How's the squad shaping up?

A question about the naming of the 25:
If a player has played a game but gets transferred away before the end of the window, does he still have to be included in the named 25?
And what about a player who stays at the club, can he play al game and not be included in the 25 providing he doesn't play again after the decisive date?

The club can make as many changes as they like while the transfer window is open. So no, and yes.

I'll say this - if 4-5 players aren't gone by the close of the window there will be some very hurt feelings.

I can't see us naming more than one of Kristiansen/Castagne/Thomas. At least two keepers will be left out and it's not insane to think both of our signature signings from 2021 and Jan 2023 are completely out of our championship squad.

Bit mad really. In summary - Brendan Rodgers is an arsehole.

Changes inside a Transfer Window

Changes to the Squad List can be made at any time during the Transfer Window.
Clubs do not need to apply to the EFL for approval to make the change, Clubs only need tomake the changes via iFAS.
In order to be eligible for a League Match during the Transfer Window, the Player (unless an exclusion applies) must be registered with the EFL and be included on the Squad List before the relevant League Match.
The EFL recommends uploading the updated Squad List not less than 24 hours before the relevant League Match.

Changes outside of a Transfer Window
The League will only consider granting permission to make changes to the Squad List outside of a Transfer Window where:
• the Club’s current Squad List contains less than the maximum number of Players permitted to be included on the Squad List and the Club wishes to add an Out of Registration Player or another Player registered with the Club but not currently included on the Squad List, or
• in other truly exceptional circumstances to include but not be limited to those setout in the note from EFL Player Admin found on the EFL Portal

I'll say this - if 4-5 players aren't gone by the close of the window there will be some very hurt feelings.

I can't see us naming more than one of Kristiansen/Castagne/Thomas. At least two keepers will be left out and it's not insane to think both of our signature signings from 2021 and Jan 2023 are completely out of our championship squad.

Bit mad really. In summary - Brendan Rodgers is an arsehole.
Complete **** up in recruitment is an
understatement

It also makes you wonder about the appointment of EM.

Surely we would have asked him about his approach and how he would use the squad. Especially those players we thought would be here this season, Souttar, Kristiansen, Iversen, and so on.

If his answer was "I hardly want any of the useless fecks" it just gives us an even bigger task to restructure the squad than was already forced upon us.

For example, we have loads of full backs so we pick a new manager that doesn't use them.

Surely we would have asked him about his approach and how he would use the squad. Especially those players we thought would be here this season, Souttar, Kristiansen, Iversen, and so on.

If his answer was "I hardly want any of the useless fecks" it just gives us an even bigger task to restructure the squad than was already forced upon us.

For example, we have loads of full backs so we pick a new manager that doesn't use them.
Or maybe they realized we needed a complete refresh on the pitch and thought a manger with a different approach would invigorate the team and the club.

So (excuse typos - lazy)

Keepers
1. Hermansen
2. Stolarcyzk
3. Iversen or Ward or Smithees

Defenders
4. Coady
5. Ricardo
6. Justin
7. Doyle
8. Faes
9. Vestergaard

Midfield
11. Winks
12. Albrighton
13. Hamza
14. KDH
15. Wilf
16. Praet
17. Mcateer
18. Casadei

Forwards
19. Mavididi
20. Vardy
21. Nacho

So four spot remain. However this assumes no places for:

Thomas
Kristiansen
Souttar
Castagne
2 Keepers
Soumare
Daka

Assuming no outgoings at all:
22. Thomas
23. Daka
24. Kristiansen
25. Souttar

I hope/expect 3 of the above to leave as well as Castagne.

If so I'd expect:

22. Right Wing
23. Central Defender
24. Striker
25. Thomas or Kristiansen

Assuming you're naming the squad you'd expect, what about Macal, Nelson, Albrighton

Assuming you're naming the squad you'd expect, what about Macal, Nelson, Albrighton
Macal and Nelson are u21 so don't have to be included. Albrighton is in that list; look again.

You normally talk alot of sense BN but not here. You pick the right manager first and foremost and then deal with the playing staff. You do not base the manager on the makeup of the squad.

I believe you are over thinking it.

No doubt EM was interviewed and asked about his style of play, of his answer was to be that he could use the current players one and all, would you not deduce that based on the previous season this would be a recipe for disaster?

Good solid planning from LCFC, as per

You normally talk alot of sense BN but not here. You pick the right manager first and foremost and then deal with the playing staff. You do not base the manager on the makeup of the squad.

I would agree in normal circumstances. It's absolutely right to pick the manager and then back him.

However, in our situation, we were already forced into a massive overhaul of the squad. Relegation and contracts meant is was a certainty.

If you know that you will have to change half a squad anyway, it seems odd to choose an approach that means that you need to change a load of the rest too.

With two weeks of the window remaining, we have at least a dozen unwanted players and need another five or so in. We've already made about twenty squad changes.

It's just a massive challenge and a very expensive one.

I would agree in normal circumstances. It's absolutely right to pick the manager and then back him.

However, in our situation, we were already forced into a massive overhaul of the squad. Relegation and contracts meant is was a certainty.

If you know that you will have to change half a squad anyway, it seems odd to choose an approach that means that you need to change a load of the rest too.

With two weeks of the window remaining, we have at least a dozen unwanted players and need another five or so in. We've already made about twenty squad changes.

It's just a massive challenge and a very expensive one.
We needed a massive squad overhaul, absolutely. In which case, no better time to bring in the man who we think is best for the long term.

Getting a proper DOF in as soon as the season ended would have been the best approach.

You have to assume no player will take a wage cut. Why the **** should they? Perhaps the odd one might move because they want to play football, but even then, they’ll want a similar compensation package.

Whatever deals you cut have to include making the player “whole” via wage subsidies, etc.
Players not prepared to take a wage cut suggests we didn’t have relegation clauses in their contracts…..I seem to recall it being mentioned on the forum it was a given that they would and Rudkin and Co wouldn’t be that stupid.

Players not prepared to take a wage cut suggests we didn’t have relegation clauses in their contracts…..I seem to recall it being mentioned on the forum it was a given that they would and Rudkin and Co wouldn’t be that stupid.
2 + 2 = 5

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463