Last DVD you bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a keen musician and if I put a record out I would not want people stealing my work when I have worked hard and put out my own money to get it developed
I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you.

Just arrived - Prison Break , complete 1st series :icon_lol:

If you get a torrent you watch it and you don't like it you have still seen that developer's film and it has cost them money to make it. They have development costs and overheads to look at and make these back through people paying to go to watch their film at the cinema or buy it on a dvd/video etc

So for instance by not paying to watch it at the cinema you are costing them a few pounds - it might not seem like much, but when there are lots of people doing this the sum that they are losing out on soon builds up. i.e. you might well show your torrent to a friend so that they see the film for free as well, they might show it to a few other friends etc.

I am a keen musician and if I put a record out I would not want people stealing my work when I have worked hard and put out my own money to get it developed

No matter which way you spin it, you are a thief.

I used to play in a band, and i certiantly would want people to fileshare our music. After all, it's this way how bands nowadays get heard of, and if theyre good enough they get money from ticket sales, or people start realising how good they are and do buy their CDs, filesharing has caused a lot more music that would be previously unheard get heard.

And as for the developing cost i am not stealing a few pounds off them, becuase i would have never watched the movie anyway, i understand it has cost them money to make it, but i would not have paid the developer anyway if i had not watched the torrent. It's not as simple as if you don't pay the developer for watching a movie it's stealing, as by that logic buying DVDs second hand off amazon marketplace for example would also be stealing, as no money goes to the developer that way.

Don't worry about the "holier than thou" portion of the posters Profondo. If you are happy with what you do that's enough. I am far worse than you and have no regrets. I think it's pretty poor that some posters throw around insults such as "thief" which I'm surprised hasn't been sensored and the said posters given an infraction.

I'm sure that these people are angels and do nothing that would be seen as wrong by anyone in society. They probably have their seats booked in heaven already.

I used to play in a band, and i certiantly would want people to fileshare our music. After all, it's this way how bands nowadays get heard of, and if theyre good enough they get money from ticket sales, or people start realising how good they are and do buy their CDs, filesharing has caused a lot more music that would be previously unheard get heard.

And as for the developing cost i am not stealing a few pounds off them, becuase i would have never watched the movie anyway, i understand it has cost them money to make it, but i would not have paid the developer anyway if i had not watched the torrent. It's not as simple as if you don't pay the developer for watching a movie it's stealing, as by that logic buying DVDs second hand off amazon marketplace for example would also be stealing, as no money goes to the developer that way.

But buying used goods is legal and the company has made their money off the sale of the dvd originally anyway whereas if you steal it from the internet - they have made nothing. Filesharing is a good way of getting your name about if you are in music but there are legal ways of sharing music files, and downloading mp3s whereby the artists still get their royalties from the sales of their music.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it if I were you.

it doesn't really worry me, it just seems retarded for someone to try and argue that there is nothing wrong with using torrents and such like.

it doesn't really worry me, it just seems retarded for someone to try and argue that there is nothing wrong with using torrents and such like.

seems millions of people disagree with you. btw no-one is stealing anything "from the internet".

seems millions of people disagree with you. btw no-one is stealing anything "from the internet".

whatare you on about? Whether people will disagree with me or not means bugger all.. torrents are illegal, that is fact, not opinion.

But buying used goods is legal and the company has made their money off the sale of the dvd originally anyway whereas if you steal it from the internet - they have made nothing.

Do you know how filesharing works? It works by someone uploading their DVD for others to download. Therefore the company has made their money from the salw of DVD originally, its no different to buying a second hand DVD in terms of whether its stealing or not.

And just because one thing is legal and another is not, it doesnt make it "more moral." According to the law it's an act of treason to place a postage stamp upside down on an envelope which is punishible by life improsonment, doesnt make it morally wrong. Similarly, it is perfectly legal in the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow, doesnt make it morally right.

And cannabis is illegal, wheras the much more devestating, addictive and harmful (both while intoxitated and in the long term) drugs of alcohol and tobacco are legal (and IMO is a much better and gives you a more pleasurable experience), it doesnt make cannabis a more morally wrong drug

Last edited:
Do you know how filesharing works? It works by someone uploading their DVD for others to download. Therefore the company has made their money from the salw of DVD originally, its no different to buying a second hand DVD in terms of whether its stealing or not.

And just because one thing is legal and another is not, it doesnt make it "more moral." According to the law it's an act of treason to place a postage stamp upside down on an envelope which is punishible by life improsonment, doesnt make it morally wrong. Similarly, it is perfectly legal in the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow, doesnt make it morally right.

And cannabis is illegal, wheras the much more devestating, addictive and harmful (both while intoxitated and in the long term) drugs of alcohol and tobacco are legal (and IMO is a much better and gives you a more pleasurable experience), it doesnt make cannabis a more morally wrong drug

Stealing and placing a stamp upside down on an envelope are hardly the in the same kettle of fish are they?, if I came into your house and stole something of yours I'd wager you wouldn't be best pleased.

If you buy a second hand dvd, it's not stealing - you have paid for it, so it is different,if you download a torrent for free, you haven't paid for it, so it is stealing. I believe making copies of a disc is also illegal unless you have the original copy.

I really don't see how you can say that what you are doing isn't illegal. There's no argument about it chap, the law says you're in the wrong whether you like it or not, playing copied games/ films is no different to someone stealing a loaf of bread or pint of milk froma shop in the eyes of the law.

one person buys a DVD and shares : 1000s of people have the film from one purchase cost

one person buys a DVD and another buys it from him second hand : only one physical film from one sale.

one person buys a DVD and shares : 1000s of people have the film from one purchase cost

one person buys a DVD and another buys it from him second hand : only one physical film from one sale.

What does the amount of people who take the product the product without paying for it have to do with how wrong it is? If one person does it it doesnt make it any better

Stealing and placing a stamp upside down on an envelope are hardly the in the same kettle of fish are they?, if I came into your house and stole something of yours I'd wager you wouldn't be best pleased.

Surely downloading a bit torrent, in the eyes of a sane man, is the same as your friend lending you a copy of his dvd/game/CD. It's just that we can now let our friends use our things over a long distance without the cost of posting it.

You coming into my house and stealing and profondo downloading a bit torrent "are hardly the in the same kettle of fish"

I'd presume you could be arrested for breaking and entering into my house for one thing.

Is sharing any of your possessions with those unable or unwilling to buy similar items a crime in the eyes of YOUR law?

Judge Dread.

which law? the Internet law? UK law? Zimbabwe law? Stephen Law?

please be more precise.

Only an argumentative **** wouldn't understand that. The law governing the downloader in question, in this case UK law.

Surely downloading a bit torrent, in the eyes of a sane man, is the same as your friend lending you a copy of his dvd/game/CD. It's just that we can now let our friends use our things over a long distance without the cost of posting it.

You coming into my house and stealing and profondo downloading a bit torrent "are hardly the in the same kettle of fish"

I'd presume you could be arrested for breaking and entering into my house for one thing.

Is sharing any of your possessions with those unable or unwilling to buy similar items a crime in the eyes of YOUR law?

Judge Dread.

Which is also illegal. And of course it isn't the same, if he gives you his copy there is still only one copy in existance, if he wants to play it at the same time as you two copies need to be purchased, which is as it should be.

What does the amount of people who take the product the product without paying for it have to do with how wrong it is? If one person does it it doesnt make it any better

I didn't say it had anything to do with morals. As I explained in my reply to FF a second ago, in the case of selling on a DVD/Game there is only one in existance still, if the seller (in FF's instance the lender) wants to keep playing the game or DVD they will need to buy a second copy. So for everyone playing or watching the product the producer has been paid. If the file is spread then several thousand people can benefit from only one item being purchased.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain anymore, it's so ****ing simple only an idiot couldn't grasp the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669