Important message for MDV 'boo-boys'

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy, Nisse and Stearman punted balls at his head - where he wasn't strong.

and to make matters worse neither were the balls played towards him. always had to shift a fair way before getting near the ball which isn't great when you steadying to hold the ball up

However, just because he's made a couple of decent PSF appearances doesn't hide away the fact that he let us down badly.

His body language on the pitch together with his constant moaning and complaining to refs was embarrassing.

Part of this is that he got constantly penalised in the Championship for shielding the ball and backing into players - which he rightly complained about. Against Spurs, when he was allowed to do that without penalty, we all saw his skill.

And for so long, McCarthy, Nisse and Stearman punted balls at his head - where he wasn't strong.

I thought MdV had a good game yesterday as well and I'm happy for him to have a place in our first 16, but as you clearly state he gets penalised a lot in the championship, is it possible that that extra second or so you supposedly get on the ball against premiership teams is what allowed him to look good yesterday?

I'm very much looking forward to the season ahead - in my mind its all going to be become pretty clear where we will finish after the first 5 or so games. If the defense is ok on crosses (something which appears to have been a bit of a problem from the 2 preseason games I've seen) and the left sided problem is resolved we could be in for a good season.

I won't explore the other possibility because right now whats the point?

Last edited by a moderator:
..... you like him dont you...

dont matter how close to twenty he gets ... he wont be top scorer ...

I'll match a small wager with you -- £twenty ... for the "craic"

... the seasons gettin interestin already...

lets hope if dont matter -- 'cause we've gone up !!

Game on :)

Thought MDV was excellent yesterday. More of the same this season please!

Agree with you MHS. There were still some prats behind me chanting " You're not fit to wear the shirt ". They obviously didn't notice whose killer pass it was that set up our goal, then again all they were doing all game was trying to look hard at the Pompey fans.

thing is, with the strikers, there's competition for places

Hume is the top goal scorer but sometimes comes across as a headless chicken

MDV has improved pre season and looks ok

Fryatt has the skill but can he apply it?

DJ has skill but he's an unknown

Elvis is shite

it's not an embarrassment of riches, but competition forces players to be better

well, we could consider the following for saturday if we don't bring any new players in

Nielsen (on bench Henderson)

Chambers
N'Gotty (on bench Stearman)
McAuley
Mattock

Kaebi (on bench Newton)
Weso (on bench Kishishev)
Clemence
Hume

DeVries
Campbell (on bench Fryatt or Sappleton)

never thought i'd recommend Devries again, but shifting 2 stone and getting your head down when you've been written off by 3 clubs in succession is no mean feat. he should be applauded for seemingly turning himself around at the age of 30/31.

well, we could consider the following for saturday if we don't bring any new players in

Nielsen (on bench Henderson)

Chambers
N'Gotty (on bench Stearman)
McAuley
Mattock

Kaebi (on bench Newton)
Weso (on bench Kishishev)
Clemence
Hume

DeVries
Campbell (on bench Fryatt or Sappleton)

thought Weso was a bit out of sorts - I'd play Kishishev

If Mattocks fit he could play Left Mid

so that means Stearman and Chambers as our full backs...

shame Kisnorbo is out ... he looks the strongest option at centre half for me.

Hume will probably start ...but I think their are better starting options at the moment.

I think we'll win anyway whatever line-up goes out..

considering we are at home we could conceivably try this on saturday?

Nielsen

Kaebi
N'Gotty
McAuley
Mattock

Weso
Kishishev
Clemence

Campbell
DeVries
Hume

fullbacks can get forward, bit more pace at the back solid in the middle with a good spread of forwards.

maybe worth a punt?

Mattock's performance on the left wing against Portsmouth wasn;t too convincing in my opinion. Didn't I hear he'd picked up some kind of hip injury during that game though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00