Kilmarnock v Leicester Post Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Oh dear. From the OS. ;)

Kilmarnock 1-0 Leicester City
Posted on: Sat 28 Jul 2007

Leicester City suffered their first defeat of the pre-season campaign when they went down 1-0 to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Saturday.

New signing DJ Campbell made his first start in a Foxes shirt on the day, while recent captures Jimmy Nielsen, James Chambers, Stephen Clemence, Shaun Newton and Radostin Kishishev were also included in the starting XI.

Killie took the lead with just 50 seconds on the clock - Gary Wales slotting home past Jimmy Nielsen in the City goal.

Leicester's first real effort on goal came in the 15th minute. Campbell threaded a neat ball into the path of Iain Hume, but his shot from the edge of the area fell wide of the target.

Allan Johnston made room for a shot on the edge of the City penalty area with 23 minutes on the clock, but Richard Stearman was on hand to make a strong block.

James Chambers came close 10 minutes later, but his cross-cum-shot fell just wide of Combe's left-hand upright.

Allen made two changes with 51 minutes on the click - James Wesolowski and Alan Sheehan replacing Shaun Newton and Richard Stearman. Chambers switched to right-back following the substitutions, with Wesolowski taking up the right-wing slot.

The City boss made two further changes on the hour mark - Mark de Vries and Matty Fryatt coming on for Campbell and Sheehan.

N'Gotty rose highest in the Kille penalty area to meet a Kishishev corner in the 78th minutes, but his glancing header fell wide of the target.

Eric Odhimabo, who had scored in City's 2-0 midweek friendly victory over Partick Thistle, replaced Hume with seven minutes of the game remaining.

Clemnece burst through the Kille defencer on 84 minutes, but his shot from 12 yards failed to trouble Combe.

The Foxes piled on the preasure in the closing stages, but would fail to make the breakthrough.

City are now due to face Cheltenham Town on Tuesday evening.

City: Nielsen, Stearman (Sheehan 51 (Fryatt 60)), Chambers, N'Gotty, McAuley, Clemence, Newton (Wesolowski 51), Kishishev, Hume (Odhiambo 83), Campbell (de Vries 60), Mattock.
Subs not used: Henderson, Hellings.

Yellow: Sheehan 55

Killie: Combe, Fowler, Hay, Lilley, Wright, Ford, Sylla, Johnston, Nish, Wales, Gibson.
Subs: Murray, Harqur, Fernandez, O'Leary, Koudou, Hamill, Bryson.

Att: 2,455

Gaffer talks :icon_roll ! From the OS. ;)

Gaffer Talks
Posted on: Sat 28 Jul 2007

Good afternoon,

Today's game was a good workout. It was definitely a step up in quality of opposition.

It was disappointing to concede a goal like that in the first minute. It was a shocking goal to give away. There was a total lack of concentration. The reaction to the free kick being given was 'ah well' instead of getting back and getting in position. But I suppose it is better for that sort of stuff to happen today.

I didn't enjoy watching the first half today. But in the second half we played with much more energy and much more tempo. That was more like it.

Some players have come out of the game with a lot of credit, while some will be disappointed to end their trip with that performance.

We are always learning. It doesn't matter at the minute if we are winning or losing, the important thing is to learn. The opposition didn't have one shot in the second half, and that is without us even playing that well against quite a decent Scottish Premier League team.

We have had a long, tiring week. We have been training three times a day and they have been long days. The players have had to work hard right throughout the week.

But the important thing is the organisation and the preparation for a couple of week's time. We will learn from bits and pieces that happened out there today.

If I am honest I thought at times we looked tired. We didn't play with our normal urgency and tenacity. I suppose after the week that they have had they could put that as an excuse, or you could say that they are just the facts.

It has been a good week in Scotland and we have had a good time up here together. I have learnt an awful lot about the players while we have been away. I have got to know them all a lot better and I have enjoyed their company off the field.

Overall I think the trip abroad to Scotland has been very good for our club.

Best wishes,

Martin

Why train 3 times a day then say the players are tired. IMO that means they are not fit enough yet. Train the cnuts 4 times a day then

Why train 3 times a day then say the players are tired. IMO that means they are not fit enough yet. Train the cnuts 4 times a day then

4 slots of 6 hour training sessions should see them right

MA appeared a bit withdrawn in that statement, he is normally very upbeat. I think he is beginning to realise what pressure he is under.

Some interesting friendly scores today.

Stockport 6-4 Cardiff
Wingate And Finchley 2-3 Watford
Kendal Town 2-3 Everton
Falkirk 2-1 Ajax
Hibernian 1-0 Middlebrough
Mansfield 2-0 Derby
Port Vale 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Rangers 2-0 Chelsea

Lost 1-0 absolutely dreaful, no shape at all. DJ played a full game but didnt impress one bit, mix up at the back lead to there goal after about 30 seconds from the start, Clemence was poor, Kishishev got stuck in, so did Mattock at times, the only one who did play ok was Hume. De Vries crap as usual. Bruno also had an alright game.

Will post some pics and vids up that i took when i get a chance, you may not want to see them though after that!

Lost 1-0 absolutely dreaful, no shape at all. DJ played a full game but didnt impress one bit, mix up at the back lead to there goal after about 30 seconds from the start, Clemence was poor, Kishishev got stuck in, so did Mattock at times, the only one who did play ok was Hume. De Vries crap as usual. Bruno also had an alright game.

The result dosent matter, but the performance sounds as though it was lacking. I personally hate pre season games, but days like this will prove more purposeful to MA than you think. Beating the dog and duck 20-0 proves nothing, and with respect to Kilmarnock they are a step up from what we have played so far. This team with its new players are not going to be pulling up trees from day one, because they hardly know each other. I expect the early weeks of the season could well be disappointing in terms of results, and for once the fans dont really have any other options than to show patience. If they think we are going to click from day 1 of the season then they are more stupid than i thought.

All I can say is good.

I hope we had the shocker to end all shockers! That way no bugger will be allowed to rest on their laurels and the powers that be will fully understand the gravity of what needs to be done to get where we want to go. Winning every warm up game against poorer opposition (as we did last season) can seriously mask problems. I'd sooner we knew our weaknesses now.

I also don't think you probably saw a wholehearted performance. No one will want to go into the season injured. Look at Weso agianst Celtic. That is a cautionary tale about going into things like a mentalist in a friendly. He perhaps should never have gone into that challenge with the wreckless tw@t Balde.

Roll on the start of the season. These things annoy me.

Last edited:
Brauny Blue said:
I expect the early weeks of the season could well be disappointing in terms of results, and for once the fans dont really have any other options than to show patience. If they think we are going to click from day 1 of the season then they are more stupid than i thought.

I admire your optimistic view of people's intelligence. Last time I saw the 'where will we finish' poll 1st was the most popular prediction. If we don't hit the ground running it could be a bumpy ride...

And I'm an insomniac again. Oh well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673