Post Match Leicester 2 Sheffield United 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we end up in the Europa we should take it very seriously if for no other reason than winning it means you play Champions League football the following season

I don't think the Europa League's sole purpose is to get to the Champions League. It's a competition within itself and winning the cup is prestigious. But I get why people feel the way they do about it.

Either way, we've secured European football next season so whilst cocking this up and not finishing in the top 4 is crappy given where we were, this is an achievment to celebrate. Remember, last year we had Claude Puel as boss and the year before that Craig Shakespeare.

Having said that, i want Champions League desperately. Apart from being in the competition for the best of the best clubs in the world, I want Champions League because it once again shows how far little old Leicester has come. Until 2015, MON was considered godly for us. His achievements were our pinnacle and were the benchmark for all seasons which followed.

Despite the fond memories of MON and that era, all my life no one knew who we were. As a kid in Canada and the US, they couldn't even pronounce "Leicester." And those who did know us, would ask me "why do you support them?"

Then boom. We achieve the greatest ever sporting story. World fame. Everyone knows our name. I went to Disneyworld in Orlando and probably one of the proudest moments came in a store in Downtown Disney; I saw Leicester City shirts for sale.

Then I'd get asked "Oh you're a Leicester fan? For how long? Since 2015? Ha!" I'd be thinking "no you smug little ****. Since I was five years old." But that made me proud. Proud they knew our name. Proud that I'd be assumed to be a plastic fan.

I want plastic fans to join the Blue Army. The more the merrier. I want to be a big, successful club. That should always be the aim. Christ, I sound like Pinocchio, but it's true. And getting into Europe this year is a giant step towards that.

The more times we get into Europe in back to back seasons or for example in a 10 year period, the better. It reminds the world who we are. It elevates us to the international stage. It's only been four years since we won the league, and this season will help us with our cause.

I hope we stuff Spurs and United. I want to hear that beautiful Champions League anthem again.

I don’t think that’s true at all. The types of players we would be looking at would be those who haven’t necessarily ever played in Europe full stop or who have been playing in a league far below the standard of the PL. Kante moved to Chelsea knowing that he wasn’t getting CL football because he understood the club was going through a poor patch but would always have the potential to play at the highest level. That’s what we would need to prove to a potential suitor; our potential. We aren’t likely to be going in for those big seasoned CL pros, they will still end up at Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United etc...

Take Grealish as an example. Would he choose us over Arsenal or Spurs because we have CL football and they don’t? I’m not so sure he would. He’d be a twat for going to those perennial underachievers but footballers are, generally, twats!

im almost certain that our budget and transfer targets will have been around the understanding we would qualify.

of course being in the champions league will give us access to a higher quality of player, even if you just view it from a financial perspective. Will also help towards keeping some of our players at the club.

On the game itself. An outstanding performance to a man.

Thomas looks superb, I’m excited to watch him over the next few games and hope he’s involved next year. A calm, Tidy footballer.

Big Wes was unbelievable. Looked at least a stone heavy, but what a leaders performance. Just brilliant.

Perez and Youri bossed the game really.

One player that I don’t think people will mention that I thought looked really solid was Bennett. He played a couple of balls down the channels that were absolutely spot on and defended really well. Full credit to him.

Hated the Hamza sub. Absolutely hated it. Just don’t see much in him as a player. I love a local player and he works his knackers off, perhaps just not my sort of player.

They all played well In the end.

OK, that was as solid a performance as we have had all season. Had Barnes and Vardy been a little bit sharper we'd have scored five and will goal difference now a big factor it's a shame we didn't. However, let's not be too despondent - a very good win and a much needed injection of confidence into the blue veins of our club. We have to play in the same way against Spurs and take it to them. If my maths are correct (or 'if my math is correct for any yankee dankee doodles out there), Spurs cannot overtake us. The best they can hope for is 6th. Maybe they will just ease off a bit on that basis? Maybe play a bit more openly, which suits us down to a tee. I don't want to have to go into the Manure match needing a point, but after the Bournemouth match didn't think we'd even get that far so I'll take it!

One other wildly insane but not-all-to-unlikely scenario is that it goes to an extra play-off match with Manure for the final champions league place. Now that would be a match not to miss!

Of course, now we look to Chelsea to **** it up for themselves. Liverpool and Wolves left for them I believe. A shame Liverpool aren't still in the hunt for the record points, but maybe they will now play with even more freedom and spank the Russian dolls, and then there is Wolves - much hated by us but now of course egg'ed on by us as they (probably) aren't going to turn over a inferior goal difference of 20 and therefore can't overtake us. They may still have 6th to play for too going into the last match (although hopefully we've already sown that up for them by beating Spurs) so perhaps they can do one on Chelsea, gifting us a top four finish.

Very interesting final two games coming up. Strap in and wash those nails for 20 seconds pre-match(es).

im almost certain that our budget and transfer targets will have been around the understanding we would qualify.

of course being in the champions league will give us access to a higher quality of player, even if you just view it from a financial perspective. Will also help towards keeping some of our players at the club.

Someone suggested Coutinho with the reasoning that he'd be interested to join us "if we get Champions League." I think that suggestion is bonkers. The CL is for one season only, and there's always the idea that we got it because other teams failed, which is in part true, but obviously we had to work to get there. Unless we regularly get CL or Europa, we won't be seen as a step up from teams like Everton or Wolves.

I think we will be able to attract better players, but not the top top players if we get CL next season.

Oh, and I forgot. The awful awful awful situation may arise that we finish 4th but:
- Wolves win the Europa League
- Chelsea win the Champions League
- Manure finish 3rd and Chelsea finish 5th

If that unlikely trifecta comes off, we miss out on Champions League. That would be a real pisser.

Oh, and I forgot. The awful awful awful situation may arise that we finish 4th but:
- Wolves win the Europa League
- Chelsea win the Champions League
- Manure finish 3rd and Chelsea finish 5th

If that unlikely trifecta comes off, we miss out on Champions League. That would be a real pisser.
I wonder what the odds are for that? 5000/1?

Maybe the ideal scenario for us would be to make the CL for the prestige and the cash and then finish third in our group.

We will of course be expected to finish bottom as the three other teams in our group will have a better coefficient. So a third place will exceed expectations.

Then, we have played CL, including some matches against one or two mega clubs, we pocket the cash, and then we qualify for the knock out stage of the Europa League and have a shot at that in Feb.

Everybody wins.

Vardy is getting better and better.

some of his passing, movement and very soon was incredible.

irreplacable.

Perez and Youri bossed the game really.

Didn't they though. You wonder what the magic formula is sometimes. Why players perform sometimes and not others.

One you get over the fact that Youri always looks dog tired and start to watch what he does, you realise what a class player he is. Almost chess like, he knows his moves ahead of time. Moves into space in support of players before they even know they need it. Cambiasso did that too. Youri makes it look simple, he plays the simple ball, sometimes to cutting effect. If there's no pass on or, as rarely sometimes happens, he is closed down then can ride a challenge, retain possession and move away, laying the ball off to a free player. He's got the cool, calm talent of an older player.

And Perez, well, I've remarked before - lovely feet. His goal typifies that; somewhat dug out, no back lift, first time placed. The keeper caught out with no time to adjust. Again, the art of a classy footballer.

Both are supremely talented and I feel this is mised sometimes because neither tend to be 'in your face' players - they just get on with it.

In terms of budget, I'd agree with you. In terms of players choosing to come here, it won't make a difference. Like I say, we aren't going to be in for those experienced CL pros and we still won't have the clout that Chelsea do. If they don't make it and we do, and we both end up wanting the same player, I'm almost one hundred percent sure that they will go to Chelsea, even if we matched or even bettered their wage offer.

I've just listened to Chris Wilder (on YTube) lay into his players. He was pretty obviously majorly pissed off. Thing is, I didn't think they were that bad, I've certainly seen worse this season. True, they didn't deliver the threat that I was anticipating but I thought that, at least in part, was due to us hindering them down the flanks and stopping the crosses, or dealing with the few there were. I wasn't expecting (because they haven't got) midfield genius creativity.

I suppose this indicates where Sheff U's strengths are (team work and robust effort) and if those elements are missing then they don't deliver. It helps me to reflect on our game when I can appreciate the contexts of others.

Nah not for me.

Leicester v Krasnodar doesn’t quite have the same appeal.
I’d find any sort of European football exciting.I find myself enjoying Leicester games (in person) less and less each season. I find the Premier League humdrum quite dull. Partly because we’ve already achieved more than we ever can again. Partly because I just drive in, watch the match, drive out. It isn’t really a social occasion for me.

I keep hold of my season ticket so I can get tickets to any European games we might have and to secure a ticket for any FA Cup final we might reach. And also because the football club is my last real link with the city I grew up in - so there is a bit of sentiment there.

I’ve lost a lot of love for the game at the top level. As well as Leicester home matches I get to ~20 Hinckley games per season. Okay, the football is crap in the tenth tier, but I go with the old man, we’ve got to know a few people there and I can have a couple of pints while I’m at it. It’s a small fan-owned club and is local. All of those things make going there more fun than watching Leicester. I find it impossible to feel any connection with our players and ownership model.

The point behind that quite miserable diatribe being that Leicester v Krasnodar is the sort of thing that makes it worthwhile for me. I think once this period of success recedes and we’re back in the second tier I’ll give it up as an annual commitment. Tickets will be easier to come by anyway so I can pick and choose. But, for now, give me Krasnodar on a Thursday night over any Premier League opponent you can name.

I'll have your ticket for the league games!

If we beat Spurs and Man Utd lose vs West Ham. Then unless Man Utd beat us by more than 4 goals we finish at least 4th.
A three goal win might be enough for them in that scenario. If we went into the last game needing not to lose by three goals I'm not sure I'd be feeling confident.

I agree with all of the comments on the performance. Top stuff. Interesting though that reading through all of the comments here there is barely any praise for the manager. In my opinion last night he played a blinder. Only interesting because of the amount of criticism of him that was posted after the Bournemouth debacle.

Maybe the ideal scenario for us would be to make the CL for the prestige and the cash and then finish third in our group.

We will of course be expected to finish bottom as the three other teams in our group will have a better coefficient. So a third place will exceed expectations.

Then, we have played CL, including some matches against one or two mega clubs, we pocket the cash, and then we qualify for the knock out stage of the Europa League and have a shot at that in Feb.

Everybody wins.
I’d be surprised and a bit disappointed if the same conversation had not been had behind closed doors in our boardroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669