Ipswich 3 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how to clear a pitch of snow.....the German's lead the way again.

I think there are tried and tested British methods which should be considered.

article-1084563-0018F7B100000258-765_468x300.jpg

We all know that was a grass eating celebration, and nothing whatsoever to do with drugs of any description :018:

There was no hint of snow when we arrived in Ipswich, and there was no snow on the ground when the players were warming up for the game itself.

Sven got it wrong yesterday. Regardless of whether the game should or should not have gone ahead, it did. Our style does not suit those type of conditions, and if the hard wintry conditions are not going to go away, I just hope that Sven and the players have learnt their lessons.

In one breath you say there was no snow before the game, and then you say he got it wrong. He sent a team out to play in the conditions that were there pre match, difficult to predict such a rapid decline in the state of the pitch.

He tried to change things with the Howard sub but they scored again before we could get him on and by then it was too late.

Our players seemed to just be waiting for the whistle to say it was being called off from the first second of the game. That's where we went wrong.

In one breath you say there was no snow before the game, and then you say he got it wrong. He sent a team out to play in the conditions that were there pre match, difficult to predict such a rapid decline in the state of the pitch.

He tried to change things with the Howard sub but they scored again before we could get him on and by then it was too late.

Our players seemed to just be waiting for the whistle to say it was being called off from the first second of the game. That's where we went wrong.
Here we go again.....:icon_roll

I only raised the point that Chrysalis had made saying that Ipswich would have been practising in the snow, when they hadn't. Besides, it was forecast to start snowing around kick off; I'd been told this, and I can't believe I was the only person who was. If I was managing the side, I would have taken this into consideration when making my team selection.

As for the state of the pitch, it was already frozen. To counter Chrysalis' assertion that Ipswich had an advantage, our training pitch was likely to have been frozen. In any case, it was not going to be conducive to our current style of play, another factor I would have taken into consideration.

I do agree with your last point; it did appear to be one of the factors that led to defeat.

As for the state of the pitch, it was already frozen.

Alan Ferguson says Saturday's game against Leicester was probably half a degree away from not taking place.

Town's head groundsman and his staff received plaudits from all after maintaining his record of never having a first-team game called off under his stewardship.

Why Chelsea and Arsenal were beaten by the weather, Portman Road survived 90 minutes of snow as Blues ran out 3-0 winners against the Foxes to end a run of six successive League defeats.

"It was very, very close and there were times when I thought we might not make it," Fergie told the Club website.

" We were half a degree above freezing in the soil at kick-off, that's the margin we are talking about.

"If it was at zero then the pitch hardens up and maybe we wouldn't have played. It was that close.

"When it snowed it actually helped to thaw the top of the pitch out. The players got a better grip after the first fall of snow but it was still a brave decision by the referee to get through the game."

He's bound to say something along those lines. He's not going to say:

Well, we had a look, and knew it was unplayable, but the chairman said that we needed the money from televising this game, so we hoped that nobody would notice.

On top of that, Sky were desperate to put something on, seeing as no other bugger was going to risk injury to their players or supporters this weekend. The production team even offered us the use of Andy Gray to try and defrost the pitch.

I only saw this on TV, so would like to hear from those of you who were at the game on this one. Against a white background, both on the ground and in the air, I could not tell the difference between the Ipswich players in dark blue and the city players in black. That would certainly explain why we were completely unable to string a pass or two together.

Was it that bad in reality? (after all, the camera certainly can lie) If so, we need to make sure some yellow shirts are freshly laundered for the next month or so!

I only saw this on TV, so would like to hear from those of you who were at the game on this one. Against a white background, both on the ground and in the air, I could not tell the difference between the Ipswich players in dark blue and the city players in black. That would certainly explain why we were completely unable to string a pass or two together.

Was it that bad in reality? (after all, the camera certainly can lie) If so, we need to make sure some yellow shirts are freshly laundered for the next month or so!

Interesting move, using the Alex Ferguson defence.

I wish all of you scrabbling around for an excuse would just tip your Queen over and admit defeat graciously.

I wish all of you scrabbling around for an excuse would just tip your Queen over and admit defeat graciously.

It wasn't football, it shouldn't have gone ahead but so what. If watching shit like that is the future of football I'm giving it up. People who say it is a magnificent throw back from their armchair really don't get it, if I wanted to watch that I'd be a regular at Sunday league matches. No excuses for the loss, it just wasn't football.

I think that is an excuse for the loss, but it's okay anyway. It's a good excuse. I'm still disappointed that we didn't even come close to adapting and the attitude seems to be 'why should we?'

I get the impression that most of the armchair pundits are of the opinion that this isn't the future of football, it's the past. I think the problem for City is that if you apply our reaction to this loss - namely, 'well, it's perfectly understandable that we lost, those were exceptional circumstances' - to the rest of the season, then we'll be making excuses in advance for losing a lot of games.

For instance, going down to ten men counts as an exceptional circumstance, so does getting a substandard referee, hitting the post five times, having half a dozen men out injured (or even just Andy King) etc. You need to overcome this sort of situation at this level. Look at what happened with injuries and suspensions in 93-94 and with administration in 02-03.

Thank you.

I was beginning to believe I was the only one welcoming common sense returning to football.

Next we'll see games played in fog and players being allowed to tackle - a welcome return to the 70s. :icon_bigg

Yeah, weren't the past great? Disco, Vietnam, etc etc etc....ahh the good old days when Billy Bremner could kick lumps out of anyone trying to play football.

What a load of old tits.

Yeah, weren't the past great? Disco, Vietnam, etc etc etc....ahh the good old days when Billy Bremner could kick lumps out of anyone trying to play football.

What a load of old tits.

I think the past suited Leicester better than the present.

He's bound to say something along those lines. He's not going to say:

Whatever the motives were for Ipswich wanting the match to go ahead are not a matter for the groundsman. The fact that it was played means that Ipswich can be pleased with their groundstaff.

I don't know what the financial situation at Ipswich is but I was surprised they have not got under soil heating.

It wasn't football, it shouldn't have gone ahead but so what. If watching shit like that is the future of football I'm giving it up. People who say it is a magnificent throw back from their armchair really don't get it, if I wanted to watch that I'd be a regular at Sunday league matches. No excuses for the loss, it just wasn't football.

The only thing I don't get here is where your sense of humour has vanished to. :102:

You mean king, right?

What a load of old tits.
Remember the days when you could kill the goalie and push him over the line, and the goal would still count? They get too much protection these days.
The only thing I don't get here is where your sense of humour has vanished to. :102:
Well... it wasn't football, was it? Football is played on grass. It doesn't excuse our players' pathetic performance, but it was not football.

if it had been 0 0 he'd have called it

I agree, which leaves the blame with an incompetent referee and the players. They allowed themselves to be 3-0 down giving an incompetent referee pressure to keep the game going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669