Lazzers Good/Bad Food Guide for Leicestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the obvious was pointed out to me in my teens, I now cant face eating an egg with out the thought of 'chickens periods' appearing in my head

The 'obvious' being that chickens are not mammals and that they don't have periods?

The 'obvious' being that chickens are not mammals and that they don't have periods?

no

it's that periods are liquid and red, whilst eggs are white and solid

:102:

went to timo's which is castrogiavanni's restaurant on allendale road. went on monday for my birthday and it was super. lovely food and not too empty considering first day back at work after new year for lots of people.

we ordered wine and they then informed a bottle is free if you have 2 courses which we were going to have anyway, so that was a bonus. £20 bottle of wine, 2 starters and 2 mains came to £30 bargain and lovely food. i recommend it. think the wine offer is on, on mondays and tuesdays.

Chiquitos, Merridian cinema complex.

Rubbish. Overpriced grub that you can get elsewhere. Poor service, and took well over an hour for it to be served.

0/10

Here is review from the mockery Bob

A charming 16th century grade-II listed building, fronted by a large terrace and trees sprinkled with atmospheric fairy lights – as first impressions go, it was a great one.
No, we weren't at a country house hotel surrounded by acres of picturesque gardens, but rather at Leicester's Old Grammar School, which, having been transformed into the 1573 Bar and Grill, is now part of the cosmopolitan Highcross shopping centre.
Though it pre-dates most of the other units by more than 400 years, it blends well thanks to its contemporary, yet sympathetic, conversion.
Named after the year in which the Old Grammar School was built, the sleek new venue is a less formal offering from the owners of Colourworks – a popular fine dining restaurant at Westbridge Close.
1573 aims to provide a "fresh new concept for dining and drinks at Highcross Leicester", offering fine wines and Champagnes along with light bites, lunch and dinner.

Stepping inside, the venue feels elegant yet understated, with a simple décor allowing architectural features – such as original ceiling beams, exposed brick walls and stone mullion windows – to shine.
This being a "grill" restaurant, a good chunk of the menu is devoted to steaks – with offerings including sirloin, fillet, ribeye, and T-bone, along with 12 sauces/ dressings to choose from, and a cooking preference guide.
For those who prefer seafood, there's sea bass, salmon, tuna or tiger prawns, while the indecisive can pick and mix from the combo selection. Vegetarian options include a tofu burger, or paneer and vegetable skewers.
My partner Simon opted for the 8oz sirloin steak, which was cooked medium-rare as requested, and was both succulent and tasty, with a lovely char-grilled flavour.
Not being a big meat-eater, my tastebuds were instead tempted by the teriyaki glazed organic Shetland salmon steak. It lived up to my expectations – the fish was deliciously moist, and its flavour was enhanced by the sweet teriyaki glaze. As with all dishes, our meals were accompanied by chips and salad. The salad was fresh, with the peppery flavours of rocket and watercress adding interest, and the chips were tasty – although I would have preferred them a tad crispier.
We couldn't resist the dessert list – which includes goodies such as banoffee pie, apple tart, and a chocolate truffle selection. I was drawn to the warm chocolate fudge cake with vanilla seed ice cream, while Simon liked the sound of the sticky toffee pudding with Baileys cream and vanilla seed ice cream.
The ice cream impressed Simon, and although we felt both the cake and the pudding were a little dry, we still managed to polish them off.
We dined early, and for a time were the only people on the upper level of the restaurant, so service was particularly prompt. Including a couple of drinks from the bar and a couple of coffees, the bill came to £48, which was a fair price for good food in lovely surroundings.
Info
1573 Bar & Grill, Highcross, Leicester. Phone 0116 251 6879

Chiquitos, Merridian cinema complex.

Rubbish. Overpriced grub that you can get elsewhere. Poor service, and took well over an hour for it to be served.

0/10

Its always been distinctly average but recently has descended into total ineptitude. As you say its not cheap either. Frankie and Bennys is the alternative which although is not brilliant is the better choice of the two. Not sure about the Obsevatory lately ? was total gash about 18 month ago.

Its always been distinctly average but recently has descended into total ineptitude. As you say its not cheap either. Frankie and Bennys is the alternative which although is not brilliant is the better choice of the two. Not sure about the Obsevatory lately ? was total gash about 18 month ago.

There's a Chinese opened up there, next to the Bowling. It was pretty empty when we walked past about 9.30pm - not sure if it was the weather or the fact it's shit :icon_lol:

Like is said Hazz it aint the best but is currently better than Chiquito's from a food point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69