Post Match Leicester 0 Burnley 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. I love going to lower league matches once in a while (if it's sunny) and it's got a genuine and charming feel to it, but it's not realistic to think that the Premier League or The Championship would ever go back to that. People will get used to it as generations go by.

You are advocating taking away the match experience that the majority of people who follow city have grown up with and want and replacing it with something they don't want and if they did is available elsewhere, it shows a lack of understanding of the 'product' and the core demographic. It's a good way to destroy a business if the business model relies on footfall but, as we all know, the upper leagues gain the major of their money from TV deals and don't give a rats ass about the fan in the stadium.

People will get used to it as generations go by.

I guess you would prefer to avoid all the old fashioned problems like the weather, the hassle of being involved in people flocking to the ground, the adversorial atmosphere of the crowd, possibly the incovenience of mixing with ordinary people who couldn't afford a £100 a throw. Surely best to go a step further...scrap the crowd altogether and exploit developing digital technology to create a virtual crowd - the whole experience to be protected by an expensive and exclusive intranet system.

You are advocating taking away the match experience that the majority of people who follow city have grown up with and want and replacing it with something they don't want and if they did is available elsewhere, it shows a lack of understanding of the 'product' and the core demographic. It's a good way to destroy a business if the business model relies on footfall but, as we all know, the upper leagues gain the major of their money from TV deals and don't give a rats ass about the fan in the stadium.
I think the point is there is a new generation of football fans growing up, who have grown up in an era where Sky can move the games around as they want to and where the experience of football is something completely different than it used to be. These people (like me) are not sentimental, we don't think "ah, football is not like it used to be in the 70's".

This may take some time in Leicester, because as you say those who go do that because of an emotional attachment to the club, not purely because they want to be entertained. But do I think that people will stop attending football matches when it gets transformed into being a, above all, money-making entertainment industry? No, I don't think so. People are passionate about sports in the US, even though it's unbelievably commercialized with pay-per-view and what not. It's just a different kind of supporter culture.

Last edited:
I guess you would prefer to avoid all the old fashioned problems like the weather, the hassle of being involved in people flocking to the ground, the adversorial atmosphere of the crowd, possibly the incovenience of mixing with ordinary people who couldn't afford a £100 a throw. Surely best to go a step further...scrap the crowd altogether and exploit developing digital technology to create a virtual crowd - the whole experience to be protected by an expensive and exclusive intranet system.
I think Matt would be happy about that. :icon_bigg

I think the point is there is a new generation of football fans growing up, who have grown up in an era where Sky can move the games around as they want to and where the experience of football is something completely different than it used to be. These people (like me) are not sentimental, we don't think "ah, football is not like it used to be in the 70's".

This may take some time in Leicester, because as you say those who go do that because of an emotional attachment to the club, not purely because they want to be entertained. But do I think that people will stop attending football matches when it gets transformed into being a, above all, money-making entertainment industry? No, I don't think so. People are passionate about sports in the US, even though it's unbelievably commercialized with pay-per-view and what not. It's just a different kind of supporter culture.

I'll never agree with you and I'm pretty sure the majority at City won't for the forseeable future, I do go to US sportainment (I have tickets for the Marlins in Miami next month) but only to see a different product and only occasionally, I've not been to a cinema for over 7 years, I have all but given up on football on the TV, if City went that way I'd be sending back my season ticket.

I'll never agree with you and I'm pretty sure the majority at City won't for the forseeable future, I do go to US sportainment (I have tickets for the Marlins in Miami next month) but only to see a different product and only occasionally, I've not been to a cinema for over 7 years, I have all but given up on football on the TV, if City went that way I'd be sending back my season ticket.
Yes, the number of season ticket holders would probably down, but I think there are people, who normally wouldn't get particularly excited about a 0-0 draw against Scunthrope, who would consider going if it was a bit more like 'a day out', if you know what I mean.

You know Leicester better than I do, perhaps everyone who would ever consider going to a football match are those who are actually going right now. But what I've seen in other sports and other countries is that even though the core support goes away, there are people who will fill their seats when the product changes. "Families, businessmen and utter arseholes", as homer put it. I'd put myself in the last category.:)

I have full respect for people who don't want the game to change, but I'm fairly certain it will and I prefer to see the good things about football capitalism, where we are customers first and supporters second.

If you are just a customer then you can go and see any old game, it doesn't matter. I went to Wembley on a freebie a couple or so years ago to see York play Stevenage. I went with no allegiance to either of the teams, and, whilst I enjoyed the trip to Wembley, couldn't enjoy the football without a team to support.

I'm sorry but customers are incidental and will come and go at a whim. Supporters are the life blood of a club and they are the ones that are there on a cold Tuesday in January supporting their club. Where will your customers be then? ... At home watching some plastic game on tv.

The club has tried to enhance the matchday experience with fairground rides, reindeer, Thai dancers and all manner of inane drivel to "entertain" the masses. Yes. I had a wander round once, I certainly wouldn't want to be subjected to it every week, as for the whole day experience ... no thanks, I'll turn up at half two, have a pint and a pie, watch the game, cheer on the little kids in the half time relay and go home thinking about the 90 minutes of what I went there to see, nothing more.

Yes, the number of season ticket holders would probably down, but I think there are people, who normally wouldn't get particularly excited about a 0-0 draw against Scunthrope, who would consider going if it was a bit more like 'a day out', if you know what I mean.

You know Leicester better than I do, perhaps everyone who would ever consider going to a football match are those who are actually going right now. But what I've seen in other sports and other countries is that even though the core support goes away, there are people who will fill their seats when the product changes. "Families, businessmen and utter arseholes", as homer put it. I'd put myself in the last category.:)

I have full respect for people who don't want the game to change, but I'm fairly certain it will and I prefer to see the good things about football capitalism, where we are customers first and supporters second.

My company has a factory in Portland Oregon where they've just got a new MLS team, the Timbers, the team has gone out of it's way to follow to 'traditional european' supporter model, with standing areas, singing and chanting encourage etc. Most of the people I know that have been to see a game think it provides far better entertainment that sitting being 'entertained'. Season tickets are sold out with a waiting list and it is all sold based on our outdated model.

PS. I think that with your attitude there would be a job at the KP for you.

The Timbers Army is recruiting. Enlist today!

The Timbers Army (TA) has set the bar for soccer fan support in America. From humble beginnings in section 107 to taking over the North End of JELD-WEN Field at every Portland Timbers match, the TA is on track to become the most respected supporters group in Major League Soccer.

The TA is as diverse as the Portland community, and welcomes all Portland Timbers supporters to the North End. The TA stands and sings throughout the match, celebrating the world’s game with a unique, rich and deep passion that only Portland can provide. To ensure this tradition continues, the Portland Timbers are offering Timbers Army season tickets. By purchasing Timbers Army season tickets, you will secure a place in the fabled North End and ensure you receive the ultimate fan experience at every game. TA season tickets are general admission, allowing fans to be mobile within the North End. Holders of Timbers Army season tickets will also have access to exclusive events and merchandise.

For each Timbers Army Season Ticket sold, the Portland Timbers will donate a percentage of sales to the TA to help support their continuing efforts, ranging from development of flags, banners and streamers for matches, to events for charities, fans and the community.

For more details about the Timbers Army, visit www.timbersarmy.org.

Season Ticket Waiting List
Sign up today for the Portland Timbers season ticket waiting list. Your $50 per seat refundable deposit secures you spot in line when season tickets become available.

Last edited:
The club has tried to enhance the matchday experience with fairground rides, reindeer, Thai dancers and all manner of inane drivel to "entertain" the masses. Yes. I had a wander round once, I certainly wouldn't want to be subjected to it every week, as for the whole day experience ... no thanks, I'll turn up at half two, have a pint and a pie, watch the game, cheer on the little kids in the half time relay and go home thinking about the 90 minutes of what I went there to see, nothing more.

I'm there for the football too, so I know what you mean. Thing is, some people must like that sort of stuff, otherwise the clubs would never do it.

My company has a factory in Portland Oregon where they've just got a new MLS team, the Timbers, the team has gone out of it's way to follow to 'traditional european' supporter model, with standing areas, singing and chanting encourage etc. Most of the people I know that have been to see a game think it provides far better entertainment that sitting being 'entertained'. Season tickets are sold out with a waiting list and it is all sold based on our outdated model.
That's great for everyone, then. As you know, if there's money to be made from the 'old-fashioned' way of watching football, then that option is obviously going to be available. Clubs are not trying to change things because they want to piss some people off, they're just trying to make as much money as possible.

I'm there for the football too, so I know what you mean. Thing is, some people must like that sort of stuff, otherwise the clubs would never do it.

That's great for everyone, then. As you know, if there's money to be made from the 'old-fashioned' way of watching football, then that option is obviously going to be available. Clubs are not trying to change things because they want to piss some people off, they're just trying to make as much money as possible.

US Soccer fans saying it better than the old school http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVW3tYo1UYk

We all know who ruined football - Margaret Thatcher. :icon_wink

Last edited:

Now that Ozzie Guillen is in charge, there's a pretty good chance of some entertainment there.....

Last edited:
If you are just a customer then you can go and see any old game, it doesn't matter. I went to Wembley on a freebie a couple or so years ago to see York play Stevenage. I went with no allegiance to either of the teams, and, whilst I enjoyed the trip to Wembley, couldn't enjoy the football without a team to support.

I'm sorry but customers are incidental and will come and go at a whim. Supporters are the life blood of a club and they are the ones that are there on a cold Tuesday in January supporting their club. Where will your customers be then? ... At home watching some plastic game on tv.

I think that you have put your finger upon the future of football. I, like you, am a child of the era of "real" football, and am a locked in Leicester City fan but, I believe that we will end up with a feeder system whereby Leicester City will be linked to, say Aston Villa, we will get their cast-offs and they will take any stars we create. Fans will be more fluid and, to me, the game will be the poorer.

I honestly do not see how you can really think of Leicester City, or any other major football club as a community entity now. How many of the players, management staff or owners have any links to Leicester? The football club IS a commodity; it is just that the fans (including me) have yet to catch up.

Match day buffets in the corporate boxes, comfortable seats, great view from all around the ground, retractable roof (never a waterlogged pitch again!), making it an event, not just a game of football.

Then maybe the miserable sods moaning about "the old times" will have ****ed off and football has become entertainment, much more customer-friendly. Ever been to a sports event (NBA, NHL, NFL) in the US? That's what it will be like it in a few years. I honestly can't wait.

But the customers don't want an event - they want a football match at a reasonable price. When will it be realised that the customers are miserable because they are no longer getting what they want?

NBA, NHL, NFL in the US can go **** itself. I honestly can't wait for football to fall flat on its face if that's the way it is going.

But the customers don't want an event - they want a football match at a reasonable price.
That remains to be seen. If customers don't like it, clubs will never keep doing it. So if there aren't enough people who prefer this new, perhaps more comfortable but less passionate, way of watching football to fill the ground, then it will never happen.

Think a lot of it depends on what's happening elsewhere in the economy, especially if ticket prices continue to go up. Customers (by customers I mean supporters, but not die-hard ones) are not as loyal to the brand/club and if football is seen as a luxury, that may be one of the things that they cut down on first - whereas someone who has been a season ticket holder for years will usually try to keep their ticket even if they lose their job etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669