January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes the type of striker we need but we have no chance of getting him (when a player hands in a request it is normally an almost done deal, ie if press are correct Newcastle)
it would be nice to get a couple of players in to keep the boys on their toes!

I disagree completely. Would that include the instant chances against Real Valladollid (H), QPR (A), Watford (A), Blackpool (H), Barnsley (H), Macclesfield (A) and all the penalties that he has taken and scored? I think if you looked back at the goals scored in these games, then you'll notice he had a fair bit of time to think about most of his goals this season. For me he is technically a real quality player and this is reflected in the way that he can create and score goals, with thought and precision.

Matty's penalties are interesting. He is a good penalty taker partly because he is that underated thing - a good kicker of the ball. I imagine that like most penalty takers he knows what he is going to do with any hypothetical penalty before he goes on the pitch. That is why the penalty against Oldham was so fascinating. The Oldham goalkeeper was sent off and there was a delay when Dean Windass took over the jersey. Windass then found reasons to delay and delay in a wonderful display of professionalism. By the time Matty took the penalty he had been given far too much time to think and it was most untypically weak.
Luckily the penalty miss did not cost us in the long run and I remember thinking that I hope Dean Windass has furthered Matty's football education.

Getting inside penalty takers heads is not just for our opponents. The best case I ever saw was Tim Flowers playing for Leicester Reserves who seemed to reduce the young penalty taker to a bag of nerves and a complete mishit.

he suffered from the worst attitude a striker can have - he was desperate to score.

I agree, it's far worse for a striker to be desperate to score than for a striker to be desperate not to score.
That's why Lineker was so good, he was desperate not to score and tried really hard to miss, but he was so crap at it he kept scoring.

Being a good kicker of a ball seems to have become rarer as football has got faster. The wonderful exception in the modern game is David Beckham and before him Glen Hoddle.

How can you forget about Stef Oakes

Last edited:
Or Joey?

I wish someone would close the window. It's bloody freezing in here.

I'm not suggesting that Alan Sheehan should close the window, by the way. Although he might as well, he's not of any other fecking use.

Newcastle is a career killer ! , id rather see him at a team like Wigan or Bolton.

If he doesn't play for us then I have no interest at all in where he goes or indeed how his career pans out.

I dunno. First wishing son of Fergy well now this. What is this place coming to :102:

Matty's penalties are interesting. He is a good penalty taker partly because he is that underated thing - a good kicker of the ball. I imagine that like most penalty takers he knows what he is going to do with any hypothetical penalty before he goes on the pitch. That is why the penalty against Oldham was so fascinating. The Oldham goalkeeper was sent off and there was a delay when Dean Windass took over the jersey. Windass then found reasons to delay and delay in a wonderful display of professionalism. By the time Matty took the penalty he had been given far too much time to think and it was most untypically weak.
Luckily the penalty miss did not cost us in the long run and I remember thinking that I hope Dean Windass has furthered Matty's football education.

Getting inside penalty takers heads is not just for our opponents. The best case I ever saw was Tim Flowers playing for Leicester Reserves who seemed to reduce the young penalty taker to a bag of nerves and a complete mishit.

Gamesmanship.

If he doesn't play for us then I have no interest at all in where he goes or indeed how his career pans out.

I dunno. First wishing son of Fergy well now this. What is this place coming to :102:

Liking Joey Barton because he tries to cripple people?

I'm not suggesting that Alan Sheehan should close the window, by the way. Although he might as well, he's not of any other fecking use.

Saw him play for Swindon last week. Apart from looking a bit odd as a bearded midget in a team of hulks, he had a very good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00