Post Match Leicester City 1 Brighton 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am not understanding this.

If a team is winning 1-0 with 5 minutes to go then their goalkeeper can collect the ball and hold it in his arms for the rest of the game and no one can do anything about it? Why don't all taeams do this?

Not in his arms, a goalkeeper is only allowed to hold the ball in his hands for 6 seconds, though this rule is broken generally several times every game and I've always wondered why no striker counts and appeals for it as the referee should be forced to give a free-kick to the opposition if it is brought to his attention and he realises that the GK has broken this rule, but with the ball at his feet there's nothing against it. It's just the same as a striker holding the ball in space for 40 seconds or passing it back and forth between your defence for that amount of time.

Last edited:
Its in play. Normally the striker runs in and forces him to play it. Ours couldnt be arsed hence the Mexican stand off. Not sure what all the booing was for though?

Are we all in agreement then? The ball was in play?

Its in play. Normally the striker runs in and forces him to play it. Ours couldnt be arsed hence the Mexican stand off. Not sure what all the booing was for though?

It wasn't because ours couldn't be arsed, it's because our strikers were both marking their defenders and as soon as they'd run towards him they'd leave open an easy pass for the GK allowing Brighton to keep possession.

It was 0-0 and in the first half at the time so time wasting for either side wasn't an issue (which is what made the reason Ankergren was doing it so bizarre) and if they'd left the defender they were supposed to be marking, it would just needlessly allow Brighton to keep possession rather than forcing him to hit a hopeful ball long which could easily end up back in Leicester's possession. So it was actually in Leicester's interest to keep marking the defenders rather than close the GK down, as it gave us a lot more chance of getting the ball back, nothing to do with them not being arsed. It'd obviously have been different if there were 10 minutes to go though.

I agree the booing of Ankergren for it was a bit strange though, he didn't really do anything wrong or detrimental to us by doing it.

Last edited:
No. The ref would give a free kick, just like he would if any other player had done the same thing. Do you have any more stupid questions?

Only if they get stupid answers!

Not to say that yours were....

I agree that he was about to give a yellow but am not sure about the phrase "bottled it." He may have used common sense and thought this player did not deserve to be sent off - I wish the Forest ref had done the same against Forest.

This season I have been to five games. In the majority of those one side has been down to ten men (against Coventry both sides). Against Coventry Vassell deserved to be sent off and perhaps the Coventry player too. In the Forest and Brighton game I believe the red card was too harsh.

The problem lies not with the referees but with FIFA and the two yellows equal a red rule. I want to see 11 against 11. For me having one side down to ten men makes it less of a contest. Sometimes this is necessary with a straight red but for me two yellows equals a sending off makes the contest less entertaining.

You write as if it's a new rule, Two yellows have always equalled a red; and in the days before coloured cards, if a player who had already been cautioned/'booked' did something which deserved another caution/'booking' he was sent off.

And fwiw I didn't see anything wrong with yesterday's sending off. Any player who makes himself 'wider' by holding his arms in the position that the Brighton player did deserves to be adjudged to have handled the ball. From my position at the north end of the ground, I felt that he leant into the line of flight of the ball. For me a clear handball and in that area of the pitch a booking (and therefore the sending-off) was to be expected.

I'm not even sure that I agree that a 10 v 11 game is any less entertaining - and when City are the team with 11, the record shows that we are no more likely to turn the numerical advantage into points.

And fwiw I didn't see anything wrong with yesterday's sending off. Any player who makes himself 'wider' by holding his arms in the position that the Brighton player did deserves to be adjudged to have handled the ball. From my position at the north end of the ground, I felt that he leant into the line of flight of the ball. For me a clear handball and in that area of the pitch a booking (and therefore the sending-off) was to be expected.

I completely disagree. The handball looked entirely accidental to me, the ball just hit his arm, there was no intention by the Brighton player to handle the ball, whether a player stuck his arms out to make himself "wider" or not is irrelevant unless the reason he did that was to deliberately handle the ball. A hand ball has to be deliberate.

It shouldn't have been a booking or even a free-kick.

Ours couldnt be arsed hence the Mexican stand off.

It was actually the reason we won for me in a roundabout way. Sven for once had clearly done his homework, Brighton bit like us under Sousa were playing from keeper to defence. So we just stood our ground knowing the keeper wasn't going to hoof it forward. It was the main reason we won, our pressing from the front three of King, Beckford and Vassell was brilliant. What I find the most admiring thing about Barcelona is not the way they can knock the ball around for 50 passes and then create a chance but the way they press, way up the pitch...making the defender fault. We did it very well yesterday. There's some daft fact about 70% goals come from winning possession in the final third of the pitch. Hence the reasoning I really dislike these teams down the Walkers who just sit back on the half-way line.

I agree the booing of Ankergren for it was a bit strange though, he didn't really do anything wrong or detrimental to us by doing it.

Personally I was just rather pissed off that I'd watch near enough a minute of **** all. I pay money to watch football, it was like some daft piece of modern art.

I'd like to add I think it was a far more accomplished performance than against Southampton. We made Brighton play within themselves, we made them look poor, we made M-Smith look very average and showed that his graft can only get him so far, put him against an athlete and he can't affect the game. We completely made so called prospects in the making Buckley, Harley and Noone look poor too. Add Lua Lua to that too.

Still doubts about Mills for me, twenty minutes of playing good...70 of fluttering between donkey and average. Peltier showing the form why I rated him so high at Huddersfield, being a lot fitter he was more like a Naughton left-back. Konchesky's looking the best signing...he has a point to prove and is trying to tell every Liverpool and Forest fan they are a c**t.

Midfield better balanced for me. I think it's an error playing Danns and Fernandes in the same time, the pair of them run and run. Having two players chase everywhere can't help shape hence the reason why I'd include King every day of the week, he provides that link between midfield and striker.

I was impressed by Beckford, I saw none of the attitude I was expecting, I saw disappointing in himself, I saw him track-backing to midfield when Gelson was out of position. I saw a directness of running we haven't had for ages. No pissing about, I want to score goals. Lovely. Vassell showing why he's so much more effective centrally as he causes defenders an headache, he'll jump for every header and he'll show quick feet.

Good stuff, now we need to show some grit and show character that when nothing is working, we have a Plan B. We have a set of players who can spot a weakness of the opposition and work on it. Interesting game at Cardiff next. We're due an away performance.

It was actually the reason we won for me in a roundabout way. Sven for once had clearly done his homework, Brighton bit like us under Sousa were playing from keeper to defence. So we just stood our ground knowing the keeper wasn't going to hoof it forward. It was the main reason we won, our pressing from the front three of King, Beckford and Vassell was brilliant. What I find the most admiring thing about Barcelona is not the way they can knock the ball around for 50 passes and then create a chance but the way they press, way up the pitch...making the defender fault. We did it very well yesterday. There's some daft fact about 70% goals come from winning possession in the final third of the pitch. Hence the reasoning I really dislike these teams down the Walkers who just sit back on the half-way line.

Personally I was just rather pissed off that I'd watch near enough a minute of **** all. I pay money to watch football, it was like some daft piece of modern art.

I'd like to add I think it was a far more accomplished performance than against Southampton. We made Brighton play within themselves, we made them look poor, we made M-Smith look very average and showed that his graft can only get him so far, put him against an athlete and he can't affect the game. We completely made so called prospects in the making Buckley, Harley and Noone look poor too. Add Lua Lua to that too.

Still doubts about Mills for me, twenty minutes of playing good...70 of fluttering between donkey and average. Peltier showing the form why I rated him so high at Huddersfield, being a lot fitter he was more like a Naughton left-back. Konchesky's looking the best signing...he has a point to prove and is trying to tell every Liverpool and Forest fan they are a c**t.

Midfield better balanced for me. I think it's an error playing Danns and Fernandes in the same time, the pair of them run and run. Having two players chase everywhere can't help shape hence the reason why I'd include King every day of the week, he provides that link between midfield and striker.

I was impressed by Beckford, I saw none of the attitude I was expecting, I saw disappointing in himself, I saw him track-backing to midfield when Gelson was out of position. I saw a directness of running we haven't had for ages. No pissing about, I want to score goals. Lovely. Vassell showing why he's so much more effective centrally as he causes defenders an headache, he'll jump for every header and he'll show quick feet.

Good stuff, now we need to show some grit and show character that when nothing is working, we have a Plan B. We have a set of players who can spot a weakness of the opposition and work on it. Interesting game at Cardiff next. We're due an away performance.

Re: Beckford - at one point Vassell had chased a lost ball out for their goal kick and Beckford was telling him to get back and mark their defenders to stop the short kick. His attitude and willingness to help the team pleased me greatly.

...a goalkeeper is only allowed to hold the ball in his hands for 6 seconds, though this rule is broken generally several times every game and I've always wondered why no striker counts and appeals for it as the referee should be forced to give a free-kick to the opposition if it is brought to his attention and he realises that the GK has broken this rule

Possibly because he knows he could be cautioned for ungentlemanly conduct. It is the ref's job to be the arbiter and he does not need the help of the players.

Last edited:

I don't think it was the case that we couldn't be arsed; more that we had our shape and didn't want to give the keeper an opening.

Edit: Oh shit - the Prof already said it.

Last edited:
I don't think it was the case that we couldn't be arsed; more that we had our shape and didn't want to give the keeper an opening.

Ankergran looked reluctant to kick the ball all game, either through instruction or the fact he's not a great kicker, so I assumed our players were forcing him into a situation that made him nervous.

I've always agreed about Vassell, I really wish we'd play him centrally a lot more, I always think he looks really good when played as a striker, but completely lost when played out the wing as we usually play him, he looked completely unplayable at times yesterday.

Hopefully him and Beckford will forge a bit of strike partnership, because they looked like they could be a really, really strong strikeforce at this level yesterday.

I completely disagree. The handball looked entirely accidental to me, the ball just hit his arm, there was no intention by the Brighton player to handle the ball, whether a player stuck his arms out to make himself "wider" or not is irrelevant unless the reason he did that was to deliberately handle the ball. A hand ball has to be deliberate.

It shouldn't have been a booking or even a free-kick.

The BBC said it was "blatant". From my point-of-view, I agree with them.

The BBC said it was "blatant". From my point-of-view, I agree with them.

Without trying to sound deliberately stubborn, I genuinely think that no one in BBC sport punditry seems to know the handball rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669