Post Match Leicester 4 Derby 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I was hoping for. We are fiercely competitive like we were under O'Neill and watching the willingness to chase down lost causes and block shots/crosses is almost as satisfying to watch as the slick passing football we are showing at times.

We were a bit unlucky to concede today and defended really well but I think in general if we can tighten up a bit defensively and defend well consistently and improve our deliveries from set pieces we could be a not far off being a decent Premier League standard side.

Sublime performance and could have easily been more. The standard 4 goals and an 80 minute battering against the Sheep was an amazing start to the weekend and still not quite sure it has really happened to be honest!

All 11 were fantastic but have to give mention to Vardy as the amount he has improved from last season is phenomenal and full credit to him as he and Nugent were unplayable tonight and linked up as well as any partnership I have seen.

I don't want to start believing this early but it's bloody hard not to!

****ing PeeStain getting us all excited this early - get him out.

Last edited:
We really sent Derby several months backwards according to the Beeb.

Derby boss Nigel Clough:
"Leicester are a very good team and top of table and on that performance you can see why, but we were well below our best - that wasn't the Derby team of recent months.

Watched the game in a pub in London owned by a City supporter. Absolutely packed and a fair few City fine in situ.

A truly awesome performance and if we had won 8-1 it wouldn't have flattered us.

We are really going to tear someone a new arse soon.

Happy days. Temped to sing 'there's a circus in the town' in the pub.

Watched the game in a pub in London owned by a City supporter. Absolutely packed and a fair few City fine in situ.

A truly awesome performance and if we had won 8-1 it wouldn't have flattered us.

We are really going to tear someone a new arse soon.

Happy days. Temped to sing 'there's a circus in the town' in the pub.
what pub is that and where is it?

Gary Taylor-Puskas.

Oh Micky. Even on a night like this the comparison made me wince. For those too young to remember get the DVD of Real Madrid 7 Eintracht 3 to watch Puskas score 4 goals in the equivalent of Champions League final. Only a supreme optimist would expect Taylor-Fletcher to achieve that.

There were two keys to our victory tonight. Firstly there is the speed of Vardy and Dyer combined with the intelligence of Nugent. When Wood and Taylor-Fletcher came on we were much less dangerous.

Secondly - Micky has started the wild comparisons so I will follow his example - the way we worked as a team to stop Derby playing reminded me of the way Manchester City played against us.

There's a circus in the town
In the town.
Robert Maxwells gone and drowned, gone and drowned.
Arthur Cox has got the ****ing pox.
Derby County going down, going down.
Sheep, sheeeeeeeep shaggers.
BaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

The Stags Head in Cavendish Street.

View from a Derby fan

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/footba...rams-bruised-and-beaten-badly-by-boys-in-blue

Rams Bruised & Beaten Badly By Boys In Blue!

Friday, 10th Jan 2014 23:02 by Daniel J Sewart

The best home record in the Championship came head to head with the best away record and it was the home record that came away the runaway victor. Leicester not only proved their promotion credentials, Derby showed they still have a long way to go.

As a Rams fan you could try and take come consolation from the fact that the Foxes are by far and away the best team in the League and are likely to run away with the title this season. Unfortunately the hapless effort that Derby put in, is unlikely to be washed away by any such excuse as they looked a class below where they will need to be to even challenge for a top 6 place.

After a first 15 minutes where both teams traded blows, providing an entertaining spectacle, slowly but surely Leicester began to gain a stranglehold as the warning signs were plain for all to see.

The Foxes were beginning to tear the Rams apart in midfield and in turn the forward creativity of Dyer, Vary and Nugent who all had early chances, looked by far and away a class above anything the Rams had to offer.

Chances were becoming easier for the home team to create as a flat footed Derby began to look tired and devoid of the spark that had propelled them up the league.

When Dyer, who was giving the Rams a torrid time, missed an open goal after Grant could only palm the ball away from goal, it seemed that a goal was coming unless Derby found some ticker fast.

Unfortunately no ticker was in the Rams kit bag so the inevitable came to pass when the Foxes finally put the ball in the back of the net. He started the move himself from right-back with a run that bamboozled two Rams, threw in a one-two with Nugent for good measure and finished by firing it low, easily beating Lee Grant.

From there the Foxes blew the Rams off the park and how the home side were not ahead by 4 or 5 goals by half-time was a mystery in itself. Derby did not have a single effort on target in the first half and despite some decent play in the first 10-15 minutes, never really looked like troubling the home side.

When Leicester hit the bar twice in quick succession, first from a shot on goal by Vardy from a near impossible angle and then Liam Moore smashed the ball into the cross bar by head from a corner.

It was going to be a case of the Rams hanging on till half time and hoping that Steve McClaren might have a team talk for the ages ready to break the glass on in case of such an emergency.

The Rams hung on but lord knows how as they were totally dominated in every department and on the balance of play should have been beaten by half time.

I don’t know about other Rams fans but I was surprised McClaren did not make any changes at half time to try and inject some life into the stagnant Rams. It seemed as if they desperately needed it but then again giving them a chance to redeem themselves was worth a try.

Unfortunately there was no respite for the Rams as after seeing the Foxes miss so many sitters, the home teams second was more luck than class but in all honestly if anyone deserved a slice of luck, it was the home team. When Nugent's shot was saved only to bounce back off his legs and into the net and into goal.

McClaren decided like the rest of us the team on the park had no chance and tried to inject some life into proceedings with new loan signing Patrick Bamford and Mason Bennett coming on for Dawkins and Ward.

There was a brief flicker of hope when Bamford got straight into the thick of it by shooting low. His effort was turned away for a corner and resulted in a Buxton header being deflected in by De Laet for an own-goal.

A slight heart beat but only slight.

Any hope the Rams may gather momentum was snuffed out when Craig Forsyth had a brain snap after shepherding Vardy away from goal only to bring him down on the edge of the box with a poor sliding tackle. Nugent stepped up and converted his 8th penalty of the season.

Rams flat-lined and pronounced dead.

Forsyth’s moment of madness triggered a full collapse as Nugent made it four and heaped more embarrassment on a Derby team who had hoped to regain some pride and momentum.

Instead it was three losses in a week with 8 days of soul searching ahead as McClaren will attempt to bring his team out of a nose dive when they welcome Brighton next weekend.

RamZone will present a completed report, match reaction, stats and more tomorrow but until then - we might just retreat to lick our wounds and try desperately not to have nightmares about a week of being beaten by boys in blue!

Wow. That was some performance tonight. Very, very impressed with Vardy. Like everyone else, I've been delighted with his improvement this season, but I've still had concerns about one or two aspects of his game, predominantly his first touch. Too often it's been like that of a sunday league player. However, I don't know what the hell has happened to him but tonight his touch was superb. He was flicking it around like Rooney. For the first time I can see that the lad has true potential.

Aside from that, everyone was excellent except one player. After a couple of much improved performances, in this game Knockaert was shite. Wasteful set pieces, silly conceding free kicks, he should have cleared their goal from the line, greedy shooting. He had a few decent touches but, to be honest, looked out of place in the company of his team mates. If the new french winger is any good, it's Knockaert who may lose his place.

Nugent scored two and had two assists. He was very good, as were the midfield pair once again. I'm no fan of 4-4-2 nowadays but occasionally we play it in the Championship like Man U played it under Ferguson in the Premier League. It's just too good for the opposition to counteract.

Derby were total wank. Their 'superstar' Hughes was totally ineffective and Keane produced a display I got well used to last season, he's too soft and naive. I really don't rate him. Gawd knows how they won so many successive matches.

Looks like two from three are going up automatically. I'll be cheering on Yeovil and Ipswich tomorrow.

Quite simply one of the best games of football I have seen in a long long while.

Oh Micky. Even on a night like this the comparison made me wince. For those too young to remember get the DVD of Real Madrid 7 Eintracht 3 to watch Puskas score 4 goals in the equivalent of Champions League final. Only a supreme optimist would expect Taylor-Fletcher to achieve that.

There were two keys to our victory tonight. Firstly there is the speed of Vardy and Dyer combined with the intelligence of Nugent. When Wood and Taylor-Fletcher came on we were much less dangerous.

Secondly - Micky has started the wild comparisons so I will follow his example - the way we worked as a team to stop Derby playing reminded me of the way Manchester City played against us.
reminded me of the way Manchester City played against us.....performances since that game have improved , great lessons were learned that night

I actually want to have sex with the concept of football.

The thought of this current Leicester side actually makes my insides sing and my tear ducts want to pour out tears, salty tears of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669