Ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.
but the software makes your music easy to locate etc and can be used to build playlists-i doubt you can do that with drag and drop

plus if you really want you can drag and drop using itunes

itunes is free, its not spyware-whats the problem.

i wouldn't buy a ps3 game and expect to be able to play it on an xbox 360? .
No, but if you bought a CD you'd expect to be able to play it on any CD player of your choosing.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but myself, and many others, refuse to buy an iPod precisely because of this questionable business model.

Specious reasoning alert!

The issue is about buying a portable harddrive that can play music files and being able to mount that drive on your PC without being forced into using proprietary & unnecessary software.

It's quite simple really.

But if you wanted a portable harddrive for that reason why would you buy an iPod?

of course you would because a cd isn't affiliated with any make of cd player.

whereas an iPod is an Apple product which means you use Apple software with it.
So if I buy a Sony CD player, I can only play CDs from the Sony record label, or printed on Sony discs?

A sony cd player is completely different to a sony record label-and thats not the point anyway. The physical cd itself is not a sony product.

By your logic you'd be pissed of if your sony cd player broke and panasonic didn't want to fix it for you.

plus apple could chose to allow the iPod to be used in theory with any other software-but as its there product they can do what they want with it and by having their own software for it can get the best out of it.

but the software makes your music easy to locate etc and can be used to build playlists-i doubt you can do that with drag and drop

plus if you really want you can drag and drop using itunes

itunes is free, its not spyware-whats the problem.

Any decent media player can manage your music collection, build playlists & sync to your MP3 player so iTunes has given no advantage there.

The couple of times that I was forced to use it, to download some podcasts that I wanted from the iTunes store, I didn't like the interface at all I thought it was fairly shit.
If you do like it then great, I'm delighted for you, but I would prefer to continue to use my media player of choice and not the one that Apple has decided that I must use.

iTunes might be free but all of my main PCs are running Linux which means that I cannot use an iPod, end of story.

Last edited:
But if you wanted a portable harddrive for that reason why would you buy an iPod?

I'm just making the point that an iPod is essentially a portable harddrive that can play music files.

I love iPods!

Wow you were easily persuaded Mackstar!! :biggrin:

Can this thread not be closed or at least maybe merged with the 50 other iPod - Good or Evil Threads?

And whilst I'm here I may as well mention that Lee Martin has gone on loan to Shef Utd, not seen anyone mention that before!

Yes I think I have to agree with you Mackstar!! :biggrin:

Despite the fact that I've fallen victim to a not very functional fashion accessory, I can actually see that you are make a clear, concise & logical argument that remains unchallenged by counter-expostulation.

Well quite, but I think it's time we all moved on.

:icon_lol:

Sorry to start again though, but how is an iPod not very functional? :102:
WTF?!?!?!

Have you never tried to make a coffee with one, or turn the telly over with it?

:icon_lol:

Sorry to start again though, but how is an iPod not very functional? :102:

They're your words, not mine :icon_wink

But I'd have to agree, if you're not running Windows or own a Mac then they're not very functional at all.

They're your words, not mine :icon_wink

But I'd have to agree, if you're not running Windows or own a Mac then they're not very functional at all.

Absolutely. They are very poor as a substitute for an umbrella

So if I buy a Sony CD player, I can only play CDs from the Sony record label, or printed on Sony discs?

Them feckers at :068:Sony tried changing the rules regarding red book cd's, but that's another story!

Anyway, Sharepod is a free programme for removing*/borrowing* (delete as necessery) from your ipod onto a new computer.

Download this and itunes and you'll be fine. I really like itunes, but I do find it frustrating sometimes.

Last edited:
What could be easier than just dragging and dropping with the file manager software that you use all the time on your PC? No extra software to install and learn.

And if you want to synchronise stuff, windows media player does a good job of doing that. No need for itunes at all. As a media player I find it a bit clunky.

All you need to do is install iTunes, add songs to library, connect iPod via USB or Firewire, click 'yes' when pop-up box appears saying 'do you wish to sync your library with this iPod' or something similar, sit back and let iTunes put all your music in your library on your iPod.

What could be easier? :102:
your response

Dragging and dropping like most mp3 players will let you do.

im hardly jumping to conclusions-from that it seems to me your saying iTunes isn't as easy to use as the alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669