If you were God..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
fly half i was, until I saw the light and played hockey instead

I find it interesting that most of you posting in this thread don't seem to be in favour of God. In fact some of the posts on here are not only offensive to believers of all faiths but I should imagine God himself would be a tad peeved at what's being said. To suggest that belief in God is a form of mental illness is an insult to any religion, whether it be Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist.

I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs. I think poking fun at believers is not only disrespectful but hypocritical. How would you like it if someone said all atheists were delusional or mentally ill??? I doubt you'd be too happy about that. In the words of someone you probably hate "Forgive them father, they know not what they do."

So endeth the sermon. By the way I've found if you get to the supermarket really late most nights you can nearly always get a bargain, even if Disco Bob isn't on the register. :icon_conf

I find it interesting that most of you posting in this thread don't seem to be in favour of God.

That's the thing about the interwebby thingy. People say what they like and nobody knows if they are being truthful or not.

Personally I reckon most people keep things like religion to themselves. Life is easier that way :)

To suggest that belief in God is a form of mental illness is an insult to any religion, whether it be Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist.

Aye if some bloke was in a mental prison and started talking about people dividing a river in half, god elephants, going on jihad or believing in karma, I am sure we'd all think he's normal.

If you haven't noticed a set of fanatics are currently using religion as validation to blow up the world. Do I respect these people because of their belief that God is telling them to sort out the world? Do I ****.

Aye if some bloke was in a mental prison and started talking about people dividing a river in half, god elephants, going on jihad or believing in karma, I am sure we'd all think he's normal.

If you haven't noticed a set of fanatics are currently using religion as validation to blow up the world. Do I respect these people because of their belief that God is telling them to sort out the world? Do I ****.

There are also thousands upon thousands of people in this country, and in others, who quietly go about helping others each and every day because of their religious beliefs

Could you respect them at all ?

Or shall we just merrily label the millions of people in the world who have faith in God(s) as loonies, simpletons and/or dangerous fanatics ?

So someone in a loony bin talking to elephants is considered to be normal by your reasoning and someone who uses the actions of the relatively few fanatics to justify not respecting the beliefs of others is also considered to be okay. Fair enough, it's not terrorism I'm defending it's the rights of people to freedom of opinion, freedom to choose their own beliefs and not have a bunch of politically correct atheists telling them they're nuts because they believe in God. :icon_conf

There are also thousands upon thousands of people in this country, and in others, who quietly go about helping others each and every day because of their religious beliefs

Could you respect them at all ?

Or shall we just merrily label the millions of people in the world who have faith in God(s) as loonies, simpletons and/or dangerous fanatics ?

:038: :038: :038:

can I have my lawn-mower back now Homer??? :icon_redf

The only time religion bothers me is when it's thrust in my face. Like callers coming to your door or when someone is preaching on tv about how their religion is great bla bla bla or when it is used as justification for something that someone has done or justification for excessive special treatment.

Other than that, i don't have a problem with religion or religious people. We all have our beliefs (or lack of) and are quite right to have them.

If we all left each other alone and certain religions stopped trying to preach to (or take over) the world, we'd all be much more understanding.

The only time religion bothers me is when it's thrust in my face. Like callers coming to your door or when someone is preaching on tv about how their religion is great bla bla bla or when it is used as justification for something that someone has done or justification for excessive special treatment.

Other than that, i don't have a problem with religion or religious people. We all have our beliefs (or lack of) and are quite right to have them.

If we all left each other alone and certain religions stopped trying to preach to (or take over) the world, we'd all be much more understanding.

Well said Nathan, there's an old saying about never discussing religion or politics and generally it's a good idea. So ... politics anyone ??? :tumbleweed:

In fact some of the posts on here are not only offensive to believers of all faiths but I should imagine God himself would be a tad peeved at what's being said. To suggest that belief in God is a form of mental illness is an insult to any religion, whether it be Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist.

**** him, he's a complete & utter ****.
Have a read of the Bible & see some of the things that he's supposed to have done, the man's a ****ing lunatic.
A tad peeved? I hope He's bursting a vein with anger, it might make him sit down & reflect on His shortcomings.

I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs. I think poking fun at believers is not only disrespectful but hypocritical. How would you like it if someone said all atheists were delusional or mentally ill???

What is hypocritical about it???
If any religion is going to make outrageous claims & dictate to people on how they should live their life then it has to be prepared to stand up to some scrutiny.

I'm not poking fun at anybody & I respect everybody's right to believe whatever they wish but that doesn't mean it isn't open for discussion.

*edit* If you were to make the claim that all atheists are delusional I imagine they would be delighted at the opportunity to prove you wrong.

In the words of someone you probably hate "Forgive them father, they know not what they do."

Don't bother your arse offering me forgiveness God, I know exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Can I just say a big thank you to the glorious Hindu religion today

Heaps of big fat samosas and sickly sweets in the office that I have been pigging out on all morning

You just don't get that sort of thing with the miserable heathens

Happy Diwali :038:

**** him, he's a complete & utter ****.
Have a read of the Bible & see some of the things that he's supposed to have done, the man's a ****ing lunatic.
A tad peeved? I hope He's bursting a vein with anger, it might make him sit down & reflect on His shortcomings.

Strange Macky. Some of your references to God are deferential and use a capital 'H' and others lower case.

I think this means you are struggling to come to terms with your own spirituality.:icon_wink

Strange Macky. Some of your references to God are deferential and use a capital 'H' and others lower case.

I think this means you are struggling to come to terms with your own spirituality.:icon_wink

You nearly got the right word........

You're probably right spionfox, it's taken me years to undo the brain washing but I'm getting there.

I am a recovering Catholic.

some of the posts on here are not only offensive to believers of all faiths
boo hoo, they're offended, who gives a shit?
if they're right, i'll rot in hell

but I should imagine God himself would be a tad peeved at what's being said
of course he would be... but he doesn't exist :102:

To suggest that belief in God is a form of mental illness is an insult to any religion, whether it be Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist.
indeed it is, well spotted :icon_roll

it's not a mental illness, just a human trait with an aversion to reason, like reading your horoscope or having lucky socks

I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs
really? the BNP's beliefs? Hitler's? Stalin's George Bush's? how very tolerant of you not to question anybody's views

I think poking fun at believers is not only disrespectful but hypocritical
that's funny cos i condsider it the freedom of speech and the bedrock of democracy

How would you like it if someone said all atheists were delusional or mentally ill??? I doubt you'd be too happy about that
feel free. instead of bleating about respect, why don't you join in the argument? try and slate my non belief

and atheiem is not a belief, it's the lack of belief

You're probably right spionfox, it's taken me years to undo the brain washing but I'm getting there.

I am a recovering Catholic.

That is the best term I have come across for it... am with you on that :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69