Post Match Leicester 0 Leeds 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's one definition of 'theory'.

Another, equally correct definition is:
" a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation..."

Websters has many definitions. 2 & 6 are probably most relevant......

2: abstract thought : speculation
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
b : an unproved assumption : conjecture
c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

I have a theory that one or two of the posters on here are quite 'special'....

A crap game won by a spectacular goal.

I thought that in the first 15 minutes it looked like we were going to walk all over them. Yet again, nothing came of the good posession.

Wow, you really are trying desperately to **** this season up aren't you

Websters has many definitions. 2 & 6 are probably most relevant......

2: abstract thought : speculation
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation
b : an unproved assumption : conjecture
c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>

So to cut to the chase, you agree with me that Macky was talking out of his arse by only providing *his* definition?

If you were one of the cock ends who booed and sang 'who the ****ing hell are you' when the owners were shown on the screen then well done, you really lived up to my (low) expectations and really supported your 'we're real fans cos we sing and shout a lot r lestoh til I die' mentality

It was not being sang to the owners though.

So to cut to the chase, you agree with me that Macky was talking out of his arse by only providing *his* definition?
I thought my 'Uh oh' post was a clear indication that I thought Mr Macky's post was the product of a drink/drug fuelled mind.

I thought my 'Uh oh' post was a clear indication that I thought Mr Macky's post was the product of a drink/drug fuelled mind.

Sorry - I was treating 'Uh oh' as a Welsh word for some reason so didn't get the connection. My bad :icon_wink

I may well have been smoking some exotic cigarettes, but the definition I gave is not mine and was quite correct, a theory is a model used to explain observable facts. Any other definition you choose is a lazy corruption of this.

If people would like a definition from an opiate-addled mind, I'm sure I could oblige.

Well I could if I could make it out from the whole mess of colours it's buried in at presen...ARGH! Giant spiders...

Any other definition you choose is a lazy corruption of this.

No it's not.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=theory

"theory
1590s, "conception, mental scheme," from L.L. theoria (Jerome), from Gk. theoria "contemplation, speculation, a looking at, things looked at," from theorein "to consider, speculate, look at," from theoros "spectator," from thea "a view" + horan "to see" (see warrant).

Sense of "principles or methods of a science or art (rather than its practice)" is first recorded 1610s.

That of "an explanation based on observation and reasoning" is from 1630s."

No it's not.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=theory

"theory
1590s, "conception, mental scheme," from L.L. theoria (Jerome), from Gk. theoria "contemplation, speculation, a looking at, things looked at," from theorein "to consider, speculate, look at," from theoros "spectator," from thea "a view" + horan "to see" (see warrant).

Sense of "principles or methods of a science or art (rather than its practice)" is first recorded 1610s.

That of "an explanation based on observation and reasoning" is from 1630s."

But it still doesn't mean speculation or guesswork

I think Macky is just getting "theory" mixed up with "Scientific theory" and is probably wired to reaction due to those idiots who say "evolution/the big bang is only a theory."

I may well have been smoking some exotic cigarettes, but the definition I gave is not mine and was quite correct, a theory is a model used to explain observable facts. Any other definition you choose is a lazy corruption of this.

Poppycock.

D'you like how I got in a seasonal reference as well there :icon_lol:

I think Macky is just getting "theory" mixed up with "Scientific theory" and is probably wired to reaction due to those idiots who say "evolution/the big bang is only a theory."

There may be some truth in that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670