Post Match Leicester 0 Slavia Prague 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you swap where we are now for the Megson & Holloway era?
Or to put it another way, would you prefer fish and chips from that chippy in Crewe or roast pork, potato dumplings and sauerkraut in Prague?

I'll take the fish and chips I reckon.
Each have their merits but, yes, chips (with loads of vinegar) edge it for me too. Sauerkraut and dumplings I can give a miss.

Now if Boc had said a sundrenched Prague town square with a stein (or whatever) of ludicrously strong Czech lager.... then I'd have still opted for a Crewe boozer and a pint of generic ale... but it would have been a tougher call.

Soyuncu was very poor last night. Tavares looked our best player even for the short time he was on.

Now if Boc had said a sundrenched Prague town square with a stein (or whatever) of ludicrously strong Czech lager....
Which brings me to a funny, but true, tale...
I was in Prague some years ago when Norway were playing a Euro playoff game there. The night before the game, Mrs Boc and I were in that very same town square in a restaurant/bar opposite that famous clock. We were in the company of more than several tall blond blokes with horny helmets who were celebrating the fact that they drinking that strong ale at less than the equivalent of three quid a throw. Still having the prices in mind from my City-following trip to Bødo in mind, I just didn't have the heart to tell them that they could have been supping the very same thing for one-fifty just two streets away.

Which brings me to a funny, but true, tale...
I was in Prague some years ago when Norway were playing a Euro playoff game there. The night before the game, Mrs Boc and I were in that very same town square in a restaurant/bar opposite that famous clock. We were in the company of more than several tall blond blokes with horny helmets who were celebrating the fact that they drinking that strong ale at less than the equivalent of three quid a throw. Still having the prices in mind from my City-following trip to Bødo in mind, I just didn't have the heart to tell them that they could have been supping the very same thing for one-fifty just two streets away.

When you say 'funny, but true, tale'.....

“We must prioritize the competition we can’t win in order to qualify for a competition we can’t win”

Pretty broken model.
It does seem silly when you say it like that, however, whatever you say, CL football is a much bigger attraction for players and the best way of keeping the best of our current squad.

Like it or not, but that is how things are so it is vital we get CL if we are to continue our path of year on year improvement.

The title was a freak year, look how long it took spurs to be a CL 'regular' and now look how quickly they have dropped off over the past year or so.

As frustrating as last night was, we are still achieving way more than the sum of our parts.

CL has prestige innit. Players want to play in it. Players abroad will be more likely to join us if we're in it. Players in the Prem more likely to even be considered as squad players for us if they've got a sniff.

I doubt any player has the desire to step up to the Euro league for a bit. First 6 fixtures are usually a joke and then it's a slog to get to the final. Uefa make the competition unattractive.

It does seem silly when you say it like that, however, whatever you say, CL football is a much bigger attraction for players and the best way of keeping the best of our current squad.

Like it or not, but that is how things are so it is vital we get CL if we are to continue our path of year on year improvement.

The title was a freak year, look how long it took spurs to be a CL 'regular' and now look how quickly they have dropped off over the past year or so.

As frustrating as last night was, we are still achieving way more than the sum of our parts.

not disagreeing with any of your points there. But they all fit into my larger argument that football is a bit broken.

"Got it wrong" if you subscribe to the opinion that it was a win at all costs game. It wasn't. Rodgers knew what he wanted to commit and if it was enough then well and good, if not...

Slavia Prague wanted it more and committed more to the cause. The commentator said they rested 7 players at the weekend. Their priorities were more toward this game than their league game. We were completely the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366
8Coventry City4263