Post Match Leicester 2 bournemouth 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
He [Gray] was, by quite some distance, the worst player in our 11.

Only rivalled for that position on the day by Chilwell, who seemed quite disconnected at times and unaware of both threat and opportunity. But with both Tielemans and Ndidi putting in brilliant performances, it was difficult for anybody to avoid their shadow.

...we all see different things - I might well have been distracted by the fecking annoying pointless stupid player stats being broadcast across the big screen all sodding game. What a load of complete shit that is

And say should say all of us. They're easy to ignore on the corner of a small screen when you're stuck at home or in a pub. But they seemed so obtrusive in the flesh. Unusually I was in the East Stand and found them annoying; God knows what it's like for people in the Kop, though the kids at the other end probably loved it. Can they really make modern football any more shit?

Last edited:
I have to say as well, we are an absolute joy to watch when out of possession. We are chasing everything down, pressing high up the pitch, and when we lose the ball we seem desperate to win it back again as soon as we can.

Such a breath of fresh air.

That really was a very good performance and no real poor individual ones and also very hard to pick a MOTM.

Would probably have to give it to Tielemens as that cross was sublime but Wilf was absolutely amazing too as I don't think he was beaten once and won the ball back a ridiculous amount of times.

Chilwell was probably the poorest for me, not a bad performance but was caught in possession a few times and looked too casual at times. He did put some good crosses in for a change though so harsh to say he had a bad game overall really.

Not too surprised Gray is getting some stick as he always does but I thought he was very good. I mean, they even had to replace their LB as he was constantly taking the piss out of Daniels so that shows alone how dangerous he was! I also thought he was very good covering back as there were 2 or 3 times he made vital interceptions after Ricardo had bombed on that stopped Bournemouth counter attacks. I'm sure Rodgers will see the potential too and look to develop him rather than replace him.

Kasper deserves a shout out too as that save at 1-0 was phenomenal as if that had gone in it would have been a very different game.

All in all, very pleasing to see and also pleasing to see we have stuck with Puel's system rather than the 3 at the back rubbish people were calling for as we have some very good wingers that we shouldn't look to leave out.

Serious question. Do you think sacking Puel was now the correct decision or do you think he was ‘on the verge’ and would have us playing like we are now given that few extra games?
I never said he was on the verge, I always said I could see what he wanted, I wanted us to get to the end of the season but everyone knew he was going and it became untenable
Personally I think Puel should be given credit for blooding so many young players. In terms of personal I felt Puel was doing the right things. Unfortunately his style of play and ability to motivate meant his results and performances were not up to scratch.
Exactly this Puel laid some good foundations for us and should be credited with that
Did you enjoy Morgan’s performance, Skitzo?
Yes, I gave my reasons for wanting Soyuncu to start and stand by them, and will for the rest of the season, doesn’t mean I expect him to play

I am more on the Gray is a weaker link side of things.

There were a couple of moments yesterday where he could have really hurt them and made the other choice. I remember a cross from Barnes early on that he should have been back post on and was on the edge of the box...was just not aware. Reminds me of nacho in that way.

Just not quite enough end product for me. He has obvious attributes though, and maybe Rodgers can get that final ball and positional awareness sorted. If so, he Gray can go as far as he wants.

I never said he was on the verge, I always said I could see what he wanted, I wanted us to get to the end of the season but everyone knew he was going and it became untenable
I didn't suggest you did say it, i merely asked what you thought...

Did you enjoy Morgan’s performance, Skitzo?

I think we defend better without Maguire. I don't think it was pure coincidence that we kept our first clean sheet in thirteen games without him yesterday.

I know it's counter-intuitive as he's undoubtedly a very good player, but Morgan is a class above in terms of defensive attributes. I'm sure that Maguire will come back in for Morgan next week, but, on merit, he shouldn't.

I am more on the Gray is a weaker link side of things.

There were a couple of moments yesterday where he could have really hurt them and made the other choice. I remember a cross from Barnes early on that he should have been back post on and was on the edge of the box...was just not aware. Reminds me of nacho in that way.

Just not quite enough end product for me. He has obvious attributes though, and maybe Rodgers can get that final ball and positional awareness sorted. If so, he Gray can go as far as he wants.

I'm not sure whether he's got what it takes at the top level. He has not improved in the last three years.

He's still quick, capable of making excellent runs, and very occasionally scores a great goal. However, he also still doesn't create chances for others anywhere near enough. He doesn't threaten to score enough. He also doesn't affect games enough.

He's got to be on his last chance now. Rodgers should be the perfect manager for him. If he needs confidence, Rodgers will give him it. If he needs to develop parts of his game, Rodgers will teach him. If he's still the same player this time next year, he's a dud.

If we are looking at selling Maguire or Chilwell because we need funds...surely Gray is a better option. We knocked back a 25m bid last summer.

I think we defend better without Maguire. I don't think it was pure coincidence that we kept our first clean sheet in thirteen games without him yesterday.

I know it's counter-intuitive as he's undoubtedly a very good player, but Morgan is a class above in terms of defensive attributes. I'm sure that Maguire will come back in for Morgan next week, but, on merit, he shouldn't.
I’m in this camp. Maguire is a very good all round player but Wes is a much better defender, and we are as a team, when he knows where his partner is, which much be near impossible with Maguire.

Evans and Morgan has shades of Huth and Morgan about it.

Gray is only really any good when there's miles of space in front of him.... I think he's actually a really good finisher too but we don't get to see that much as he's always out wide. On the rare occasion he plays in the middle he looks better and could potentially be a long term replacement for Vards if he learns how to make those runs off the back of the defender and just develops that striker's instinct in general.

That really was a very good performance and no real poor individual ones and also very hard to pick a MOTM.

Would probably have to give it to Tielemens as that cross was sublime but Wilf was absolutely amazing too as I don't think he was beaten once and won the ball back a ridiculous amount of times.

Chilwell was probably the poorest for me, not a bad performance but was caught in possession a few times and looked too casual at times. He did put some good crosses in for a change though so harsh to say he had a bad game overall really.

Not too surprised Gray is getting some stick as he always does but I thought he was very good. I mean, they even had to replace their LB as he was constantly taking the piss out of Daniels so that shows alone how dangerous he was! I also thought he was very good covering back as there were 2 or 3 times he made vital interceptions after Ricardo had bombed on that stopped Bournemouth counter attacks. I'm sure Rodgers will see the potential too and look to develop him rather than replace him.

Kasper deserves a shout out too as that save at 1-0 was phenomenal as if that had gone in it would have been a very different game.

All in all, very pleasing to see and also pleasing to see we have stuck with Puel's system rather than the 3 at the back rubbish people were calling for as we have some very good wingers that we shouldn't look to leave out.

Hopefully you’re now beginnng to understand the difference that a proper, competent, inspirational Manager can have on a group of players

Enjoy it

Wes is excellent at doing what Wes can do. Don't ask more of him. I'm not sure about Maguire's role with us. Maybe those two things are related.

I know people love to see Maguire lumbering out of defence with the ball at his feet (hell, I like it too, it's a hoot) but I'm not convinced of it sufficiently to start shaping a game around it. It leaves a Maguire sized hole in our central defence for starters, one that we don't cover. On balance, I think I'd rather not see it at the moment. Not with our preferred defensive options anyway, but maybe Benkovic and Soyuncu will broaden those options. Wes and, to a lesser extent, Evans are old school centre backs; they work in tandem - an absent partner makes them feel insecure.

I watched Fulham v Man City before hand. What I found interesting (in an otherwise dull match) was how Man City got bodies back and defended... this against a Fulham side who were in damage limitation mode from the off. The Man City work rate was impressive even if they were notionally coasting.

In the past, we've tended to over commit going forward and left ourselves exposed at the back. Maguire going awol is just one example. Chilwell and/or Pereira bombing on is another. In theory, the central midfield pairing of Ndidi and Mendy should have allowed that but it didn't kinda work out that way.

Of course, I'm talking Puel era football. Maybe Rodgers will sort it out and an ambling Maguire will become a matchday feature to look forward to.

I'm sure Bournemouth being completely fecking useless also has something to do with keeping a clean sheet, we have 2 starting England defenders and some of our fans can't help but slate them I don't get it

I'm sure Bournemouth being completely fecking useless also has something to do with keeping a clean sheet, we have 2 starting England defenders and some of our fans can't help but slate them I don't get it
I'm with you. The reason we didn't concede yesterday was because Bournemouth were the weakest side in terms of attack I have see us play this season. They created absolutely nothing and both Morgan and Evans could have had a sit down meal for most of the game. I love Big Wes but a better defender than Maguire? Jebus wept, I think the drugs have kicked in a little too strong for some.

Chilwell was our weakest player by a distance yesterday and hasn't been as strong lately as he has throughout the season. He has got so much to learn defensively but I'm sure he will improve. Keeping him and Maguire should be priority no.1 closely followed by the purchase of Tielemans.

I know people love to see Maguire lumbering out of defence with the ball at his feet (hell, I like it too, it's a hoot) but I'm not convinced of it sufficiently to start shaping a game around it. It leaves a Maguire sized hole in our central defence for starters, one that we don't cover. . Wes and, to a lesser extent, Evans are old school centre backs; they work in tandem - an absent partner makes them feel insecure.

I cannot help reflecting that in two years time Maguire will still be a top footballer while Morgan is on borrowed time. However, BlueNotes point reminds me of a story Jack Charlton used to tell

Charlton asked the great Alf Ramsey what made him pick him for England Alf replied "I've got Cohen at right back but he's never there as he is busy helping the attack. The same with Wilson at left back. Then there is God (Bobby Moore). But I know you Jack. You're an idle bastard. You never go out of position."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263