to see what Managers become available in the close season.

Nope - that would be his 'normal' style if he really wanted him here, but we've had no mention of that whatsoever

That fact alone gives me hope. :icon_bigg :icon_wink

Good point H.

QPR are the richest club in the Championship, and they appoint Dowie.But we still have fans that think ID is shit and would be no good for our club. No wonder we end up with the dregs.

Theres still hope for us who want IH out. If when all the shuffling of managers has calmed down, i can see MM/or chairmen at the time, kick the tw&t out and appoint............................ive no fecking idea :081:

He's a shit manager end of. QPR's appointment has more to do with the knockbacks they got elsewhere. If anything it proves the lack of options to anyone atm. At least attractive manager options.

At every club he's been there has had to be some kind of re-jig in his aftermath.

MM will be kicking himself. A few months ago ID would have jumped at coming here.

Its seems like everything MM touches turns to dust.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669