Pre Match Hull City v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpjfox

Hopefully a full squad to chose from bar the suspended Huth. For this game. I would play Hernandes alongside Morgan then maybe longer term as a replacement for Simpson. I think Musa will start but unsure if its to replace Albrighton or Okazaki. Back to the serious stuff, all eyes on us lets open the season with a bang, i think we will in a 0-3 win Vardy 2 Musa IMO the squad is looking good with Mendy slowly improving into an adequate Kante replacemnt, Grays performances are putting pressure on Mahrez to perform, and there is Kapuska waiting for a chance to show what a good player he can be

There isn't anything that I saw in the Community Shield to suggest we can't win the first game of this season, bar the mistakes that were clearly just a moment of stupidity and nerves.

However we have enough pace and power up front to scare Hull - and Curtis Davies will have no hope against Vardy AND Musa. I think we may concede, but I also think we'll walk away with all 3 points.

We know we can score. I hope Ranieri tells them to go out and batter Hull and send a clear message to everyone that last year was not a fluke.

We can and will beat anyone and everyone.

Musa and Vardy up top.

Mahrez in behind them or alongside as a three.

Gray and Okazaki to do the chasing for Drinkwater in the middle.

Hernadez to step in for Huth.

I'm not convinced that Vardy and Musa would work together as effectively as Vardy and Okazaki.

Same starting 11 that started yesterday for me with Musa and Gray coming on if / when needed.

I don't think King should start and I would roplace Albrighton too.

Schmeichel

Simpson / Morgan / Hernandez / Fuchs

Drinkwater / Mendy / Amartey

Mahrez / Vardy / Gray

Albrighton played his way out of the team first half yesterday, he was awful. The fact that Gray replaced him and did well means he must start.

King didn't do enough either. I'm not convinced yet by Mendy but he has got to get the nod alongside Drinkwater.

Hernandez for Huth is obvious.

The rest should be as yesterday.

I'm tempted to advocate dropping Mahrez for Schlupp based on pre-season form but Ranieri would never contemplate it.

Simpson wasn't great but he did make one sensational far post defensive header that reminded me of why he was so influential last season. Maybe, like Schmeichel and Morgan, he just needs to get his head together.

Albrighton played his way out of the team first half yesterday, he was awful. The fact that Gray replaced him and did well means he must start.

King didn't do enough either. I'm not convinced yet by Mendy but he has got to get the nod alongside Drinkwater.

Hernandez for Huth is obvious.

The rest should be as yesterday.

I'm tempted to advocate dropping Mahrez for Schlupp based on pre-season form but Ranieri would never contemplate it.

Simpson wasn't great but he did make one sensational far post defensive header that reminded me of why he was so influential last season. Maybe, like Schmeichel and Morgan, he just needs to get his head together.

Agree with all of that.

Imo Albrighton will be one of the players that falls away this season.

I think he's a bit one dimensional and if the fullback can't work out that he's going to cut back onto his right foot to cross by now then they shouldn't be playing football.

Luckily we have players to keep the pressure on.

The defence as a whole also needs to improve, lots of silly mistakes and bad decisions from what I have seen of them this pre-season.

I think he's a bit one dimensional and if the fullback can't work out that he's going to cut back onto his right foot to cross by now then they shouldn't be playing football.

It feels absurd to question our glorious leader, but why don't we switch the wide men more - game by game as well as for periods of matches?

The strengths of Albrighton and Mahrez are different on the 'other' side and would ask totally different questions of the opposition.

As well as giving Albrighton the ability to take his man on or get an early cross in, it will give a quandary to those opposition teams that double up on Mahrez.

It feels absurd to question our glorious leader, but why don't we switch the wide men more - game by game as well as for periods of matches?

The strengths of Albrighton and Mahrez are different on the 'other' side and would ask totally different questions of the opposition.

As well as giving Albrighton the ability to take his man on or get an early cross in, it will give a quandary to those opposition teams that double up on Mahrez.
Because we would be more exposed when we lose the ball. Inverted wingers make a team more defensively compact - this is particularly important when playing only two central midfielders.

I was tempted to leave him out of my team above, but then I thought a game like Hull away should be one in which he'll do well which should hopefully give him the boost he clearly needs.

Because we would be more exposed when we lose the ball. Inverted wingers make a team more defensively compact - this is particularly important when playing only two central midfielders.

I genuinely don't understand this. Why would the same players on opposite sides of the pitch make any difference to their ability to defend?

I genuinely don't understand this. Why would the same players on opposite sides of the pitch make any difference to their ability to defend?
Because if you're right footed and therefore playing on the right you naturally tackle/lead with that foot but once switched to the other side players will beat you more easily on your outside as you don't naturally tackle/lead with your wrong foot.

Because if you're right footed and therefore playing on the right you naturally tackle/lead with that foot but once switched to the other side players will beat you more easily on your outside as you don't naturally tackle/lead with your wrong foot.

Okay. So why is it better defensively to allow players to beat you more easily on the inside rather than the outside?

Okay. So why is it better defensively to allow players to beat you more easily on the inside rather than the outside?
Because a narrow attack is easier to defend than an expansive one (in most cases).

The way I was taught as a right back, was that by leading your man inside he should run into another defensive player. If he beats you on the outside he then has time and space.

The way I was taught as a right back, was that by leading your man inside he should run into another defensive player. If he beats you on the outside he then has time and space.
I will pass this technical stuff onto our new manager.Good to have a mole deep under cover.Keep up the good work

You were taught correctly. Show them inside, as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363