How Are People Feeling Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it had no more effect than the celebrities used by the no campaign. David Gower, Darren Gough, James Cracknell etc.

I had not thought the No celebrities featured as strongly but I may be wrong..
Therefore I will balance my earlier question:
Was anyone influenced in their Yes or No vote by the celebrity endorsements?

I had not thought the No celebrities featured as strongly but I may be wrong..
Therefore I will balance my earlier question:

I never saw any personally so it didn't influence my vote.

Surely the contributors here are far too intelligent to be influenced by anything like that. Well, most of them.

Foxestalk is that way ----------->

You may have better luck with your question there!

There was a very interesting result in the Aylestone Ward Council election where we have had an excellent local councillor. Nigel Porter was elected as the only Liberal Democrat on the council. I am sure this was because many local people did what I did and voted for him despite him being a Liberal Democrat. I had told him in the street that I would vote for him because he had earned my vote although I do not agree with his party.

I think it is good for local government that voters recognise the work of an oustanding councillor whatever his party.

Surely the contributors here are far too intelligent to be influenced by anything like that. Well, most of them.

Foxestalk is that way ----------->

You may have better luck with your question there!

My theory is that celebrity endorsements have no positive effect on a campaign.

In The Guardian in 1992 someone crowed that Labour had the support of people like Ben Elton, Harold Pinter etc "the cool people" while the Conservatives had the support of the "naff" people like Bob Monkhouse, Lulu and ken Dodd. I thought at the time that this was not something to crow about - "the cool people" were the celebs the small readership of The Guardian liked whereas Monkhouse, Lulu and Ken Dodd were the ones the public liked. However, I could find no evidence that either the cool or the popular people affected the vote.

In 1964 a hugely popular entertainer called Jimmy Edwards stood for the Conservatives and lost. In the last election Esther Rantzen stood as an independent and lost her deposit.Even in Derby and Nottingham where Brian Clough was idolised there is no reason to think his public support for Labour had the slightest effect on the voting there.

It may be that the public have more sense when it comes to celebrities than they are given credit for.

Then they can't really be catered for. They are apathetic.

Really?

Or is it that power is vested in the hands of a minority based on a corrupt system which precludes the involvement of anybody else?

Shit. I feel feint. I need a bath and a Horlicks.

Really?

Or is it that power is vested in the hands of a minority based on a corrupt system which precludes the involvement of anybody else?

Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to? How much is the monthly fee?

Really?

No, people really can't be arsed to choose which bunch of pricks 'run' the country.

Really?

Shit. I feel feint. I need a bath and a Horlicks.

No, they couldn't be arsed to go to a local polling station and put a cross in a box on a piece of paper next to yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00