John Sjoberg R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonfox

0,,10274%7E4071116,00.jpg

Obituary

Posted on: Fri 03 Oct 2008
Everyone connected with Leicester City would like to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends of former player John Sjoberg, who sadly lost his battle against illness last night, aged 67.

Sjoberg, who made his Foxes debut against Cardiff City in October 1960, began life at Filbert Street as a right-back and was part of the 1963 Cup run which culminated with a Wembley appearance against Manchester United.

He was a stalwart of the League Cup campaigns of the next two years and scored the decisive semi-final goal at Home Park in 1965.

Barring an unluckily unusual performance at West Brom in April 1966, when he became the only City player ever to score two own goals in one game, Sjoberg then settled into a memorable central defensive partnership with Graham Cross.

This quality tempted Matt Gillies into giving him one spell as a centre-forward during 1967/8!

An injury forced him to miss the 1969 FA Cup Final against Manchester City but two years later he was a key member of the Second Division Championship side and took his testimonial game against Derby after the title had been secured, attracting a best ever Filbert Street crowd for such an even of around 24,000.

Sjoberg started a printing business, Beaumanor Press in Bath Lane, during his latter days at Leicester and was able to return to this when he finally hung up his boots, having made 413 appearances for City and scored 19 goals.

He remained in that industry for around 30 years eventually selling the company about six years ago, opting for a spot of gardening and walking instead.

John Sjoberg and his wife with Tom Sweenie at the Walkers for the game against Bolton early in 2004.

sjoberg.JPG

Thanks for everything John. R.I.P. :icon_sad:

Picture of John Sjoberg in a match against Huddersfield in 1971. No points for identifying the player alongside him.

john_sjoberg_1971.jpg

Not taking the piss here but what color arm band will the players wear on saturday when we play in black, would white be right ???

It depends on whether they are going to just wear a black armband simply as a mark of respect, or whether they just want everybody to see that they are obviously wearing an armband and make sure it's a contrasting colour purely for show.

But, to answer your question, no, white wouldn't be right.

Last edited:
Sad news, I remember him well, he couldn't half head a ball, and back then it was leather, none of your mamby pamby plastic coated balls of today. I would assume that the City's respects will be held over to the next home game, black armbands for the players, and a minutes applause from the crowd, he certainly deserves nothing less.

Thanks for all the things he did for the club during his playing days and afterwards, very sad.

I had heard that John was ill only last Saturday at the Hartlepool match, John was a business colleague and we had many a chat about his career and many a joke over recent seasons when I had asked him even with his dodgy knees if he could play any better than than some of the players who pulled on the City Blue, John was a friend, God Bless John, condolenses to his family. RIP

He was a real hero. Tough as old boots, turn of speed, uncanny sense of positioning. I sort of assumed at the time that all centre halves were like that.

Thanks for the memories John.

Unfortunately not old enough to see the guy but my dad and grandad used to tell me that he was a good player. Sad day.

I think we should celebrate what a great city legend and person he was. I would really like to read peoples comments, if they have any memories of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566