Jermaine Beckford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common mistake by football fans. A cross is only decent if it actually finds a player. If not, it's as wasteful as Wellens trying a flick in the middle of the pitch and giving the ball away (for the opposition to score).

I disagree. It is the lob of the crosser to put the ball in a dangerous attacking position. If they put it to where Beckford is sometimes, they will be kicking it backwards. If they keep putting it into the right place - too far in front of the goalie, but behind the centre backs, then at least one of the forwards and/or supporting midfield should be there. If they are not there the first time, then it is the job of the captain and/or manager to yell at them to make sure they are there the next time.

Common mistake by football fans. A cross is only decent if it actually finds a player. If not, it's as wasteful as Wellens trying a flick in the middle of the pitch and giving the ball away (for the opposition to score).

Aye, Konch should just wait for a minute whilst JB takes his time getting into a dangerous position.

Aye, Konch should just wait for a minute whilst JB takes his time getting into a dangerous position.

By the time JB gets there the position is no longer dangerous as they have had time to park the bus as well.

Hazz and DD have already mentioned the similarity to "the DJ Campbell situation. To lose one striker in this fashion may be regarded as a misfortune; the possibility that we might lose another looks like ****ing stupidity.

Iz it cuz he's bl............ Er, just asking like.

Iz it cuz he's bl............ Er, just asking like.

Thought I'd better answer my own post before someone gets the wrong end of the stick!

In my opinion it's because he is crap but I know that there are one or two on here that would happily jump to the opinion that it is to do with his colour.

Last edited:
Thought I'd better answer my own post before someone gets the wrong end of the stick!

In my opinion it's because he is crap but I know that there are one or two on here that would happily jump to the opinion that it is to do with his colour.

I'd like to be able to agree with you without a moment of hesitation - and I am sure that what you say is so for the vast majority of fans. I do worry though that a few of us had made up our minds after 45 minutes; what was it that made them do so in such a short time.

And it does seem to me that, going back to the chicken and the egg, the player has made up his mind on the fans based on the early interaction. The situation already seems intractable. Before I dismiss the idea that any of our fans could ever be guilty of judging a player by the colour of their skin, I recall the group that used to sit behind me in the Kop who always referred to Ryan McGivern as "the ****ing albino".

Last edited:
But its got to be more than the colour of his skin, other black players current and past have not really encountered the same problem. He came with a reputation and it seems somehave judged him on that and its polarised because has been poor for most of his game time? I don't think he respnds well to the critisism (the stick) perhaps the alternative would help?

You don't score goals for putting a cross in regardless of whether it goes across the six yard box or before the defenders have time to settle. You score goals making sure someone is on the end of them.

Another idiot who thinks Konch should be able to the job of 2 players, get real.

He completely sold himself for the first goal...one of the first rules of defending, stay on your feet. The second goal he was in no mans' land, marking space and completely cocked up a simple interception (though he had no back-up from Vassell at the time).

You don't score goals for putting a cross in regardless of whether it goes across the six yard box or before the defenders have time to settle. You score goals making sure someone is on the end of them.

I never said otherwise. However, seeing as Koncheski Is both defending and attacking and everything in between, It's difficult for him to **** around with the ball and wait for one of our extremely slow to react strikers to get into the area. Beckford has no desire to score goals, otherwise he would be making more dangerous runs and getting into position a lot earlier.

I never said otherwise. However, seeing as Koncheski Is both defending and attacking and everything in between, It's difficult for him to **** around with the ball and wait for one of our extremely slow to react strikers to get into the area. Beckford has no desire to score goals, otherwise he would be making more dangerous runs and getting into position a lot earlier.

I haven't even mentioned Konchesky, Dyer or Beckford. I just made a point about aimless crosses into a box.

The whole farce regarding Beckford was that he was clearly signed without any regard of how he would actually fit within the team.

Crosses into a dangerous area aren't aimless. A good striker should know the kind of runs he should be making to get on to the end of that kind of ball.

Exactly what I said. Plus the possible bonus that a defender under pressure from an advancing forward might panic and gift us an own goal or corner. And if the goalie is stretching forwards he might fumble it and present us with a tap-in opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669