Post Match Leicester 2-0 Coventry

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that human males are not aggressive, territorial animals with a penchant for violence, then you are clearly delusional.

Some might be, but the vast aren't. The one time I threw a punch in anger I broke his jaw and it utterly sickened me, even if the bloke was an utter bullying cnut. Truth be told I still well up thinking about it. Anyone who enjoys that level of violence must be psychotic.

Some might be, but the vast aren't. The one time I threw a punch in anger I broke his jaw and it utterly sickened me, even if the bloke was an utter bullying cnut. Truth be told I still well up thinking about it. Anyone who enjoys that level of violence must be psychotic.

It's not about enjoying it, it's about evolutionary requirement. Because humans have evolved the power to reason, we assume that we are above base instincts. We aren't, unfortunately.

An unfortunate incident Chris, that I'm sure everybody can relate to. However, it doesn't counter the point I've made.

Why anyone would bother following Coventry away from home is beyond me, 3 points from 17 games and again, like years ago, they fail to turn up for the biggest match of their season.

Comfortable win that should've been greater.

How you and Macky can claim that people with faces contorted with hate waiting at the gates for the away fans to come out have attended games throughout the entire history of the sport, and have often been in the majority, is simply absurd.

If you think that human males are not aggressive, territorial animals with a penchant for violence, then you are clearly delusional.

Macky is clearly right except that I would not limit it to males. However, no one had challenged that view. I am doubtful about references to the "entire history" and to "the majority".

The 1950s when I first started watching football had its share of violence - this was the age of the flick-knife - but it was not focused on football. It was only by the mid-1960s that I remember football hooliganism becoming a problem. The numbers involved were large because the crowds were large but it was still only a small percentage of those who attended.

The authorities have been successful in cutting down the violence because of the way crowds are controlled - organised buses, all ticket etc.
However, even in the days when hooliganism was at its worst I gelt safe standing around the half way line supporting leicester at Forest or Derby. The only time I have been threated by a football fan was one from Birmingham City at New Street Station when I protested at him barging in front of an old lady at a queue - nothing to do with football except that his team had just lost.

Why anyone would bother following Coventry away from home is beyond me, 3 points from 17 games and again, like years ago, they fail to turn up for the biggest match of their season.

Comfortable win that should've been greater.

Coventry really don't see Leicester as big rivals, villa is where it's at for them, they still don't realise they're on the way down and probably won't play villa again for a lot of years.

Macky is clearly right except that I would not limit it to males. However, no one had challenged that view. I am doubtful about references to the "entire history" and to "the majority".

The 1950s when I first started watching football had its share of violence - this was the age of the flick-knife - but it was not focused on football. It was only by the mid-1960s that I remember football hooliganism becoming a problem. The numbers involved were large because the crowds were large but it was still only a small percentage of those who attended.

The authorities have been successful in cutting down the violence because of the way crowds are controlled - organised buses, all ticket etc.
However, even in the days when hooliganism was at its worst I gelt safe standing around the half way line supporting leicester at Forest or Derby. The only time I have been threated by a football fan was one from Birmingham City at New Street Station when I protested at him barging in front of an old lady at a queue - nothing to do with football except that his team had just lost.

Are you really happy with the police treating football fans as criminals, even though 99% of us are law abiding tax payers?

Coventry really don't see Leicester as big rivals, villa is where it's at for them, they still don't realise they're on the way down and probably won't play villa again for a lot of years.

I can assure you they do, well the 4 that I am friends with certainly do and I'm reliably informed many of their friends also do.

I am doubtful about references to the "entire history" and to "the majority".

In fairness, "often being in the majority" was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but they would've been significant numbers and far higher than in the modern game.
As for the "entire history" comment, having read many books on the subject, that is entirely correct.

Wolves fans nicked my scarf when I was 12.Me and my mate surrounded by 20 or so.
Have to say when we were in the prem it was wolves fans who seemed to embrace multi culturism the most and stood up for a guy who was rightly outraged by a racist taunt from an idiot of ours.
Local soccer fans are often the best people I know.

It started at Derby no less

During a match in Derby in 1846, two troops of Dragoons (soldiers on horseback) were called into the stadium to deal with crowd disorder, and during this time, like the 20th century, pitch invasions were common. However, due to the lack of official figures and statistics, the severity of these incidents are unknown

Are you really happy with the police treating football fans as criminals, even though 99% of us are law abiding tax payers?

They are for the most part just another group of thugs looking for a ruck, no different to those labelled hooligans. The only difference is that they get to wear a costume, can legally use weapons and they get paid overtime for a fun afternoon venting their aggression

.......................... before it was publicised by the tabloids, football hooliganism travels way back before any other conflicts in foreign countries. Fights between rival supporters were not uncommon in the 1920s and 30s. In 1920, during a game in Birmingham, it was reported that bottles were “flying around like hailstones” on the terraces, and that men were using “half pint stout bottles instead of clubs” to fight each other.

Hopefully not when we play them in the Cup

When we played Millwall away in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1985, I went to the midweek game at The Den. I was the first Leicester fan in the away section, which was surrounded by fences to stop the locals from mingling with us. We should have won the game, but ended up losing 2-0 (Millwall had Teddy Sheringham and John Fashanu in their team). When the final whistle went, I thought that the Millwall fans would be quite happy to leave in an orderly manner as they had won the game. Instead, they charged across towards us and tried to scale the fences in order to celebrate their joy! In the next round, Millwall were away at Luton, and their fans ended up teraing out the seats and hurling them at the police, followed by a massive pitch invasion. Scary moments!

I was there for that Millwall game and remember it well. They were goings bonkers climbing up the fences like you say. It was no surprise in that 6th round game at Luton they would be worse particularly as they lost that one.
Going back wasnt much better if you were like me going South (down to Worthing) rather than back to Leicester as they were at the station down the road but the Police were only on the side where the City fans were

Last edited:

As they haven't played Villa since 2001, I'd assume we're the biggest match of the season, even if we aren't the biggest rivals.

I was there for that Millwall game and remember it well. They were goings bonkers climbing up the fences like you say. It was no surprise in that 6th round game at Luton they would be worse particularly as they lost that one.
Going back wasnt much better if you were like me going South (down to Worthing) rather than back to Leicester as they were at the station down the road but the Police were only on the side where the City fans were

I was going back to North London by tube. I had my Leicester scarf on, but tucked it in so that the Millwall folk couldn't see that it was a Leicester one rather than Millwall. As far as the game was conernec, it was so disappointing to lose. We had quite a few chances, and I think that Mr Lineker was one of main culprits that night!

I can assure you they do, well the 4 that I am friends with certainly do and I'm reliably informed many of their friends also do.

I can assure you many of them don't, my family is from Coventry, most of them are football fans and I lived that way for many years, there is little historic rivalry with Leicester. The younger fans (post 30 years in the top flight) may be coming round to the fact that Birmingham or Leicester will have do as main rivals but there certainly isn't a real derby feel for many.

Last edited:
They are going to look funny in that stadium with crowds of 10,000 next season.

Can't see it working out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670