Post Match Leicester 3 Birmingham 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Stringy, if you were to bottle determination tonight, you'd find Schluppy's name written on the bottle.
I have a few questions about this. What form does this 'determination' take, is it liquid or a type of powder? What if you use, for example, a Pepsi bottle, does the writing magically change from Pepsi to Schlupp? Or does the writing take a different form.
I do have other questions, but that'll make a start

If you could bottle "determination" I would still prefer to drink whisky or if I was in the company of Mackey whiskey.

This was an excellent "blood and guts" match. We were denied a penalty in the first half and when I thought they scored in the second. On neither occasion did the people around me remember that the season was supposed to be over.

There are a number of teams who have played a game less. Hull, Middlesboro, Birmingham and West Ham. Three of which have been on very good form of late.

Let's have a look at the form for the sides above us that we can realistically catch:

Last four games for Middlesbrough: LWWL (6)
Last four games for Brighton: WDDW (8)
Last four games for Hull: DDDW (6)
Last four games for Cardiff: LDWL (4)
Last four games for Birmingham: LDDL (2)
Last four games for Blackpool: WDLL (4)
Last four games for Leeds: DLDW (5)

Matches in which both sides above us that are catchable play each other :

Leicester v Blackpool
Leicester v Hull
Leeds v Leicester

Blackpool v Leeds
Cardiff v Leeds
Blackpool v Brighton
Birmingham v Middlesbrough
Birmingham v Cardiff
Brighton v Birmingham
Middlesbrough v Cardiff
Hull v Middlesbrough
Brighton v Middlesbrough

Quite a lot. The door is ajar and we can sneak through that gap. We just have to do it quietly.

West Ham are, Middlesboro are despite their recent setback against Leeds. Hull are unbeaten in 10 Championship games, that's not good form? Fair enough they drew the last five before today but they were still picking up points and a very good win away at Cardiff tonight might see them back on track. Even Birmingham, they may be in bad form now but they did go on a good run before the barren spell they are currently on and they haven't fallen too far off the pace. They are still in touching distance, unlike us and have played a game less than us. Aside from those four you've also got the top two, Leeds, Blackpool and Brighton who are all better placed than us as well. Crystal Palace will also go above us if they win their game in hand.

The usual judge of current form is to look at the form over the last six games.

In the current form table, Middlesbrough are 3rd, West Ham 8th, Hull 13th and Birmingham 20th.

So only one of your three "in form" teams is in the top 6, and two of them are below us (we're 10th).

Despite not being very good, our current form is better than the five teams immediately above us in the league.

http://weekendfootball.co.uk/analysis/form.asp?l=2&season=12&formtype=&gamescount=6

Because I've drunk a load of cider on top of my medication and am off my tits and misread your post. It was meant to be a light hearted piss take and I'm so sorry I have fallen below your expectations but more fool you for having any of me in the first place. I'm a **** and Steven should never have won the award.

Haha, drunken & sarcastic appology accepted. I gathered you are a **** already although you are usually a funny one who's posts I enjoy reading for their humour and not pointless swipes at others trying to score 'internetz pointz' over another. It did seem out of character though and to be honest Mawsley, I'd stick to the illegals as they're much safter than the booze & perscription meds route!!

In the current form table, Middlesbrough are 3rd, West Ham 8th, Hull 13th and Birmingham 20th.

So only one of your three "in form" teams is in the top 6, and two of them are below us (we're 10th).

Despite not being very good, our current form is better than the five teams immediately above us in the league.

http://weekendfootball.co.uk/analysis/form.asp?l=2&season=12&formtype=&gamescount=6

Jeff, are we agreeing on something? I know, I'm scared too!

Apart from the Schluppmeister's goal, the highlight of the night for me was mid-way (I think) through the second half when St. Ledger was outnumbered near the edge of our penalty area; in stormed Beckford from nowhere with a neat tackle and then played a good ball up the touchline.

Apart from the Schluppmeister's goal, the highlight of the night for me was mid-way (I think) through the second half when St. Ledger was outnumbered near the edge of our penalty area; in stormed Beckford from nowhere with a neat tackle and then played a good ball up the touchline.

Easy to please you are!

My gut reaction. I thought it was a very good team performance. We played very well as a unit and took our chances when they came. Thought the referee was very poor and their penalty was a joke.

I'd agree with that, no one stand out & no one that played particularly baddly but a good team performance and if we can put in more performances like that it will be at least a very good base to work from next season. Danns & Beckford maybe shading it for me & Schlupp was brilliant when he came on - very well taken goals by both Schlupp & Beckford in the second half. Wellens a bit disappointing as his passing was a bit slack tonight compared to how well he can play, would like to see DD given a go in his place to be honest but would be strange to see a manager leave another captain out so soon after Mills really and could cause needless disruption. Just think DD should be given a go in the centre at some point and Wellens probably the weaker of the two though not really been poor enough to drop.

Yep, that was definitely the highlight for me too. Them goal yokes are very overrated

Tactically outclassed Brum today.

Birmingham seemed to be playing an incredibly high line throughout and we just kept playing long balls over the top and getting our strikers to run on to it and got into so many one-on-one situations.

In fact that was probably the most direct I have seen us play since Levein was in charge and it was great, albeit rather simple, tactics to exploit the way Birmingham had set up.

Looked good going forward all game, still a bit of concern about the defence though, they performed well as individuals, but there seemed to be a real lack of communication in there at times, most notably right in the last kick of the first half where Bamba left the ball and shepherded the ball for some reason to give Brum a free shot from about 8 yards which was hilariously put out for a throw-in, then another time about 15 minutes in to the second half where we just seemed to stand still almost is if the game had stopped and allow Zigic to have the ball free in the area, but he fell over as he turned on the ball and Morgan ended up clearing. Do that kind of thing against Chelsea and we'll get punished.

Last edited:
Every other time, I've been spurred on by a win and thought we could do it, then be disappointed.

6 points is doable... but we won't do it.

In a way, that makes this win quite irritating. In the past week I've come to accept that we definitely won't make it, but it keeps the club hype going for longer.

I'm afraid we will just have to agree to disagree then. We all know it's a tall order, personally I think we blew it with the Bristol defeat, that was our chance to go on a nice run and gain some points on the pack against a struggling team. We are not in great form, too many teams have a better crack at it than we do and we are just relying on too many teams throwing it away at the same time as the unlikelihood of us doing the business ourselves on a regular basis. I just haven't seen enough from us that suggests we can do it. Besides, you can read us like a book at the minute, we will probably do well against Hull and Blackpool and then undo all the hard work again by getting beaten by Forest when we are three points off 6th or something...

I'm afraid we will just have to agree to disagree then.

The bits I disagreed with in your post were your factual inaccuracies.

You said most of the teams above us have a game in hand on us. Not true.

You talked about three of the four teams with a game in hand being on good runs, when only one of them is on a good run.

I think it's very unlikely we'll get into the play offs. I think we'll need to get something like 23 points from the last 10 games. Not impossible, and we know that on its day this team can beat anyone. But we've never looked like putting a run like that together this season. If we beat Blackpool and Hull maybe I'll start to believe we're going to do it.

Haha, drunken & sarcastic appology accepted

I'd stick to the illegals as they're much safter than the booze & perscription meds route!!

Good, because no offence was intended.

I am a master chemist, I blend with a fine skill. :icon_cool

The bits I disagreed with in your post were your factual inaccuracies.

You said most of the teams above us have a game in hand on us. Not true.

You talked about three of the four teams with a game in hand being on good runs, when only one of them is on a good run.

I think it's very unlikely we'll get into the play offs. I think we'll need to get something like 23 points from the last 10 games. Not impossible, and we know that on its day this team can beat anyone. But we've never looked like putting a run like that together this season. If we beat Blackpool and Hull maybe I'll start to believe we're going to do it.

I agree we wont make it. But I love mucking up other teams chances

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673