improve Atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont see how having women in the kop is a problem - there has been women in the kop (at both grounds) all the time I have been going to watch city and we are just as passionate about following our team ;)

So you're a screamer huh? :icon_cool

the bloke who sits just along from me is one reason for poor atmosphere, people like him anyway. he sits all game shouting "your shit" at our players, even if we score he doesnt say anything positive. I cant count the number of times ive told him to feck off and support forest

Atmosphere is a big problem, look at tigers when they have come to play here, they didnt get the passion that they get from welford. I hope Mr Taylor (chairman) looks at these forums, though we have no money. WHo designed teh feckin stadium anyhow, none of teh fans did, bet the guy is chillin out in his Dutch canal boat laughing his head off:icon_cool

Atmosphere is a big problem, look at tigers when they have come to play here, they didnt get the passion that they get from welford. I hope Mr Taylor (chairman) looks at these forums, though we have no money. WHo designed teh feckin stadium anyhow, none of teh fans did, bet the guy is chillin out in his Dutch canal boat laughing his head off:icon_cool
The reason we have no atmosphere at our stadium is because it has no personality or individuality.

There is a big warehouse somewhere with 1000's of these stadiums in, all flat packed ready for collection.

Soon, we will all have one

Last edited:
I suggest we have a band play through out the match.....:icon_cool

Design of the stadium is a major factor. Even at times when the whole ground has been full and shouting (thinking for example of the day it was announced we had come out of administration) you get the feeling the only noise is coming from the bit you are in. I have heard others complain of the same thing at similar grounds (eg Southampton). By contrast, the City of Manchester Stadium, instead of being a single tier bowl, was built as two tiers (plus the extra bits down the sides) and despite being similar in other respects (seats well back from the pitch, single stand running right round the ground) it generates a lot more atmosphere.

Other grounds with a more traditional structure (4 seperate stands) seem to bounce noise round better and where they have "hollow" stands rather than heavy concrete it is easy to get foot-stamping going to encourage people to join in (Craven Cottage & the Valley spring to mind)

Many people (me included) tend to join in singing/chanting rather than start it, so if the noise from the kop or wherever doesn't reach you with any intensity you tend to stay quiet.

I seem to recall that when the new ground was announced there was something about it being designed to "contain" sound, so I guess there is an inherent design problem.

Part of the reason for the poor atmosphere is the acoustics at the stadium. These were specifically designed to limit noise because of the residential area.

Even within the stand it is very noticeable that the further back the better the noise, the further forward the quieter. This is why the further from the stand the harder to hear. In the family stand it is often possible to see that the KOP is singing, but often impossible to hear what. Wherever is singing it is hard for others to pick up the tune and always seems as if you are singing solo, which few of us feel comfortable with.

I move around the stands as I have no season ticket, but mostly like J1 in the East Stand, great view and can hear both the Kop and L1. The Kop is a bit sweary for my children, but I sometimes go there when I am without the kids. The West stand is the worst for atmosphere, I was there for a Cup match once and swear that I was the only one to stand and cheer when City scored, the rest just looked at me. Why do they go? It is not helped by the big gap in the seats for the empty executive seats.

So what can we do?

People sing louder and better when standing (as all singers know, even in Church you stand to sing!) A standing area would definitely help, with removeable seats that could be put in for required all seater matches. This is normal in Germany so why not here.

Secondly I would like to see the club to use "when you're smiling..." perhaps on the PA in the warm up stage

If this was played regularly it has the potential to be a signature tune once again, easy words and straightforward tune. Just because it is old does not mean that youngsters would not sing it. After all who can remember when "blue moon", "Blowing bubbles" and "walk alone" were in the charts?

Frankly I would swap Filbert way for the Tigers ground any day. End the financial problems, fill the stadium (indeed create a shortage of seats, creating more need to have a season ticket) A standing area and have a pint in the stands, never happen though.....Pity Rugby is such a crap game, the tigers have the more atmospheric ground.

Secondly I would like to see the club to use "when you're smiling..." perhaps on the PA in the warm up stage

If this was played regularly it has the potential to be a signature tune once again, easy words and straightforward tune. Just because it is old does not mean that youngsters would not sing it. After all who can remember when "blue moon", "Blowing bubbles" and "walk alone" were in the charts?

I think you are on to something there.

has there ever been any questions put forward in fans meetings at the ground about the poor quality atmosphere?

Its usually the board asking the questions of how they can improve it. They dont seem keen though with the answer 'give us a winning team and the rest wil happen naturally' They much prefer crap ideas like a feckin band :confused: :icon_roll

Part of the reason for the poor atmosphere is the acoustics at the stadium. These were specifically designed to limit noise because of the residential area.

Even within the stand it is very noticeable that the further back the better the noise, the further forward the quieter. This is why the further from the stand the harder to hear. In the family stand it is often possible to see that the KOP is singing, but often impossible to hear what. Wherever is singing it is hard for others to pick up the tune and always seems as if you are singing solo, which few of us feel comfortable with.

I move around the stands as I have no season ticket, but mostly like J1 in the East Stand, great view and can hear both the Kop and L1. The Kop is a bit sweary for my children, but I sometimes go there when I am without the kids. The West stand is the worst for atmosphere, I was there for a Cup match once and swear that I was the only one to stand and cheer when City scored, the rest just looked at me. Why do they go? It is not helped by the big gap in the seats for the empty executive seats.

So what can we do?

People sing louder and better when standing (as all singers know, even in Church you stand to sing!) A standing area would definitely help, with removeable seats that could be put in for required all seater matches. This is normal in Germany so why not here.

Frankly I would swap Filbert way for the Tigers ground any day. End the financial problems, fill the stadium (indeed create a shortage of seats, creating more need to have a season ticket) A standing area and have a pint in the stands, never happen though.....Pity Rugby is such a crap game, the tigers have the more atmospheric ground.

good post. im young and when your smiling is my fave song. we have the opportunity to have a signiture song like others but for me it seems sometimes our fans actually lack character themsleves. suprising because i actually find leicester people to be really funny and witty.

the fans are a boring lot half of the time and to be honest the KOP (shouldnt be called that out of respect to sk1) is an absolute joke. cant believe people moan in there when people try to generate something. im a hardcore fan who gets very passionate about the side and really into the game and sometimes i feel extremely alone in this. im sure i wouldnt have this problem if i was a west ham fan, i hate putting my own kind down and i rarely do it or have done it before but it pisses me off sometimes that so many of our fans are so ****ing boring, id rather have a hardcore fan base of 10,000 that give it some fecking hammer to tell you the truth. having said this, nothing gets me more excited than knowing im going down the city in the morning, i suppose thats part of being the type of fan i am and this will certainly never change no matter how drab some of the miserable feckers around me are.

i think im gonna use tomorow as a starting point in telling any of these un passionate barstools who shout me down for getting behind my team to feck rite off.

good post. im young and when your smiling is my fave song. we have the opportunity to have a signiture song like others but for me it seems sometimes our fans actually lack character themsleves. suprising because i actually find leicester people to be really funny and witty.

the fans are a boring lot half of the time and to be honest the KOP (shouldnt be called that out of respect to sk1) is an absolute joke. cant believe people moan in there when people try to generate something. im a hardcore fan who gets very passionate about the side and really into the game and sometimes i feel extremely alone in this. im sure i wouldnt have this problem if i was a west ham fan, i hate putting my own kind down and i rarely do it or have done it before but it pisses me off sometimes that so many of our fans are so ****ing boring, id rather have a hardcore fan base of 10,000 that give it some fecking hammer to tell you the truth. having said this, nothing gets me more excited than knowing im going down the city in the morning, i suppose thats part of being the type of fan i am and this will certainly never change no matter how drab some of the miserable feckers around me are.

i think im gonna use tomorow as a starting point in telling any of these un passionate barstools who shout me down for getting behind my team to feck rite off.

imo i think the fans havent changed their passion levels, it is the stadium design that just doesnt encourage as much passion as filbert st did. Anyhow, to solve the problem in a cheap way is not easy, i think a standing area is a good idea...well i guess if atmosphere does not improve we'll see leicester dwindling for a while until a "mandaric" kinda fellow appears with money to solve these troubles

Southampton have been having the same discussion. They came up with the bright idea of putting speakers in the other stands to relay the nise from their equivalent of our kop.

Tried it out pre-season, but it was abandoned after a big NO from the fans.

Morning OG, have you got your instrument ready for today ? A fully fledged member of Henry's Hornblowers :icon_bigg

Southampton have been having the same discussion. They came up with the bright idea of putting speakers in the other stands to relay the nise from their equivalent of our kop.

Tried it out pre-season, but it was abandoned after a big NO from the fans.

no............. we need to put fans in the stands.

The only way to do that is to put a dogs bollocks team on to the field.

When did you get back OG?

Morning OG, have you got your instrument ready for today ? A fully fledged member of Henry's Hornblowers :icon_bigg

oH SHIT........... OG is not blowing Henry's horn is he?

Now that would generate some noise down at the Walkers..... as in "FFS Feck off"

I would have my souzaphone and bongos with me, but unfortunately am prevented from attending by family commitments. Blow a big fart for me will you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00