Last DVD you bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

According to all the gumph at the beginning of any DVD it is against their copyright. I'm not a legal bod, so I don't know if illegal is the correct term, but should they chose to bother to prosecute it could probably cause you hassle.

Obviously it would never come to it and they don't really care about people lending, probably because it doesn't result in any illegal duplication of their media.

Only an argumentative **** wouldn't understand that. The law governing the downloader in question, in this case UK law.

Which is also illegal. And of course it isn't the same, if he gives you his copy there is still only one copy in existance, if he wants to play it at the same time as you two copies need to be purchased, which is as it should be.

I'll try not to take your insult personally as that would make you "illegal" on this board.

I guess your statement therefore is in agreement with my argument that downloading is not illegal. It is case dependant, some people in somecountries can download without their being any question of illegality.

Of course Profundo and myself were arguing something far more important than legality, we were arguning about rights and moral rights as perceived through own own system of morality.

Knowing a little more about the law than you, I'd have to disagree with your comment about letting a friend use your copy being illegal too.

If you had been right with this last statement would it make it "legal" in your eyes to download said friend's property and use it at a different time to him. After all how many times in your life do you watch the same film?

I await your wonderfully pompous reply. :icon_wink

Sorry, another question. If I buy a dvd, is it illegal for my wife and children to watch it with me?

Stealing and placing a stamp upside down on an envelope are hardly the in the same kettle of fish are they?, if I came into your house and stole something of yours I'd wager you wouldn't be best pleased.

If you buy a second hand dvd, it's not stealing - you have paid for it, so it is different,if you download a torrent for free, you haven't paid for it, so it is stealing. I believe making copies of a disc is also illegal unless you have the original copy.

I really don't see how you can say that what you are doing isn't illegal. There's no argument about it chap, the law says you're in the wrong whether you like it or not, playing copied games/ films is no different to someone stealing a loaf of bread or pint of milk froma shop in the eyes of the law.

Im not saying what im doing isnt illegal, i've never said that, i know it is. The point I was trying to make, was that just because something is illegal it doesnt make it wrong to do it.

I wouldn't have watched it if i didnt torrent it so im not denying the production company any money and in fact ive bought far more DVDs since ive been watching torrents so im actually giving more to the companies. However, you replied saying that watching a movie without paying to the company is still stealing, so i replied saying that paying for a used DVD is stealing by that logic too.

I'll try not to take your insult personally as that would make you "illegal" on this board.

I guess your statement therefore is in agreement with my argument that downloading is not illegal. It is case dependant, some people in somecountries can download without their being any question of illegality.

Of course Profundo and myself were arguing something far more important than legality, we were arguning about rights and moral rights as perceived through own own system of morality.

Knowing a little more about the law than you, I'd have to disagree with your comment about letting a friend use your copy being illegal too.

If you had been right with this last statement would it make it "legal" in your eyes to download said friend's property and use it at a different time to him. After all how many times in your life do you watch the same film?

Exactly, we were never arguing that torrents aren't illegal specifically

I wouldn't have watched it if i didnt torrent it so im not denying the production company any money

When you download a torrent other people can then download the same thing from your PC. So you're illegally giving them access to the stuff you've downloaded. Maybe you're not costing the companies anything, but what about the people who are downloading it from your PC?

When you download a torrent other people can then download the same thing from your PC. So you're illegally giving them access to the stuff you've downloaded. Maybe you're not costing the companies anything, but what about the people who are downloading it from your PC?

Surely not if you move it away from the folder it downloads into? I'm probably wrong though, don't know too much about torrents.

But in the case we are discussing yes, it is illegal.

Those last two sentences completely contradict each other, in one you say I am wrong (I'll take your word on it as I couldn't care enough to argue) yet in the other ask me a question based on the assumption I am right?

After your arguments about the education system (in which you also have a lot more experience than me apparantly) and this one (again in which you have a lot more experience than me, without even knowing what, if any, experience I have) I really don't see the point in discussing things with you. Are you Innocent in disguise?

I didn't insult you at all, I said only an argumentative **** would failt to understand. If you chose to put yourself in that bracket there is nothing I can do about it.

What about when i download through programmes such as rapidshare or mediafire? Are they ok, then?

Yes, this is all very well, but who exactly is Profondo Rosso and why haven't I heard of him/her before now?
It's no good hiding in a thread about DVDs, most of us haven't had to buy an actual DVD for years

It's no good hiding in a thread about DVDs, most of us haven't had to buy an actual DVD for years

Do you download?

Do you watch a friends?

Do you not watch dvds?

Do you rent?

He used to be M!key2000

I knew I'd seen that sig file before!

Can anyone just change their username then and keep the same posting history to go with it? Sounds like what MKDons tried to do with Wimbledon. Franchising comes to TB eh?!!

I knew I'd seen that sig file before!

Can anyone just change their username then and keep the same posting history to go with it? Sounds like what MKDons tried to do with Wimbledon. Franchising comes to TB eh?!!

I posted a thread on it about a year ago in the Techie forum

And back on topic, i ordered Return of the Living Dead, Braindead and Bad Taste the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566