Post Match Leicester 3 Birmingham 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting the oppo to win is really panning out quite well - I don't know why no one thought of it before.

Excellent result and a great start.

it's early days and clearly the team are settling into the new formation, but dare we say Pearson is getting the results he deserves for switching things up with the same group of players, and vastly improving his tactical response during games.

My first game of the season.

A cheese salad baguette and proper coffee at the tea rooms then the frisson of excitement nearing the ground. The same friendly faces are there and the great banter. The Birch still defies the grey hair although the bald patch is becoming bigger. The pitc h looking superb - how Birch must wish hne had played on todays surfaces The frustration as we went behind followed by the feeling of triumph when we scored three. They scored just at the end surely we would no throw it away - and we didn't.

People have said that Birmingham, were poor. Nigel's teams are very good at making the other side look poor. We made it difficult for them to mount attacks,

Wood was terrible. I wondered whether Nigel might replace him with Schlupp and try Miguel at left back for the second half. As it was the substitutions worked so well done Nigel. I woulkd still like to see Schlupp given more games as a striker.

Birmingham's second goal was superb. Chris Burke came on as a substitute which may mean that he has to be used sparingly. I have alkways thought he was an excellent player and his goal was superb.

Birmingham manager Lee Clark was quite irritating as he spent the entire match moaning.

We had a penalty appeal turned down in the second half. I was not sure about it but my hero Mike Stowell had no doubts. He leapt in the air face contorted. He then made me wonder whether there might be asn Olympic medal for bottle throwing.

Last edited:

There was a lot of criticism of the ref, but most of this was daft. There was a penalty decision not given that should have been and the one he did give wasn't a pen. Apart from that, he was about bang on.

Large empty sections that are usually relatively full. Neither the team or the crowd seem to have any oomph. As I said, it's all a bit peculiar.

Biggest issue for the ref was a free kick for Vardy's challenge on Robinson was punished and a few months late, a very similar tackle by Eardley was allowed. Then Burn's trip on James too. Nugent shouts were dives. The penalty decision was a good tackle.

The reason that certain parts of the ground were empty was that there has been a clampdown on people buying cheaper tickets and then moving. For some reason too Brum is a Cat A game, so people were not buying touch line view tickets at that price.

Perfect day. City winning at home for the first time this season. And Brann winning away in the 11th attempt!!!

Did I mention it's my birthday?

Biggest issue for the ref was a free kick for Vardy's challenge on Robinson was punished and a few months late, a very similar tackle by Eardley was allowed. Then Burn's trip on James too. Nugent shouts were dives. The penalty decision was a good tackle.

The reason that certain parts of the ground were empty was that there has been a clampdown on people buying cheaper tickets and then moving. For some reason too Brum is a Cat A game, so people were not buying touch line view tickets at that price.

The Birmingham game was a Gold game as per the Leeds game and the next 4-5 home games.

As for a clampdown on people buying cheaper tickets and sitting elsewhere, I don't see how (unless its a sellout) the club can ever manage this. The same 'empty sections' were visible today as I've seen for god knows how long.

Last edited:

Oh and the penalty that was given was a clear penalty. He took Dyer clean out.

I've seen this six or seven times and it was as clear as they come. The lad led with both feet and was about a yard off the ground.

Having seen it again it does look like a clear cut penalty. At the time I thought it was a lucky one, from behind the goal it looked as though the defender took the ball but as you say it was a very strong, uncontrolled challenge.

Couldn't get to the game today so went to watch Altrincham thrash a dreadful Stockport side 3-0.

With the crappy internet on my phone, I could barely get updates, and when I was refreshing, praying for an equaliser, only to see 2-1... absolutely ecstatic.

Great day all round. 10 points out of 12, and not easy games either. Looking at October fixture list, I could see us top 4 by end of November

Great start to the season - far better than I expected.

The Birmingham game was a Gold game as per the Leeds game and the next 4-5 home games.

As for a clampdown on people buying cheaper tickets and sitting elsewhere, I don't see how (unless its a sellout) the club can ever manage this. The same 'empty sections' were visible today as I've seen for god knows how long.

Just passing on what I was told by Dad ref cheaper tickets.

As for the peno, having seen it again, yeh correct decision.

We gave up our season tickets in B3 as last season I could only get to half the games so it was working out at £50-60 a game.

Sat in the East stand and was astonished to see B1 and B3 virtually empty. It looks like about 5000 people have moved to the Family Stand which was practically full.

I assume it because tickets there are £22 not £34.

As for the game. They tried quite well first half but were obviously missing big Wes to direct the play from the back. Moore is much improved and has a great throw, if they could just work out on the training ground what to do with it.

Great sense of frustration that too many passes were going astray and there was no width in the play. Slack marking gifted them their first goal against the run of play. Woods was awful. Why is Nugent standing 25 yds from goal watching when he can see someone bombing down a wing? Is he thinking they will not get a cross in? Paul Dickov would always have chased those possible passes. If he is not match fit, let Waghorn give them the runaround for the first half.

Again, a lot of hard work. Some joined up play and we got the result. If we ever play again like we did last Jan/Feb we will beat someone 6-0. Oh yeah, we did, didn't we?

Why will Pearson not start Dyer and Knockeart? They made a huge difference. Is this managers who were defenders syndrome. Play safe until you are losing?

75 minutes of mediocre bang average load of old cobblers, personified by the completely dreadful Chris Wood. Misplaced passes, embarrassing finishing, pitiful defending (Richie de Laet, hang your useless head in shame)

All followed by 20 minutes of pure bliss, personified by the electric Lloyd Dyer ( yes, I said electric). Crisp passing, incisive forward movement, superb finishing (Andy King, hold your head up high)

You want me to explain it ? You must be feckin joking

We gave up our season tickets in B3 as last season I could only get to half the games so it was working out at £50-60 a game.

Sat in the East stand and was astonished to see B1 and B3 virtually empty. It looks like about 5000 people have moved to the Family Stand which was practically full.

I assume it because tickets there are £22 not £34.

As for the game. They tried quite well first half but were obviously missing big Wes to direct the play from the back. Moore is much improved and has a great throw, if they could just work out on the training ground what to do with it.

Great sense of frustration that too many passes were going astray and there was no width in the play. Slack marking gifted them their first goal against the run of play. Woods was awful. Why is Nugent standing 25 yds from goal watching when he can see someone bombing down a wing? Is he thinking they will not get a cross in? Paul Dickov would always have chased those possible passes. If he is not match fit, let Waghorn give them the runaround for the first half.

Again, a lot of hard work. Some joined up play and we got the result. If we ever play again like we did last Jan/Feb we will beat someone 6-0. Oh yeah, we did, didn't we?

Why will Pearson not start Dyer and Knockeart? They made a huge difference. Is this managers who were defenders syndrome. Play safe until you are losing?

Do you not think Dyer and Knockaert pace and skill are more effective against a tired defence?

They are just as effective against a fresh defence. What is wrong with winning 2-0 or 3-0 by half time?

Surely we have seen so many times they get a goal late on and then get a huge lift to go on and get another one, but why leave it so late to start scoring?

Now if you want to play some reverse psychology thing that we play better when we are a goal or two down?

What is wrong with us scoring first. When we were really good at the beginning of the year, I am sure that Dyer and Knockeart were on all game, and then got subbed when we were comfortably winning.

If I'm not completely wrong we have started this season with 3 wins and a draw. Not bad methinks whether the tactics are totally inept or not :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669