January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with what others have said, as far as I can see Fryatt is by far and away our stand out player this season.

Not only does he have over double anyone else's goal tally, he also tops our assist charts too.

I've yet to see him go missing for 3-4 games this season. Even when he doesn't score/assist, he nearly always works hard and chases everything etc.

Cannot for the life of me understand why there are still people on his back.

Last edited:
Agree with what others have said, as far as I can see Fryatt is by far and away our stand out player this season.

Not only does he have over double anyone else's goal tally, he also tops our assist charts too.

I've yet to see him go missing for 3-4 games this season. Even when he doesn't score/assist, he nearly always works hard and chases everything etc.

Totally agree with that post despite my statements about swapping him for waggy + cash. Fryatts game is so much more then scoring goals.

Me neither PR including that guy Skitzo on FF who seemed to be having a go at him but defending Neilson:icon_eek:

Me neither PR including that guy Skitzo on FF who seemed to be having a go at him but defending Neilson:icon_eek:

Skitzo on FF seems to have it in personally for Fryatt. Worse still though he actually wished Oakley's legs get broken so he didn't have to play for us. :icon_eek:

Well i just think that a lot of Prem clubs are probally put off by Fryatt because he has no Prem experience. I think thats whats holding most of them back.

Fryatt does work hard, but he can go missing. Like recently he didnt score for 7 matches and was dropped. Hes a quality player im not taking any of that away from him but he is guilty of being inconsistant at times, which is maybe the reason no firm offers have been received.

I think he went missing for 46 games in our relegation season, although to be fair he was very young and still learning back then.

Strikers thrive on confidence. One of Martin Allen's first actions was to make it clear that DJ Campbell was his first choice striker and that Matty Fryatt was unwanted. There were rumours that he was going to Wolves. In the ultimate piece of bad management Fryatt was put to train "with the kids".

I cannot remember whether Gary Megson was a Fryatt or a Campbell man. Ian Holloway took too long to discard some of the Martin Allen buys and seemed unsure whether Campbell or Fryatt was the better.

When Martin Allen left there was a chance for Fryatt to shine but he did not. My impression was that he suffered from the worst attitude a striker can have - he was desperate to score. (Ade Akinbiyi was the prime example of this). Great goalscorers are never desperate. Perhaps the greatest goalscorer was Di Stefano who took it as being his divine right to put the ball in the net. In the same period Nat Lofthouse believed he had the right to put not only the ball in the net but any goalkeeper brave enough to be holding it. In my time as a Leicester supporter the best strikers have been Worthington and Lineker - Frankie "just knew" he was better than any defender and Gary though not as obviously arrogant seemed to take it for granted that a chance would eventually come and he would score from it.

Obviously Matty is not in the class of the players I have mentioned but one of Nigel's strengths was to choose quickly between him and DJ. There is though still just an element of desperation in Matty's play. He seems to me more likely to score if the chance is instant. I am less confident in him if he has the chance to think about it.

Teams like Wigan and Wolves are not going to be able to sign a Rooney or a Drogba. Remembering that one goal can be the difference between survival and relegation it would be well worth them gambling £3 million or even £5 million on Matty.

Leicester's greatest asset is not Fryatt or Wellens or even my favourite when fit Tunchev. It is Nigel Pearson. If Milan wants my advice (which he has been too proud to ask for up till now) it would be to let Nigel Pearson make the decision: the money or Matty. If things go wrong the manager pays the price so the manager should as far as possible make the decision.

Strikers thrive on confidence. One of Martin Allen's first actions was to make it clear that DJ Campbell was his first choice striker and that Matty Fryatt was unwanted. There were rumours that he was going to Wolves. In the ultimate piece of bad management Fryatt was put to train "with the kids".

I cannot remember whether Gary Megson was a Fryatt or a Campbell man. Ian Holloway took too long to discard some of the Martin Allen buys and seemed unsure whether Campbell or Fryatt was the better.

When Martin Allen left there was a chance for Fryatt to shine but he did not. My impression was that he suffered from the worst attitude a striker can have - he was desperate to score. (Ade Akinbiyi was the prime example of this). Great goalscorers are never desperate. Perhaps the greatest goalscorer was Di Stefano who took it as being his divine right to put the ball in the net. In the same period Nat Lofthouse believed he had the right to put not only the ball in the net but any goalkeeper brave enough to be holding it. In my time as a Leicester supporter the best strikers have been Worthington and Lineker - Frankie "just knew" he was better than any defender and Gary though not as obviously arrogant seemed to take it for granted that a chance would eventually come and he would score from it.

Obviously Matty is not in the class of the players I have mentioned but one of Nigel's strengths was to choose quickly between him and DJ. There is though still just an element of desperation in Matty's play. He seems to me more likely to score if the chance is instant. I am less confident in him if he has the chance to think about it.
Teams like Wigan and Wolves are not going to be able to sign a Rooney or a Drogba. Remembering that one goal can be the difference between survival and relegation it would be well worth them gambling £3 million or even £5 million on Matty.

Leicester's greatest asset is not Fryatt or Wellens or even my favourite when fit Tunchev. It is Nigel Pearson. If Milan wants my advice (which he has been too proud to ask for up till now) it would be to let Nigel Pearson make the decision: the money or Matty. If things go wrong the manager pays the price so the manager should as far as possible make the decision.

Very good asumption and i agree completely with the bit about instant chance. :038:

Lineker was also still a second division player scraping 20 goals a season at Fryatt's age.

He broke into the Leicester squad at exactly the same age as Fryatt last season (22) also down to a relegation.

Not saying Fryatt is at, or will ever be at the level Lineker reached, but it shows how dramatically strikers can improve at this age, just down to dropping down and getting an extended chance.

Last edited:

Completely agree... and the bit in bold is why I'd like us to find a more natural goal scoring partner for him than Howard. Would like to see him given more of a run with Waghorn, or even Gallagher (or sign a more predatory striker if we can)... think Fryatt creates enough on his own, and holds the ball up fantastically well for a little guy especially (noticed several times on the Sky game the other day, that long balls were often actually going to him and his control was fantastic), that I feel his play at the moment kind of negates the need for Howard... get a striker who can score goals playing with Fryatt, and we could be flying (even higher!)

Last edited:
Very good asumption and i agree completely with the bit about instant chance. :038:

I disagree completely. Would that include the instant chances against Real Valladollid (H), QPR (A), Watford (A), Blackpool (H), Barnsley (H), Macclesfield (A) and all the penalties that he has taken and scored? I think if you looked back at the goals scored in these games, then you'll notice he had a fair bit of time to think about most of his goals this season. For me he is technically a real quality player and this is reflected in the way that he can create and score goals, with thought and precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00