How Are People Feeling Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad. No more meaningful football for three months :icon_cry:

So democracy has been rejected....democratically!

To get my personal bias out of the way first. I voted against AV but would have voted for The Supplementary Vote (used for mayoral elections) which I believe is the most democratic.

My understanding is that both sides believed their side was the democratic one and thought the other undemocratic.

Constitional reform tends to come from great public anger. In 1688 MPs risked their lives to make sure the monarch could not be a catholic. In 1831 Nottingham Castle was burned down by people wanting what became the 1832 reform bill In 1913 Emily Davidson sacrificed her life for female suffrage. Probably the majority of people did not see First Past The Post as that important

While Conservatives were against AV and LibDems in favour with Labour opinion divided I did not get the feeling that trust or dislike of any particular politician actually affected peoples votes. I realise this goes against the newspapers which blame Nick Clegg.
This was a contrast to the 1975 referendum where trust in Harold Wilson - the "Harold's For It" factor - was apparently important in Labour voters decision.

Having an interest in constitutional history (not that this was Magna Carta) I spoke to a lot of people while trying not to give my view.
Those in favour of AV seemed to believe it was fairer.
Those against AV did not like the way those people voting for smaller parties would have their votes counted twice.

The undisputed fact that AV would make coalitions more likely seemed to tell against AV. LibDems suggested that coalitions are a good thing but my impression was that many people disagreed seeing coalitions rightly or wrongly as weak.

Whichever side had lost would no doubt have blamed the loss on dirty tricks or on the voters failing to understand their case.
Nobody ever likes the truth about defeat in a landslide whether it be the Conservatives in 1945 and 1997, Labour in 1979 and 1983 or AV in 2011- it is difficult to accept that people understood your case and simply disagreed.

Were the people right to reject AV? It is impossible to be sure - ask me in a hundred years time.

Chilled.
Just bought my tickets for the Play Offs and now bringing some stilton up to room temperature.
Here we go again.

Met a friend from 25 - 30 years ago that in his day was a "fanny rat" to the extreme, alas father time has not been kind and he looks 20 years older than his years.
So, feel a bit down and wonder where have all the years gone so quickly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00