Post Match Leicester 0 Sunderland 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
starting to slip behind the required point/game average thats required to give us a fighting chance of staying up, that said 3 points next week and were on target

My first 'live' game this season. What was very obvious immediately is the big step up from championship to premier league. Anyone who expected us to be better off than we are is deluded. We won't become an established premier side overnight. Thought Pearson got it right in his interview post match and those who come on the radio bleating about being positive end up sounding extremely negative. I'm confident we'll improve and survive.

Wow, we do have some self opinionated knobs as so called supporters,

Before the season started many said " I'll happily take 17th now"

Well if that is the case, stop fecking bleating about where we are at this moment in time,

Fickle boneheads, has never been more apt!

Can't understand the praise from some quarters for Leonardo. Not sure what he contributed to be honest - oh, apart from havin g a bit of a love-in with Poyet and his team before kick-off.

Much improved overall and now that Kasper has his clean sheet maybe that will help him too.

....Sunderland were the better side, better shape, incisive and clever set pieces but couldn't get the goal. .

We really need to do extended sessions on the training pitch on set pieces. Sunderland showed today how dangerous having a variety of approach can be (even if they didn't score today). Could easily be the difference between staying up or not

Yes, strange indeed.

We were better in terms of width but once we got into the final third of the pitch our momentum and ideas were non-existent.

Today was a Championship quality game with for the most part Championship quality players on display.

Relegation fodder I'm afraid without significant changes in January.

1) Mahrez beautiful pass inside the full back only for Schlupp to feck up the finish.
2) nice passing move ending with Mahrez skinning his man before fecking up the finish.
3) Matty James one two with Ulloa before a decent shot and a decent save by their GK.
4) Matty James one two with Ulloa before a weak finish and easy save by their GK.

Non-existent ideas in the final third......

Poor finishing maybe, but there's a lot of closed minds in here. I'm not saying we played brilliantly, but jeez there are some glasses that are half empty in here. Why not just enjoy it?

We really need to do extended sessions on the training pitch on set pieces. Sunderland showed today how dangerous having a variety of approach can be (even if they didn't score today). Could easily be the difference between staying up or not

This, and BN's initial post, are certainly true. They looked very inventive from set pieces today. I was impressed with this a lot and they really showed what can be done in this area.

This, and BN's initial post, are certainly true. They looked very inventive from set pieces today. I was impressed with this a lot and they really showed what can be done in this area.
They scored none. What's so impressive?

Last edited:

They scored exactly how many goals from such variety today?
Nothing like trying to kick a team when there are down!

thing is, we are far from down.

So maybe , just maybe, if some of you took a big step back and looked at where we are now and where we have come from, you might realise things aren't quite as bad as they seem.

7 seconds too late...again!!!

Improved performance achieved with a 4-4-2, that became 4,5,1 (with Ulloa dropping into midfield), and at other times a 4,2,3,1 (when Schulpp and Mahrez pushed on).

As with most teams at this level, the formation changed on the transition play. It's not one rigid setup or another that guarantees a result. The team selection today offered a much improved chance of taking something out of the match, without stinking up the middle of the park with similar players. I cant help but think this same team selection would have beaten WBA, but that's just opinion.

The bottom line is that our players for the most part lack premier league quality; the composure and poise needed at crucial moments to really hurt the opposition, even more reason Pearson picks a team that is positive and offers something in attack, because we aren't going to stay up playing for cagey draws (as the last 5 matches have shown).

Still a long, long way to go but a performance to draw positives from.

They scored none. What's so impressive?

The TV pundit criticised us for our zonal marking on set pieces, and Sunderland for failing to take advantage of it.

I didn't say they scored. I said they were inventive.

They had a good variety of corners in particular and they led to a couple of decent chances (Johnson shot from the edge of the area first half and *unknown Sunderland player* with a clear shot from 10 yards at the start of the second half).

The TV pundit criticised us for our zonal marking on set pieces, and Sunderland for failing to take advantage of it.

I was saying this throughout the first half. We looked a feckin' shambles - people marking open spaces, their players left unmarked. It was a good job they were completely shit

Gotta be looked on as a building block. Clean sheet. Created 5 decent openings. Confidence is clearly at a low. Some naive giving away of fouls towards the end. Felt Morgan was magnificent and Schmeichel had his best game for us this season. James showed some sign of getting his fitness back too.

Felt the ref was a bottle job who didn't want to make a telling decision all game. Poyet has admitted they were fortunate not to give away a pen. Cattermole, Larsson and Vardy all could have been off. The goalies gaff at the end he got away with.

Poyet has admitted they were fortunate not to give away a pen

There hasn't been much comment on our 'penalty' appeal in the second half. It was a 50/50 situation, sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't. However, I'm certain that Mahrez didn't get it because every time anyone makes any kind of physical contact with him in the area, he throws himself to the ground theatrically. He did it in the first half and should have been booked for how embarrassing it was. When any referee sees you behave like this, you quite rightly never get those 50/50 decisions.

We don't use purely zonal or man marking at set pieces. We seem to try to do both and, as you'd expect, often end up doing neither. It's really bizarre at times and I'm genuinely surprised that only Palace have exploited us on it so far.

I can't imagine opposing coaches would read our forum, but if anyone wants a couple of easy goals a game against us, all they need to do is use two phase corners. For example, near post flick on's or far post headers back into the six yard box. Without a commanding keeper and with defenders that are confused as it is, we're wide open.

If nothing changes, you watch us get ripped to shreds at all this when we go to West Ham next month. They know how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566