Kindle Fire HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've ordered this;
NATPC M010S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.0...
71XW0n7DqUL._AA1500_.jpg
Now we're looking at this;
Blagged! £1 Sim to get 'free mobile broadband'

It's possible to get free mobile data in exchange for watching ads with new service Samba Mobile*. It's ideal for those who want to occasionally check emails, Facebook, Twitter and do a bit of general surfing.

How does it work? You pay a one-off cost for a Sim card or dongle, then earn data credit by watching ads. Every ad you watch is worth 3.5MB of data, though ads vary in length (we found some as short as 15 seconds, while others were over 10 minutes).

Samba says watching 2.5mins of ads per day will earn you enough data to cover the average consumer's monthly broadband consumption of 517MB/month.

Code gets £5 Sim for £1. Sim cards (including micro-Sims) cost £5 or dongles (needed for laptops) are £25. But we've blagged MoneySavers a special deal for the Sims. Use the code MSE1 during the payment process and get a Sim card for £1 (£4 off the standard cost). Delivery's included, but Samba suggests you get it delivered to a home address rather than work. The offer runs from 12.01am on Wed 14 Nov to 11.59pm Tue 20 Nov.

How good is coverage? The service uses Three's mobile network, which claims to cover pretty much the whole of the UK (97%). Use the Three Mobile coverage checker first to check it's available in your area, or try using a free Sim or a friend's Sim in the areas you'll use the web.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband
Will this work with an Android tablet? Has anyone got any experience with these?

We've ordered this;
NATPC M010S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.0...

I had a similar one, but with more memory. I thought it was OK for the money but I wouldn't go back to one like that since I've got my Blackberry Playbook, it's miles better in almost every area (speed, build quality, screen, sound quality, battery life, memory etc).
The included version of Android wasn't great but there was an unofficial update available that improved things a lot. It was quite a painful process to install though.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband
Will this work with an Android tablet? Has anyone got any experience with these?

Are you expecting to plug it into the tablet? I don't think the model above has a sim socket. Most Android tablets don't. It will probably work with a broadband dongle.

I've got one of these sims: http://ovivomobile.com/
You get free monthly internet, minutes and texts, you get occasional ads while you're browsing the web but they're easy to skip. I'd rather do that than have to watch a load of ads in advance to earn credit.

Where did you get it from The Major as a colleague was asking me about a budget tablet for a Christmas present and I said that these seem to get some of the better reviews for sub £100 tablets but my colleague said she couldn't find it on Amazon?

Should be able to use a USB 3G dongle with that but if you're not planning on using it much outside the house, just stick with WiFi.

Last edited:
Where did you get it from The Major as a colleague was asking me about a budget tablet for a Christmas present and I said that these seem to get some of the better reviews for sub £100 tablets but my colleague said she couldn't find it on Amazon?

Should be able to use a USB 3G dongle with that but if you're not planning on using it much outside the house, just stick with WiFi.
I've ordered it from Amazon although it doesn't seem to be on there now. It was £70 (the blackberry was a bit too much) with the postage, I think it's coming from Hong Kong.
I've got one of these sims: http://ovivomobile.com/
You get free monthly internet, minutes and texts, you get occasional ads while you're browsing the web but they're easy to skip. I'd rather do that than have to watch a load of ads in advance to earn credit.
Do you have to pay so much a month for phone calls for that?

Thanks but no worries, I may point her to eBay then as they do get good reviews for a budget tablet.

Quick look on Ovivo page here looks like you get 500MB for free and you can pay for more if needed but that was just after a quick scan so Jeff can probably clear things up more.

Do you just use it in a tablet Jeff or mobile phone aswell/instead?

Also, how do the adds exactly work, you mentioned they pop-up but they say they are not intrusive with them?

Never heard of them before but seems like an alright-ish idea for an occasional outdoor use tablet as tethering from a mobile rapes 2 batteries at once!

No, it's completely free once you buy the sim (£10 - it was £5 when I got mine).
There's also a mobile broadband version that gives you 500MB free a month.
So let me get this straight. If I pay £10, as long as I don't go over my allowance for the month I don't have to pay again?

Do you just use it in a tablet Jeff or mobile phone aswell/instead?

I keep it in my spare mobile, so I don't use it that often.

For mobile broadband I bought a 3 sim from eBay that gives me 1GB a month for 12 months. That cost me something like £20.
I've also got an Orange sim from eBay that cost 99p and gives me 250MB of internet a month for a year. It also came with £5 credit. They're still available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-SIM..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item35c1422bd9
There are always loads of good deals like that on eBay, much better than paying the networks' going rates.

Also, how do the adds exactly work, you mentioned they pop-up but they say they are not intrusive with them?

I didn't say they "pop-up".

When you're using the browser you will occasionally get a page of ads instead of the page you requested. There's a link at the bottom of the ads to the page you wanted. There's no delay on this so you can just immediately click through to your page and ignore the ads.

This may have changed since I last used it though, their website used to explain how the ads work but they now seem to be very vague about it.

I keep it in my spare mobile, so I don't use it that often.

For mobile broadband I bought a 3 sim from eBay that gives me 1GB a month for 12 months. That cost me something like £20.
I've also got an Orange sim from eBay that cost 99p and gives me 250MB of internet a month for a year. It also came with £5 credit. They're still available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-SIM..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item35c1422bd9
There are always loads of good deals like that on eBay, much better than paying the networks' going rates.

I didn't say they "pop-up".

When you're using the browser you will occasionally get a page of ads instead of the page you requested. There's a link at the bottom of the ads to the page you wanted. There's no delay on this so you can just immediately click through to your page and ignore the ads.

This may have changed since I last used it though, their website used to explain how the ads work but they now seem to be very vague about it.

Sorry, my bad, it just sounded pop-up like how you worded it and does seem quite pop-up like though pretty good if it is just when browsing the internet via a browser? If so, I'm guessing if you were just using apps that use data, Sky Sports Score Centre for example, you wouldn't get the ads then?

Did seem quite vague on their site hence why I asked but nice one for the heads up on the cheapo sims as they sound a much better option to whack in a tab. I didn't want to be paying a monthly fee for something used very infrequently but wouldn't mind spending a little as occasional use would be handy and 99p option sounds perfect.

This arrived a couple of days ago, the screen has frozen a couple of times. Still not sure if it's any good or not.

Just ordered the Kindle fire for the wife.

it looks absolutely shit. If it cost more than a tender you've been ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669