Post Match Leicester City 1 Real Madrid 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, agree with what some have said about Xabi Alonso, absolute class, the way he just weighted his passes so perfectly, made the game of football look so effortless. Some of Ronaldo's trickery was better than anything I've ever seen live before too (not that there's not much competition in that department, watching Leicester).

Also, agree with what some have said about Xabi Alonso, absolute class, the way he just weighted his passes so perfectly, made the game of football look so effortless. Some of Ronaldo's trickery was better than anything I've ever seen live before too (not that there's not much competition in that department, watching Leicester).

I'd agree to an extent, I got the feeling when he was on the ball that he was just doing tricks for the sake of it, when any other player would've simply just passed it back to a team mate.

**** Ron liddle. Who are you???
According to Wikipedia, Rod Liddle "is an English print, radio, television journalist and hate-mongering Islamophobe and racist." He's also a Millwall fan and a woman-beating piece of shit. None of his opinions are worth wiping your arse on. I could happily stamp on his face for the rest of eternity.

According to Wikipedia, Rod Liddle "is an English print, radio, television journalist and hate-mongering Islamophobe and racist." He's also a Millwall fan and a woman-beating piece of shit. None of his opinions are worth wiping your arse on. I could happily stamp on his face for the rest of eternity.

Well said. He's utterly vile. A proper, grade-A cnut.

A nice report showing us in a very positive light for once.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/30/leicester-city-real-madrid-friendly

My impresion is that fans of most clubs believe the media is against them. The Telegraph is usually kind to Leicester and I get the impression that is true of other papers. The more reasonable complaint is that the media concentrate on the London clubs, Manchester clubs and Liverpool. The press would no doubt claim that more people are interested in these than say Bolton or Wolves. Our not being in the Prem means that we get ingored even more.

Rod Liddle in the Sunday Times "one can but hope they will fail. There is something singularly irritating and ineffectual about Sven"

I think we are going to have to get used to being the Man c/Chelsea of the division. Comes with the territory.

Is that is the kind of profound journalism people get if they are willing to pay to get behind the Times paywall.

The fact that so many people hate SGE just says it all about how the media completely destroy everyone who ever manages England and that includes Alf Ramsey. He always comes across as one of the most down to earth, gentlemanly and professional people in the game.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want to take the England manager's job.

We know Rod Liddell finds Sven irritating. That does not add up to many people hating him. Of course if Sven is irritating what on earth does Me Liddle think of Neil Warnock.
I would be surprised if fans of Gothenberg or Benfica thought Sven ineffectual. The Lazio fans I talked to in Rome would regard him as being as ineffectual as Brian Clough.

Sir Alf was a serious man who valued discpline and integrity. He would not and could not hide his contempt for British journalism. Even Bobby Robson who was much more tolerant than Alf was crucified - on one flight to an away match for an "easy" game Robson was told by a Mirror journalist that he hoped England would lose as it would make a bigger story. With a few exceptions England has had exceptionally able managers. When one leader fails you get rid of him; when leader after leader fails you realise the problem goes deeper.

Once you stop being England manager you usually get treated well by the press who realise that the current England manager is much worse than you - Sven was especially lucky in that his successor really was poor.

Also, agree with what some have said about Xabi Alonso, absolute class, the way he just weighted his passes so perfectly, made the game of football look so effortless. Some of Ronaldo's trickery was better than anything I've eveseen live before r too (not that there's not much competition in that department, watching Leicester).

I don't know how old you are Profondo but if you like tricky number sevens you would have loved Stanley Matthews . This is from a website called Untold Arsenal. The Dennis mentioned was a very fine fullback called Dennis Evans.

Matthews doesn’t get a reputation such as he had without some genius in his feet. He trapped a half volley and in the same movement, went to go inside Dennis. …and the crowd swayed inside to follow the play. Which was why we (the crowd and Dennis) were all off balance when Matthews went the other way. …and we (the crowd and Denis) all finished up on our arses!

Of course Ronaldo does his trickery on wonderful pitches with a much lighter football.

I don't know how old you are Profondo but if you like tricky number sevens you would have loved Stanley Matthews . This is from a website called Untold Arsenal. The Dennis mentioned was a very fine fullback called Dennis Evans.

Matthews doesn’t get a reputation such as he had without some genius in his feet. He trapped a half volley and in the same movement, went to go inside Dennis. …and the crowd swayed inside to follow the play. Which was why we (the crowd and Dennis) were all off balance when Matthews went the other way. …and we (the crowd and Denis) all finished up on our arses!

Of course Ronaldo does his trickery on wonderful pitches with a much lighter football.

Yes, and if Matthews were playing today he wouldn't get anywhere near a Championship team, never mind the Premier League. I never saw him play but have watched football live since 1957. If you think players of that era could compete with those of today you are very sadly deluded. To say they were pedestrian is an understatement.

He gifted Madrid their first goal as well.

Nothing to do with being "the new scapegoat," he just had an extremely poor game yesterday.

Last edited:
Yes, and if Matthews were playing today he wouldn't get anywhere near a Championship team, never mind the Premier League. I never saw him play but have watched football live since 1957. If you think players of that era could compete with those of today you are very sadly deluded. To say they were pedestrian is an understatement.

This is known as "The Jesse Owens Fallacy." Jesse Owens was the greatest sprinter between the wars but these days any top sprinter will beat Owens times therefore if Jesse Owens were around had been born in say 1986 he would not have become a top sprinter. Of course Owens would have adapted.

If Matthews was a young man today he would have got used to the modern tempo and learned to be more of a team player helping his fullback which in the 1950s was not expected of him. Similarly a player of Ronaldo's gifts would have been a great player in the Fifties adapting to the methods of that time and the terrible pitches.

A great player of one age would have been a great player of any age with I would argue two exceptions. Goalkeeping has changed beyond recognition. Being small was often seen as an advantage for goalkeepers as they could get down quickly. Nowadays they are expected to go for crosses which used to be left to the centre half. Small goalkeepers like Hopkinson and Springett would have found that very difficult. The great "hard men" like Eddie Clamp and Nat Lofthouse had ability as well as hardness. However, modern refereing would take away their greatest weapon and they would not have been anywhere near as good. The Bolton side of the 1950s would have struggled to keep players on the field today.

The first necessity of any top sportsman is genetic ability. Given that the sportsman will adapt to the game he grows up in.
Sir Alex would love to have a young Bobby Charlton while Matt Busby would have loved to have Wayne Rooney. Talent will out.

What a crass comment.
Totally hypothetical statement as well.
Have you ever kicked a sodden ball from the 50's & 60's.
If you could adapt to the game back then, I'm sure you could adapt to today's game. Whereas I'm not sure the reverse would be true.

What a crass comment.
Totally hypothetical statement as well.
Have you ever kicked a sodden ball from the 50's & 60's.
If you could adapt to the game back then, I'm sure you could adapt to today's game. Whereas I'm not sure the reverse would be true.

Exactly. i expect quite a few of todays 'Stars' wouldn't have made it without the ideal training facilities, scientific coaching, and the pampered lifestyle that modern footballers benefit from.

This is known as "The Jesse Owens Fallacy." Jesse Owens was the greatest sprinter between the wars but these days any top sprinter will beat Owens times therefore if Jesse Owens were around had been born in say 1986 he would not have become a top sprinter. Of course Owens would have adapted.

That's the point I wanted to make. Physically, all athletes and sports people are fitter and bigger than their counterparts of 50 years ago so their performances are naturally better and faster. Sir Stan was undoubtedly one of the best talents of his generation but I'd rather watch Ronaldo now than Matthews back then. Yes it's all hypothetical. We can look back in time with affection and nostalgia but, thankfully, human beings will always strive to be better, stronger, faster and more skilled.

The overall experience of the day was top notch - mostly because we took my 5-year old nephew down. He had been playing as Madrid on his Playstation all week. The freebie activities in the fan village went down a treat.

I thought Sol Bamba played brilliantly. He has to be nailed-on to start against Cov after that performance. Peltier stood up very well to Ronaldo and Konchesky was very composed and showed some good passing into Nugent.

I wasn;t actually impressed with Danns. A lot of running around with no end product, gave the ball away too often. King looked lots better IMO. Johnson obviously needs fitness but he looked like he will be a good player for us (I'm not sure where they will all fit!).

The most promising thing for me was seeing Yuki Abe bollocking his teammates when they did something wrong. Last year he was silent. Hopefully we will see him develop into a really commanding presence this season.

I was pleased to see Ronaldo's flicks and tricks (I don't know why anyone would complain), I just wish more of their players would do it. The main reason for me going to the game was to see the Real players, rather than city, but most of them were disappointingly lacking in the entertainment factor. Xabi Alonso was quality too - I've never watched someone so calm on the ball, and he didn't give the ball away once.

A really good eveningout, good atmosphere, lovely weather and a chance to see La Liga players you normally only see on TV. The game was OK, a friendly between two teams that wanted game time for players but no injuries. Some nice touches and moves from both sides. Real seemed to be everywhere the ball was before we knew what was happening, and seemed so much more comfortable with the ball. We seemed to want to make the killer touch almost everytime, they didnt mind going back or sideways until thyey were ready to try something offensive. But I guess that's not going to happen much in the Championship is it? Not sure what it told me about my team, other than there were a lot of new faces who will need time to settle in and work togther on their own game/fitness, team game plans, tactics or whatever. I'm sure next week's game will be a different thing altogether, and I'm sure after 10 games things will be much more settled. As an event it was great evening and I was pleased to be there. I am confident we will have a team worth watching this season.

i saw way back in the bobby chalton jimmy greaves era and saw them all down at filbert street,but for me there was one man that would have made todays prem that was george best ,he was a star

i saw way back in the bobby charlton jimmy greaves era and saw them all down at filbert street,but for me there was one man that would have made todays prem that was george best ,he was a star

Are you honestly trying to tell us that two of England's best players since WWII couldn't hack it in the PL. :119:

yes steven i truely believe that ,in todays game there is much more pace than there was in those days,but georgy had such great skills ,id put well past even rinaldo,in todays game it is played totally differently

When you think of the advances in the facilities, coaching and science in the game today, you could argue that the likes of Charlton, Best, Greaves would be even better than the current crop of stars if they had the same support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669